PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM #1
WillIbe

FS8 shootdown issue

Hi,

I had been using my FS8 fairly regularly, it always suffered from terrible FSDO to the point where I would just have to pull the trigger 10-20 times before it would start shooting, then it would work fine all day.

The other day it did the standard thing, but now once it starts working it might give one solid shot, then it starts puffing in the grip and the bolt doesnt move. Let it sit and get another solid shot, then it puffs and no bolt movement.

I tried relubing the HP and LP regs, and rebalanced them, it seemed to work OK for a little bit when i lowered the LP reg quite a bit, but then it did the same thing.

Also, once I did get it kind of working, it suddenly got some weird wear on top of the bolt like it was rubbing badly, so that kind of sucks too.

I am using a fresh battery, superlube on the bolt, and dow33 in the regs, and Kila board.

I was thinking that maybe my LP spring is screwed up, so I will swap that when mess with it next, but i at least wanted to see if anybody could give an obvious solution or some better direction to trouble shooting.

I appreciate your insight.

-Will
"Originally posted by PBMT: Oh, and btw, you worrying about grammar on internet forums is like watching a special olympics race judge yelling at a contestant for going outside of his lines on the track...no one cares and you look like an idiot doing so."
WillIbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 PM #2
63VDub

has been a member for 10 years
I have had several old bushmasters exhibit the same symptoms, and it was blamed on a dying noid. However, with some experimentation, I found out that i had gummy lube in the noid. That can happen if you overlube the regs some and the lube gums on the pilot orings in the noid. Couple of different fixes for this, I suggest a little superlube in the input of your LPR (three-four drops) and then dry fire about 20 times. That should thin the lube out on your pilot. If not, you may need to pull the pilot on the noid and wipedown the orings and relube with oil.

Wear on the bolt sounds like maybe your feedneck is protruding into the breech a little.

I am at the pinnacle of mediocrity.

Wiring problems? I know the man who can hook you up with a brand new FURIOUS harness!!CLICK HERE!

http://www.icd-owners.com/ It's where you need to be.
63VDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM #3
krupasjeans
happy day

VDub has some good insight there. Be careful if you take the solenoid off the manifold. The ICD Freestyle manifolds have a history of stripping out easily. Just make sure you don't put to much pressure in screwing in those small screws that mount the solenoid to the manifold. You want enough pressure to seal the noid the manifold, but not much more than that.

I've got another idea that you can try. I know FSDO is commonly caused by an LPR that is creeping. LPR creep can be caused by a faulty seal in the LPR. I don't know what LPR you're using, but if it's a stock one, tear it down and try flipping the seal (that little urethane doughnut thing).
krupasjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM #4
maloneoni
The Ronin

I'd say they have this pretty much locked down.

Everything moves freely in the bolt system?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 PM #5
WillIbe

Ok the only thing I didn't do was try pulling the shaft out of the noid just for the fact that I didn't feel up for it, the cold weather might be causing it to be stickier than usual so that makes a lot of sense

As for the other issues, I had fairly recently rebuilt the regs using parts from a promaster kit, but I will try flipping the donut and see what happens

In addition, all bolt parts move freely

I will also back out the feedneck and see if I can stop the wear.

Thanks for the thoughts!
"Originally posted by PBMT: Oh, and btw, you worrying about grammar on internet forums is like watching a special olympics race judge yelling at a contestant for going outside of his lines on the track...no one cares and you look like an idiot doing so."
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 PM #6
Nobody609

Nobody609 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
don't forget that the reg needs to seal against the seat, so you might have some leaking while trying this.

i believe that its in the LPR. i don't care for any of the dow, so i'm thinking that its causing a little swelling of the orings. i would clean it off, then use superlube.

also, what kind of regs are you using? stock or aftermarket?
Nobody609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 PM #7
WillIbe

I pulled the noid shaft and the little delrin thingy, cleaned and lightly coated, also finally swapped the rear manifold oring and front manifold hose to stop the tiny leak I have lived with for some time. I also flipped the LP reg seat (which is still in good shape) and relubed the LP reg.

It will still do the 'one shot then puff' unless the regs are balanced just right, so I'll just have to really keep an eye on that. Strange though that it seems to randomly have gotten sand in its clam.

I just hope it's consistent over the chrono, I really enjoy using this gun when it's working properly.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 PM #8
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
This could also be caused by an HPR that's too high or dirty, poor battery or damaged wiring.
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack

FS: G6R $525 shipped and paypal'd
FallNAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM #9
kwik
Herbal Cultivar M.D.

Annual Supporting Member
kwik is a Supporting Member
kwik is playing at Living Legends VI
kwik is playing at Living Legends VII
kwik supports Team VICIOUS
kwik supports Pev's Paintball
kwik is Legendary
kwik supports Empire
in my FSP the FSDO was always worse when I had the LPR too high, these are finisky beasts and the slightest adjustments can make a big difference, im talking like 1/32 turns on the LPR can be night and day for me.

I still get FSDO occasionally but 1-2 clearing shots and it is fine until I let it sit for a while again.

Let us know how it works out for u.

ICD-Owners
kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM #10
vector911

vector911 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
all my FS8 and 2x fs4s had fsdo
NXT/impulse/luxe threaded pipe barrel kit
vector911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 PM #11
WillIbe

Back at it again, I'll be messing with it this weekend.

It will shoot, and if I try to shoot at all fast it just putt putts.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM #12
krupasjeans
happy day

If it shoots fine when you're firing slowly, then pufts pufts when you start shooting fast, there's probably an air flow restriction somewhere.

I'd consider tearing down the HPR and LPRs again and maybe try lubing them with superlube. You probably just only need to lube the pistons up.

If you can, I'd suggest swapping out the HPR with another one to see if that helps.

Make sure your ASA is screwed in and depressing the bottle reg well enough. Heck, maybe try using another bottle if you can.

One other thing, some people have reported problems with shoot down due to excess lube on the power tube tip. I know that was a problem with the earlier models, I'm not sure if that's the case with the 8 models. But it can't hurt to tear down the bolt and wipe the lube off of the power tube tip.
Below is a crappy pic describing the place you should clear of lube.

And one last thing. Verify your dwell. I think FS8's like a 12-14ms dwell.
krupasjeans is offline   Reply With Quote