Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-25-2010, 12:49 PM #127
gnarlyswine

I never purchase from anywhere that ships UPS , in or out of Canada. And I make a point of letting sellers know that it is due to the undisclosed brokerage fee practice when items cross the border. There is no justification for it if they wont disclose how the tarrifs are calculated. As far as im concerned that is pretty much fraud.
Ill happily pay any customs fee or tax incured through shipping via USPS as I am satisfied that they are legitimate.
I agree that although it is a legal requirement , paying tax on a used item (not import duty) is morally wrong and as far as I am concerned the Govt is cheating its citizens. A Tax has already been paid on that item.

For the most part I have generally read that if you live near a border it may be worthwhile renting a US postyal box and collecting from that address to avoid a number of the fees.
gnarlyswine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2010, 01:16 PM #128
Psycho D
Say Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlyswine View Post
I never purchase from anywhere that ships UPS , in or out of Canada. And I make a point of letting sellers know that it is due to the undisclosed brokerage fee practice when items cross the border. There is no justification for it if they wont disclose how the tarrifs are calculated. As far as im concerned that is pretty much fraud.
Ill happily pay any customs fee or tax incured through shipping via USPS as I am satisfied that they are legitimate.
I agree that although it is a legal requirement , paying tax on a used item (not import duty) is morally wrong and as far as I am concerned the Govt is cheating its citizens. A Tax has already been paid on that item.

For the most part I have generally read that if you live near a border it may be worthwhile renting a US postyal box and collecting from that address to avoid a number of the fees.
Actually, both UPS and FedEx will disclose to you how their fees are calculated. All you have to do is phone them. I have a list from both companies as to how much brokerage they charge based on the value of the shipment. As a rule any shipment valued at more than $20.00 CDN shipped to Canada is charged brokerage, any shipment sent to the U.S. from Canada with a value of more than $200.00 is charged brokerage.
Brokerage is charged in increments as the value of the shipment goes up and only pertains to Ground shipments.
That being said, I agree with the rest of your post, especially about fees being charged and how we get ripped off in the first place or on used goods and the post office is definitely the only way to go.
If I have to use UPS or FedEx to get something from the U.S. I have the shipper place a $20.00 value on it or call it a gift, if possible, that way there is no brokerage, however the only problem with that is if the package goes missing or gets lost, they will only reimburse you the declared value of the shipment. It's kind of a Catch 22.
Fortunately, I do live close to the U.S. border and I have a mailing address in the States so I can pick up packages and save money in shipping costs.
Even shipping to Canada without brokerage fees is still very expensive so this helps a lot. Just my $0.02
Psycho D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:04 AM #129
gnarlyswine

Well maybe the issues with lack of clarity Ive had have been more local then. I have called (UPS) - I have not been afforded and explanation. (UPS delivery is also hopeless in my area - and ive no doubt that is very much a local issue). I send quite a lot by various courier services through my work and have become aware of certain depots and areas that are more problematic.

"As a rule any shipment valued at more than $20.00 CDN shipped to Canada is charged brokerage, any shipment sent to the U.S. from Canada with a value of more than $200.00 is charged brokerage."

That is beyond F$$$$d up and I have to wonder if its even legal under NAFTA - its the same trade structure / harmonization either way so how can it be justified that Canada pays so much more ? So I wont be a party to it.

I know its an issue thats been discussed ad nauseum , and not likely to be going away anytime soon. Its just unfortunate that many US retailers are very unaware of what happens when they ship over the border and still happily use UPS as a result - losing customers. I know there is an argument for supporting local retailers and I do to some extent agree. if its available localy and not vastly more expensive I will purchase there instead. But if we are being bent over pricewise because of being a captive market then really - why on earth do we put up with NAFTA?
gnarlyswine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:31 AM #130
Psycho D
Say Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlyswine View Post

"As a rule any shipment valued at more than $20.00 CDN shipped to Canada is charged brokerage, any shipment sent to the U.S. from Canada with a value of more than $200.00 is charged brokerage."

That is beyond F$$$$d up and I have to wonder if its even legal under NAFTA - its the same trade structure / harmonization either way so how can it be justified that Canada pays so much more ? So I wont be a party to it.

I know its an issue thats been discussed ad nauseum , and not likely to be going away anytime soon. Its just unfortunate that many US retailers are very unaware of what happens when they ship over the border and still happily use UPS as a result - losing customers. I know there is an argument for supporting local retailers and I do to some extent agree. if its available localy and not vastly more expensive I will purchase there instead. But if we are being bent over pricewise because of being a captive market then really - why on earth do we put up with NAFTA?
Unfortunately, brokerage rates are set by the courier companies and have nothing to do with NAFTA. There is more commerce that comes North from the U.S. then goes South from Canada, so that is why they have such a low package value coming North as they make more money that way. Most companies in the U.S will ship USPS to Canada, however there are a few that will only use UPS or FedEx, but, IMHO they don't really care about getting business from Canada anyway. I do hear what your saying but it seems our legitimate complaints are landing on Deaf Ears.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 AM #131
AzaTuR
Purple Sprite Forever

AzaTuR supports Cereal Killerz 2
AzaTuR helped look for balloons
AzaTuR owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AzaTuR supports Team VICIOUS
AzaTuR supports Bob Gurnsey
AzaTuR is reppin' sidebar 4 life
AzaTuR supports Pev's Paintball
Shipped a $30 Proflex to Canada for $30, ****ed up much?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:28 PM #132
dabest123 (Banned)

Last edited by dabest123 : 01-27-2011 at 04:25 PM.
dabest123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM #133
Psycho D
Say Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabest123 View Post
I am trying to make a deal with a canadian person and i saw this bst post....

12) IF you're shipping to Canada from the states. Make sure you have your money or goods first or that you use a third party. By law in Canada, if a person receives goods with out paying for them first they're considered a gift and the Canadian police can do nothing even if you have a 100 foot stack of evidence.

I was wondering if this was true? Like if the guy ended up scamming me i just need to know if i contacted the authorities if they would do anything or not. Any info would be appreciated.
Sounds kind of dubious to me. AFAIK, As long as you can prove you paid for something and can also prove you didn't receive what you paid for, you should have a case. That being said, if you have doubt's about the person you're buying from then do not have the shipment sent as a gift. It might cost you a bit more in Paypal fees but at least you have recourse if the guy stiffs you on the deal. First rule in buying something, IMHO, unless you trust this person implicitly, don't have it sent as a gift.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 PM #134
Canadian Killa (Banned)

Canadian Killa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Canadian Killa supports Team VICIOUS
Canadian Killa posts videos on PbNation

Last edited by Canadian Killa : 01-19-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Canadian Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM #135
Psycho D
Say Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Killa View Post
Im not sure saw it in bst tips...why would they have it in there if it wasnt true?
LOL, this is the Canadian Government we're talking about here. Those guys are a bunch of idiots at the best of times. One hand never knows what the other hand is doing. It is possible that it's true but I would find it very hard to believe that if you can prove you paid for something and didn't receive it you have recourse to go to the police. The best thing to do is call CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) and ask them, that way you'll know for sure.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:31 PM #136
carolina renegades

has been a member for 10 years
carolina renegades is for the Gunfight
carolina renegades supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho D View Post
LOL, this is the Canadian Government we're talking about here. Those guys are a bunch of idiots at the best of times. One hand never knows what the other hand is doing. It is possible that it's true but I would find it very hard to believe that if you can prove you paid for something and didn't receive it you have recourse to go to the police. The best thing to do is call CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency) and ask them, that way you'll know for sure.
and get put on hold for 3 hrs...no thanks. so im guessing that when you select the shipping method the U.S. company they include the fee if using USPS. is that correct? I really dont know why it has to be so hard. We already pay taxes out our a sses on EVERYTHING else.
carolina renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 PM #137
Psycho D
Say Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina renegades View Post
and get put on hold for 3 hrs...no thanks. so im guessing that when you select the shipping method the U.S. company they include the fee if using USPS. is that correct? I really dont know why it has to be so hard. We already pay taxes out our a sses on EVERYTHING else.

Actually, I've never waited more than 5 minutes when talking to the CBSA. If the company you buy from in the U.S. ships USPS, all the taxes are paid by you (Based on CDN $) plus a $5.00 charge to Canada post. As long as the product you are buying is made in Canada, U.S. or Mexico there are no dutiable fees. All you pay is the PST/GST or HST depending on which province you live plus the $5.00 to Canada Post.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM #138
carolina renegades

carolina renegades is for the Gunfight
carolina renegades supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho D View Post
Actually, I've never waited more than 5 minutes when talking to the CBSA. If the company you buy from in the U.S. ships USPS, all the taxes are paid by you (Based on CDN $) plus a $5.00 charge to Canada post. As long as the product you are buying is made in Canada, U.S. or Mexico there are no dutiable fees. All you pay is the PST/GST or HST depending on which province you live plus the $5.00 to Canada Post.
okay. so who do I pay these extra fees to? the post delivery guy?
carolina renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 PM #139
Psycho D
Say Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina renegades View Post
okay. so who do I pay these extra fees to? the post delivery guy?
Yep, you pay the applicable taxes to the Canada Post Guy (If the stuff is shipped USPS) and they submit them to the Government.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 AM #140
zoomer
zoomer

zoomer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
zoomer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zoomer is for the Gunfight
zoomer supports Sherwood Forest
tanks from usa to canada

Something you should be aware of is ... Make sure the tank your buying has a TC stamp on it or no one in Canada can legally fill it and you can't ad a TC stamp on to it either. I got lucky and sold it to a guy that worked at a paintball field so he could fill his own tank , but three diffenent stores would not fill the tank with no TC stamp. Friggin guy that sold it to me never told me that ... bugger. ><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadows_fall View Post
^^^ I was planning on buying a tank from the states, would it get through with the regulator removed?
zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM #141
playing in traffic
Shop smart....shop S-Mart

playing in traffic owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
playing in traffic supports Ninja Paintball
DONT SHIP VIA UPS/FEDEX/DHL TO CANADA

After a screaming match with UPS on the phone for over an hour theyre saying they cant clear the package containing a paintball marker. Apparently customs doesnt allow them to do so, this includes UPS/FEDEX/DHL. You would have to drive to the boarder where the package is being held and clear it your self. For me this is a four hour round trip plus time dealing with them at the boarder, so back to sender my marker goes

ONLY USE USPS and for discription use "USED SPORTING GOODS".

Last edited by playing in traffic : 06-06-2014 at 11:12 PM.
playing in traffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:39 PM #142
Flakeloaf
We can shoot back?

Wow traffic, that's a horrible story. Sorry to hear your UPS clearance drone was an idiot. He probably got hung up on the definition of "replica firearm" or said the G-word to the Canadian customs agent, and that's why they couldn't put your package through.

I've shipped paintball guns cross-border from the states to myself with UPS a few times. While it wasn't a pleasant experience I did eventually get my stuff. And a nice bill from PBB Global Logistics.

Use only USPS. Insist on it. Make "Drive to Buffalo" your plan B, and consider parcel services afterward.
Flakeloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 AM #143
JOHNNY G
little rainbow bomb

JOHNNY G donated to help Peyton Trent
JOHNNY G is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
JOHNNY G is Immortal
Just got my marq there shipped USPS and I had to pay 65.27 at the door I'm so pisses off. It's not wroth dealing with people from the USA

"Originally posted by "Codypbnation: You really are a dick Johnny"
JOHNNY G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 AM #144
playing in traffic

The only way to avoid paying those charges is to have the seller lie about the declared value on the customs form when shipping. Might I add that isnt really legal.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:46 PM #145
griffyn17 (Banned)

griffyn17 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Okay if u dont know someone that lives right near border ship it to a ups store then go across and pick it up only costs 5 bucks call ups store before u do it and they will tell u wat to do
griffyn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 PM #146
mick.caron

someone ever had problem shipping barrels?

like a barrel alone, or a tip alone....
mick.caron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 AM #147
playing in traffic

Nope. Just have the seller mark the package as "used sporting goods" and you shouldnt have an issue.