PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-24-2015, 08:45 AM #1
MadMax

has been a member for 10 years
What Markers Hold Their Value Best?

Dropping hard earned cash on a marker is a big decision. This thread is to help you stay informed on which markers will have the best return on investment.

If someone who has been doing this awhile wants to write a post on when to sell your market for the most return, that would be pretty handy.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2015, 09:35 AM #2
BigPumpPlayer

BigPumpPlayer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Holding their value, custom limited milled markers do best. Twister LV1's for example are selling for more than their original price.

CCM pumps hold up nicely to the market.

Basically any common release marker will plummet if bought new which is why the lightly used market is so popular, the initial hit is already gone. If buying new shoot for an uncommon edition of a marker, being uncommon but generically desirable is key. Team editions are too specific and have barely any increased value if at all, but custom killings and designs that appeal to everyone stay better desired. Hope this helps in some way.
Proud BOB WHITE #52
Fur Emek (literally)
Texas Sunset Orracle Pump
Murder Dye Dsr
Valken Proton TrollTown edition
BigPumpPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:22 AM #3
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
which markers will have the best return on investment.
This is going to be incredibly few and far between. It will be limited to custom milled and short run markers. But later the release of something similar/better can then make the original's value tank.

Even then it is guess work. After seeing prices for used GSL's being higher than retail, I almost bought a couple Reptile's with the intent to resell for profit. That would have been a huge mistake.

Buying markers as an investment is a futile endeavor. Buying markers that may hold more of their value for longer is next to pointless. Buying a marker that you will enjoy should be your goal. If it ends up holding or gaining value that is just a happy bonus.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:52 AM #4
jestep

What span of time are you referring to?

Also, if you're worried about resale, don't buy new in the first place. They're like cars, the second you take them off the lot, their resale drops substantially and this is exacerbated with the manufacturers that like to produce a newer version every year.

After the initial drop, the higher quality markers typically have a slower slide into oblivion.

Super long term, just about everything is going to trend towards zero with the exception of a few very rare or highly desirable models, J12 comes immediately to mind at least for a newer marker. But it's more or less gambling trying to gauge what interest there will be on any marker over a length of time. As soon as CCM makes a J20, or decides to mass produce the J12 afterall, the value of it may completely tank.

Industry trends can drastically change the value of entire groups of markers as well. Poppet valve markers are getting about the lowest resale I've ever seen even though many models are completely suitable for any level of tournament play.

As for when to sell, for the majority of all markers there won't be any benefit to waiting longer to sell.
jestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:03 PM #5
mueller
hypocriticizer

Quote:
What Markers Hold Their Value Best?
Ones that already depreciated 75%.
mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:16 PM #6
IamRedruM

IamRedruM has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
IamRedruM is attending Decay of Nations VI
It's all been summed up nicely. Buying markers as an investment is not a bright idea, unless you find a lot of unicorns for super cheap. The way most people make money by investing in gear, is buying low and selling high. That's why there is so many "pawnshops" in the WTB forum. I'll use the Shocker as an example. Personally I don't like them, so I don't have any qualms about selling them. They are $800 new. Already they are selling around $600. Now if I could buy 3 at $400, that's a good investment because I can get $600 a piece. And there is no threat of me keeping one, so the investment is good. However I loves me some CCM'S, so finding a couple cheap ones, will not be a smart investment because I'd more likely keep 1 or 2. It's definitely better to buy something you like, than to buy something to make money on. Unless you get it cheap enough.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:49 AM #7
kool_aid22
SlimCardCashian

kool_aid22 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
kool_aid22 is Legendary
kool_aid22 is Boss
kool_aid22 supports DLX Technology
overall, id say PE guns have held their value much more than Dye guns recently. Private label and rare/vintage guns will always hold their value or even go up.
kool_aid22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:37 PM #8
Fllax40

Hi everyone. I was looking to sell my red Impulse special edition Ton Ton with freak barrel, blade trigger, vision, drop forward and adjustable feed neck. Any ideas what I should be asking?
Fllax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:06 PM #9
CPT@sales
Ultra Master Tech

CPT@sales supports DLX Technology
Factory custom/Limited run markers. (lets say less than ~100)
Pump markers
Mechanical markers
CPT@sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:34 PM #10
IamRedruM

IamRedruM has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
IamRedruM is attending Decay of Nations VI
FLLAX, pm me pictures
Old 11-28-2015, 05:44 AM #11
seekandestroy78
still snoop and d.r.e.

plays in the NXL
seekandestroy78 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
seekandestroy78 plays in the APPA D4 division
seekandestroy78 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueller View Post
Ones that already depreciated 75%.
Exactly. Unnless you're buying something from 2010 or older and the price really just cant go any lower, you will probably end up taking a loss or breaking even. But i see breaking even as winning if i used the gun a significant amount of times.
P.Allen Industries
seekandestroy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:45 AM #12
seekandestroy78
still snoop and d.r.e.

plays in the NXL
seekandestroy78 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
seekandestroy78 plays in the APPA D4 division
seekandestroy78 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Knowing your market is also key. You probably cant give Automag parts away on the bst forum here, but you can get top dollar on AO or MCB.
P.Allen Industries
seekandestroy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:05 PM #13
gunhero5
High Fives & Good Vibes

gunhero5 is a Moderator
gunhero5 is a Supporting Member
gunhero5 supports Bob Gurnsey
gunhero5 supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueller View Post