Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM #148
artimus89
Patty Q

artimus89 is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearthesheep View Post
Dumb question, but for non-car-owning Chicago denizens, how are you getting out there (or how do you normally get to CPX)?

I moved to Chicago not too long ago (LP/Old Town/Gold Coast) and haven't made the trek yet. Renting a car for the weekend? Zipcar? Metra? Get some carpools going?
If you rent a car hit lakeshore drive south or 55 south (same thing) until you reach I 80 East which will take you right to the park via route 6. Or you can take a train from Lasalle to downtown Joliet were you only about 10min from the park. Ethier way your only about at about 45min without any traffic or roughly hour and half by metra.
artimus89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 PM #149
artimus89
Patty Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakewarrior7 View Post
I know this will probably get me shot... a lot... but are there any vegan or vegetarian dishes available? I'm good with burgers and brats for every meal of the day, but I'm bringing my girlfriend (yes she plays. PUMP) and if it was at 1 time covered with scales, fur, or feathers she won't eat it.

For the locals: Any "must eat at" places? It will be our 1st time to the chicago area.

Any hotels to absolutely avoid?

I know California has emission laws and my car is not welcome, I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything, but are there any vehicle restrictions?

I know Illinois has very strict CC laws so we are leaving them at home, but are there any other random laws to be mindful of? Oklahoma is kind of a land of do whatever you want as long as it doesn't bother anybody else kinda state.

Giordanos, Portillos are the two big franchises that I can think of that give quailty food. You can find them all over the downtown area as well as the burbs. Avoid the Joliet inn, Budget inn Express, anything off route 52 I would avoid. I would Stay by Mall Loop Drive the motel 6 can get a little shady but nothing you'd feel uncomfortable at night about. Check Holbolt road by the I-80 exit, its actually alot closer to the park and there is a complex of hotels.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:41 PM #150
tomc727
TommyC

Annual Supporting Member
tomc727 is BST Trusted
tomc727 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tomc727 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tomc727 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
tomc727 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by artimus89 View Post
Giordanos, Portillos are the two big franchises that I can think of that give quailty food. You can find them all over the downtown area as well as the burbs. Avoid the Joliet inn, Budget inn Express, anything off route 52 I would avoid. I would Stay by Mall Loop Drive the motel 6 can get a little shady but nothing you'd feel uncomfortable at night about. Check Holbolt road by the I-80 exit, its actually alot closer to the park and there is a complex of hotels.
Portillo's is not a franchise. :-)

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.

Planet Eclipse LV1
tomc727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:05 AM #151
artimus89
Patty Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc727 View Post
Portillo's is not a franchise. :-)
Huh well what do you know, always assumed as I seen a decent amount popping up in the surrounding areas so quickly. Great now I want Portillo's.... double bacon heart attack city... soo goood..
Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 AM #152
tomc727
TommyC

Annual Supporting Member
tomc727 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by artimus89 View Post
Huh well what do you know, always assumed as I seen a decent amount popping up in the surrounding areas so quickly. Great now I want Portillo's.... double bacon heart attack city... soo goood..
I miss it so much. Everytime I come home, that's my first stop after landing at Midway.

All Portillo's locations are owned by one person - Dick Portillo, therefore, Portillo's is not a franchise.

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.

Planet Eclipse LV1
Old 04-10-2014, 02:58 PM #153
tomc727
TommyC

Annual Supporting Member
tomc727 is BST Trusted
Now I really want Portillo's, too.

2 Hot Dogs w/ Everything.
Sometimes a Beef Sandwich.

SO GOOD!!!!

Planet Eclipse LV1