Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-28-2006, 10:30 PM #1
MPC
gettin jiggy wit it

has been a member for 10 years
PC Cleaning and Static Guide

Static Protection

This guide was written for the novice computer builder. More experienced upgraders have by now already developed their own personal technique to avoid static damage.

Static electricity is present all around us. This harmless thing can turn devastating when dealing with computer parts. There have been plenty of threads here on “how to I avoid static shock” so I have made this guide for all of the new computer builders.

It only takes 400 volts to zap a computer part. You will not even feel the shocking sensation and this is what makes static so dangerous. The computer parts may seem just fine but in a matter of week could be dead. Static electricity can not be eliminated only discouraged and that is why I have made this thread.

You can control it if you are experienced enough, touching the computer case before touching each component but it is a risky procedure.
To minimize static the greatest amount possible, follow some steps.

The Almighty Wrist Strap – now I am sure that all of you new computer builders have heard of the grounding strap. If you are using one of these anti-static straps, read the directions carefully as to how to connect it so you are properly grounded. You can buy an anti-static strap for as little as $10. An anti-static band is certainly better than just taking a chance with your new components.

Grounding Pads – all of you new computer builders have also probably heard of these. I realize that you want to take ever precaution to avoid damage, but these are not needed. Unless you work with computers on a daily basis, these are not worth the price tag.
A Table – the best place to work on your pc is a clear table. Make sure that electronics and other electric devices are away from you. If you are on a carpet floor do not wear socks. Also avoid anything that is plastic around you; move it away.

The Rolling Chair of Death – When you are working on assembling your new computer, stand up. A rolling computer chair creates incredible amounts of static and is something to avoid whenever working on the inside of your precious pc.

Is it Humid?
- Within limits, a humid area is ideal. Never work in a cold place where humidity is low. Static charges build up quickly in low humidity areas. If you can, it is not a bad idea to open a window on a summer day. Also avoid extremely hot days when your air conditioning is turned up high. Anything too dry should be avoided if possible.

WARNING: INSTALL THE ****ING STANDOFFS FOR YOUR BOARD - FAILING TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN FRIED BOARDS

Motherboard Stand-Offs – after being contacted by a user here...cough EGO_FREAK cough cough, I decided to add these to the list for new builders who are not already aware of their use. The motherboard needs some support underneath to stop it cracking when you push in the CPU or any of the PCI or ISA cards. Five small rubber pyramids were provided for this purpose and these were placed accordingly. The motherboard doesn't actually touch the case and sits on top of a series of spacers to stop any short circuits. The spacers should be fitted before placing the motherboard on top of these and the rubber support blocks. Carefully screw down the board. This is completely needed when installing the motherboard or else your computer will just be a big heavy box, that won’t power on. If you think this is your problem ask EGO_FREAK. He will be able to describe it thoroughly .

_________________________________________-

Cleaning the Computer

It is important to clean the inside of your computer at the very least, once a year. I suggest, however, that if you use your computer regularly, to clean it at least every six months. Usually you can tell when the pc needs it because of increased heat of course, dust. The fans in your computer will keep the parts cool but unfortunately bring a lot of grime and dirt inside of the computer. This dust will cause parts to overheat and if left unattended to, failure.

The Keyboard and Mouse
– It is important that you do not leave these input devices out when cleaning your computer. Germs and bacteria find their way in between keys on the keyboard and buttons on the mouse. Your fingers also leave deposits of dead skin in between the keys.

Getting started
- To perform a complete cleaning, which includes cleaning the power supply; you need to remove all the exterior electrical cords and cables from your computer case. Most computers, and system boards, do not ever fully power off as long as they are plugged in. Most computers use color coded cables, and most cables can only fit one way. To make it easier to reconnect the cables when the cleaning is done, make a diagram and label where each cable connects to the computer. You can also use a digital camera to recreate the cable connections, both outside and inside the case. Let the computer cool to room temperature (at least 15 minutes) before cleaning the inside of the case. It is also a good idea to wear an anti-static wrist strip to reduce transferring static electricity from your body to the computer.

Your computer should be placed on a clean lint-free surface. (Not laid on the carpet.) Since your body may have static electricity, do not touch anything on the inside of the computer until you either put on an antistatic wristband, or place your hand on the metal frame of the computer case.

Can of air – using a can of compressed air is a simple and easy way to remove dust from the inside of the pc. Make sure it is tilted upright as if it is not the can will release harmful chemical that can damage not only components, but can burn the skin.

Portable Vacuum
– It is perfectly alright to use a portable vacuum to clean the exterior of the computer, but the vacuum should never get near any of the computer’s internal parts as the static electricity will cause heavy damage.

Cleaning the Monitor
- Cloths used to clean eyeglasses and camera lenses can also be used to clean the delicate surfaces of LCD screens and CRT monitors. Do not use paper towels or an old rag to clean delicate surfaces of a computer. Paper products contain cellulose which can scratch delicate surfaces. In addition, avoid products that contain lotions which will leave streaks on your computer equipment.

Cleaning the Power Supply
- Never open the power supply case. Even an unplugged power supply can produce an electrical shock. When the power supply is working, it draws heated air (and grime) from your computer case. Some of this grime and dirt will settle on the vents and the blades of the power supply unit fans. The compressed air should be sprayed directly into the power supply vents from inside the case, so the grime exits out of the back of the case. Have a vacuum cleaner handy to collect this grime as it comes out.
If the power supply is dirty, then the air entering the power supply from inside the case was also dirty. That air comes from the vents, usually located on the front of the PC. The mostly decorative plastic bezel should be removed by bending a couple of plastic prongs. More than likely, you will be surprised by the gunk that has accumulated between the bezel and the case. The bezel and the front of the case need to be wiped with the moist cloth.

It is also important to never breath or blow onto components to clean them. The moisture of your breath can cause damage.

The last step is to raise the computer off of the floor and onto a desk. There is more dust trapped on the floor which ultimately will result in a dirtier computer.

Last edited by MPC : 12-29-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2006, 10:31 PM #2
MPC
gettin jiggy wit it

How to Clean an LCD

Why? Dirt, dust, and finger prints can cause the computer screen to be difficult to read.

Procedure: Unlike a CRT monitor, the LCD / flat-panel display is not made of glass, therefore requires special cleaning procedures.

When cleaning the LCD screen it is important to remember to not spray any liquids onto the LCD directly; do not use a paper towel as it may cause the LCD to become scratched.

To clean the LCD screen Irecommend that you use a soft cotton cloth; if a dry cloth does not completely clean the screen, you can apply rubbing alcohol to the cloth and wipe the screen with the damp cloth. Rubbing alcohol is actually used to clean the LCD before it leaves the factory.

How to Clean a CRT

Why? Dirt, dust, and fingerprints can cause the computer screen to be difficult to read.

Procedure: The glass monitor screen can be cleaned with ordinary household glass cleaner. Be sure to remove power from the monitor and spray the cleaner onto a lint free-cloth so the fluid doesn't leak into the electrical components inside the monitor. Vacuum off any dust that has settled on top of the monitor, and make sure no books or papers have been placed on the air vents. Obstructed monitor vents can cause the monitor to overheat or even catch on fire.

*Warning: I suggest using a cloth dampened with water when cleaning monitor on a screen that is not made of glass or has any type of anti-glare protection on the screen. Using ordinary household glass cleaner on special screens, especially cleaners with ammonia can remove anti-glare protection and/or other special surfaces.

Last edited by MPC : 12-29-2006 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:55 PM #3
Teampredator

nice
Old 12-28-2006, 11:56 PM #4
AR55
conch shell warrior

AR55 is a Supporting Member
microfiber cloths.

Last edited by AR55 : 12-29-2006 at 12:11 AM. Reason: added an extra "e"
Old 12-29-2006, 12:10 AM #5
Eugooogaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR55 View Post
microfiber clothes.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:05 AM #6
MPC
gettin jiggy wit it

fixed
Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 AM #7
Michael Barch
hi

Michael Barch is a Supporting Member
Michael Barch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Michael Barch has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I would say people should clean there computers more than at least once a year. I try to unplug everything from mine and take it out to the garage to get sprayed down with the air compressor at the very MOST, every 3 months. I guess it really depends how much dust accumulates inside your PC though, I use mine a lot, and it does collect a lot of dust.

As for cleaning the inside of the keyboard...I'm pretty sure it's safe to say I fail, really bad. I'm fat, though, so its normal to have left over food between my keys from 2 years ago. Or is it?

Again, props to you.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 AM #8
crazzzy609 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Barch View Post
I would say people should clean there computers more than at least once a year. I try to unplug everything from mine and take it out to the garage to get sprayed down with the air compressor at the very MOST, every 3 months. I guess it really depends how much dust accumulates inside your PC though, I use mine a lot, and it does collect a lot of dust.

As for cleaning the inside of the keyboard...I'm pretty sure it's safe to say I fail, really bad. I'm fat, though, so its normal to have left over food between my keys from 2 years ago. Or is it?

Again, props to you.
air compressors can shoot bits at ur comp u dun wana **** it up now
Old 12-29-2006, 01:48 PM #9
paintballer467

So...should I be cleaning my laptop out? I've had it for like a year and I just clean the keyboard/touch pad and the screen.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:52 PM #10
MPC
gettin jiggy wit it

If you are going to clean a laptop, do not open it up. If you can see dust build up when you look in the fan vents then you should blow it out with compressed air. You just have to clean the keys and screen if there is no apparent dust.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:55 PM #11
Michael Barch
hi

Michael Barch is a Supporting Member
Michael Barch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Michael Barch has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzzy609 View Post
air compressors can shoot bits at ur comp u dun wana **** it up now
I been using the compressor for I don't know how many years...not a problem. It's pointless to spend money on a can full of air, when I got a compressor.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:33 PM #12
MPC
gettin jiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Barch View Post
I been using the compressor for I don't know how many years...not a problem. It's pointless to spend money on a can full of air, when I got a compressor.
and since you are experienced you have your own way of doing things I used to use an air compressor
Old 12-29-2006, 07:07 PM #13
youm0nt

good thread since i upgraded my graphics card today. would you quickly know if you "shocked" lets say a graphics card and damaged it? or do you find out if you try starting up?
LIK member #5
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY? gtfo now
Old 12-29-2006, 08:38 PM #14
MPC
gettin jiggy wit it

Most shocks you will not feel. You will only notice it a week or so later when the video card won't power on. You should be alright though I wouldn't worry too much

If you DO feel a shock from touching a componenet, that part took an extreme amount of electrivity and I highly suggest praying
Old 12-29-2006, 10:46 PM #15
OA Baller
RIP Will S,Chris G,Nina M

OA Baller is a Supporting Member
you really like these guides dont you.