Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 AM #1
mountaincycle661

Tacamo and RAP4 - Am I about to make a mistake?

I'm about the throw down $450 on paintball upgrades: a tacamo conversion kit for my alpha black, a RAP4 box mag, a new stock, barrel, shroud, etc. I've been all over the web trying to gauge whether or not investing in the tacamo conversion kit, and indeed RAP4 in general, is a good idea.

After a long set of emails, asking a bunch of questions back and forth, the RAP4 rep was cool enough to offer me 10 percent off my order total if I preordered the conversion kit. Thats pretty cool, considering I could save about 35 bucks when Im done. But the release date of "12/31/13" I found very suspicious. Nobody actually releases jack on New Years Eve. Thats an arbitrary date. When I asked about this, I was told that "we're not sure if we'll have them out in time, but we'll know for sure as we get closer".

Ouch, man. Baaad juju.

I've heard that RAP4 is pretty controversial. Some people hate them, accuse them of making crappy products and terrible customer service. Other people have said that they've really turned themselves around. After the last batch of Tacamo kits got a bad rep, they shut it down, went back to the drawing board, upped the quality control, and are now getting ready to rerelease. This gives me hope, as I cannot find another way to get the kind of magfed experience I want.

But at the same time, I'm worried that I'll be one of those guys that gets the crappy run, the one piece that just doesnt work, or has all sorts of problems, etc.

I could use some guidance from the community here. Am I wrong to put my faith in RAP4 and drop at least $300? Are the tacamo conversion kits safe yet? How about the newest generation of Box Mags?

Im open to suggestions for other company's products as well, if you think I am making a mistake. However, I have some parameters. I need a mag fed weapon that can equip a 250rd box mag. Currently, Ive got an alpha black so the conversion kits seemed ideal and inexpensive. If you know another way to go magfed with a box mag for under ~$450, I'd like to hear it!

Thanks to anyone who offers advice. Im excited to be a part of the mag fed community!
mountaincycle661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 AM #2
Nahib_Stilgar

has been a member for 10 years
For $450 you can easily buy an already out together magfed package in the BST such as a milsig or MPK II phenom or something else.

I have a Tacamo kit on a 98 in my sig and it is fine. It works but makes reloading a little awkward due to the placement of the air input.

You will end up getting what you pay for in the end. Rap4 is cheaper for a reason...

At the end of the day if you are not sure...are you willing to loose $450?
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:57 AM #3
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
What Nahib Stilgar wrote has pretty much summed up RAP4 for a long time.

However, the 468 shows they can put together a quality product that is also good looking.

Personally, with the reputation of RAP4, the fact the Tacamo kits had to be retooled, and that this is the first run of that new generation product, I'd hold off until they get in the hands of others and see if they perform well. Just something to think about.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:43 PM #4
PeteSterE
Ruck

PeteSterE is a Supporting Member
PeteSterE supports DLX Technology
RAP4 = huge mistake.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 PM #5
vijil

My advice: don't ever preorder from a paintball company that isn't Kee, Dye, Tippmann or PE. RAP4 in particular have a habit of releasing product about two years behind schedule, but milsig and others aren't much better.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 PM #6
Punisher068

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSterE View Post
RAP4 = huge mistake.
Beat me to it
Ion w\Axe Relay
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Our teams home field PBN thread
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4292217
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:28 PM #7
Punisher068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher068 View Post
Beat me to it
Now their advertizing a supposed warranty on markers,total BS from them again
Players please stop giving them your $ so they'll fade away
Ion w\Axe Relay
Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM #8
YYZballer

For 450 why not get a milsig mk3 player pack? Everything you need and it's a proven marker.

Use your alpha as a backup marker, or sell it to offset the cost.
YYZballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:23 PM #9
wolf16731

wolf16731 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
wolf16731 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
wolf16731 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
wolf16731 supports Ninja Paintball
Last I knew, I thought the normal MKV conversion (98's, BT's) will work on a Alpha. If that is the case, I say go for it. My MKV works very well.

But avoid the box mag. Not really worth it. It is rare that I find someone with a working box mag and rarer still that someone actually likes it.

But if you are deadset on spending that kind of money, I am with YYZballer. But I highly doubt you will get much out of your Alpha by selling it. I would keep it as a backup and have a devoted mag fed marker by buying the MK3.
wolf16731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 PM #10
mountaincycle661

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I really helps to hear from some folks who have a little more experience with this sort of thing.

I did consider just going the route of buying an all new gun. It might be easier to just start from scratch. I could probably sell my alpha to a friend whos looking to get into paintball, or like you said, just keep it as a backup.

My only hang up is that I'm shooting for that SAW experience, so the box mag is a must. I have no particular loyalty to RAP4, but am I mistaken in saying that they're the only ones who make such a weapon a possibility? I've never heard of a milsig box mag, for example. And like all things RAP4, I've heard mixed reviews on the box mag....and at $180, thats a serious risk just for a magazine.

Hell, if it were up to me, I'd just buy thier M249 LMG and be done with it...but we all know how much those cost, dont we? Is there an alternative route that would get me close without going through RAP4? Maybe getting something like a milsig thats box mag compatible...??

Thanks again, guys.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:30 AM #11
Punisher068

This what your looking for?You can do something similar with an A5 with an e trigger.I've made some similar with Ions.For most play outside scenarios their impractical but fun

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5r9YDyrgqYg
Ion w\Axe Relay
Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 AM #12
mountaincycle661

That is exactly what I'm trying to emulate: a big ol' M249 or similar. Of course, you could buy one from RAP4...but it'll cost you $2500 or something ridiculous. The only other options I can imagine are:

1. Buy a cheaper SAW airsoft gun, and somehow convert it to shoot .68 paintballs.

2. Scratch build one off an A5 or an Ion using a body kit from a replica.

Honestly, I'd have no idea where to even begin with those two options. Search functions on forums are notoriously inspecific and even if I do find a thread somewhere, you've got to sign up and become a member in order to see pictures. I was hoping I could find some decent tutorials and step by step information on this subject without having to whore my email addresses out to 6 different milsim forums though!

In the end, if I cant figure out a way to make my dream gun, I'll probably just settle in to a MKP-II with lok-bolt and box mag. I can pick up the whole package for around $500 and just throw on some cool X-7 accessories to make it look bigger and badder.

*sigh* I'll still dream of mowing down opponenets with a hilariously oversized, overpowered, paintball machine gun though. Someday....
Old 12-10-2013, 01:07 PM #13
YYZballer

There are M249 body kits for the A5.... tacamo that puppy, get an e trigger and a mk 4 box mag and you should be happy..

Might need to do some modding mounting the body kit to the tacamo shell I'm not too sure tbh.

Cheers
YYZballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM #14
Punisher068

Search "Oilys boxmag", he helped me a ton on my projects,his was scratch built from an Ion
You can by a whole M249 dress up kit for an A5,not cheap but they're good quality
Boxmags are cheap to make if you can get a cheap container that looks good.You can use Halo,Ripclip,or old Pulse hoppers for the guts.I've built them for under $100
Here's my photobucket pics to give you ideas
http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/punisher068/profile/
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...ag-builds.html
Ion w\Axe Relay

Last edited by Punisher068 : 12-10-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:24 AM #15
mountaincycle661

Thanks, Punisher! The how to's and pictures will help. Im at work right now, and photobucket is all wonky so I'll have to check it out when I get home. The office will let me on facebook and youtube all day long...but photobucket? Well, the line has to be drawn somewhere

An A-5 with electronic trigger ($175) plus the SAW body kit ($150) plus a tacamo mag conversion kit ($120) plus the box mag ($180) is something I had definitely considered early in my research. Two problems: first, it costs around $620 to pull off and second, there's no garuntee that all these parts will mix together without serious modification.

If I knew it could be done without milling and drilling out holes in the reciever for new screws to be attached and so on, I would do it by buying up the pieces for cheap through ebay and such. But to be honest, I dont have the tools or the know how to do any serious mods just yet. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I dont want to go about any real deal mods just yet. Im still new to milsim, so currently I value simplicity and compatibility over ingenuity and complex modification.

If you or anyone you knows has had any experience working with and/or modding the SAW body kit for the A-5, I'd love to hear about it. Because that really seems to be the way to a poor mans LMG
Old 03-04-2015, 06:48 PM #16
WoodsBallSeal

x7 phenom is the way to go.
WoodsBallSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 AM #17
cye604

Man this is a bit of a bump, but with the new conversion kits coming out, I guess it is as good of a time as any to restart this. X7 internals are good (they're Tippmann of course they'll be good), but they are not the most consistent in the world. However, for an inexpensive way to start magfed, the conversion kits are the way to go.
cye604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:36 AM #18
Kaizier

i am thinking about getting the MKV storm for my stepsons 98. i mean can they really mess up a 98? the internals are tryed and true. but then there is no price if its more than $200 might as well just buy a m17 cqc.
Kaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:50 PM #19
cye604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizier View Post
i am thinking about getting the MKV storm for my stepsons 98. i mean can they really mess up a 98? the internals are tryed and true. but then there is no price if its more than $200 might as well just buy a m17 cqc.
It will cost ~95, and I'd recommend against the M17. I've heard it has quite a few kinks and issues, but not the worst platform on the market.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:36 PM #20
SharptheJack
Hit more when out.

SharptheJack has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Cye, you're always talking up RAP4 exclusively, with no obvious experience on any other marker. Why should we listen to your constant propaganda when the company is proven to be unreliable, or even downright shady in some cases? I don't know if you work for the company or if you're just incredibly biased in an attempt to validate your choice, but you need to get off of your soapbox for long enough to allow actual discussion to take place.
SharptheJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:07 PM #21
cye604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharptheJack View Post
Cye, you're always talking up RAP4 exclusively, with no obvious experience on any other marker. Why should we listen to your constant propaganda when the company is proven to be unreliable, or even downright shady in some cases? I don't know if you work for the company or if you're just incredibly biased in an attempt to validate your choice, but you need to get off of your soapbox for long enough to allow actual discussion to take place.
You assume I do not have expertise with any other markers, however, I do. I have a TIPX, had a M17, co-own (aka ling-term sharing) a T15, and just ordered a TCR. I love all of them, each have their drawbacks, as does my 468. However, I do love my 468 more than all of those. I do nothing to prevent discussion whatsoever, I merely voice my opinion on the matter. In fact, I welcome criticism towards RAP4. If I am allowed to say negative things about other companies, then why should you not be able to do the same?? I may disagree with what you say, but I will never tell you not to say it. No, I do not work for RAP4, in fact I am on the complete opposite coast from them. However, I am a fan of their products. Also, on that note, RAP4 is not the only company that has unreliable or shady pasts, as you put it. However, RAP4 is the company that everyone seems to think of as the bad company.