PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-11-2003, 11:26 PM #43
MrDSanchez

Quote:
Originally posted by Soulfly
unfortunately for the GPL's situation, rain dates are less than easy.

Can still be done. Easy or not.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2003, 11:43 PM #44
Soulfly

has been a member for 10 years
can still be done? fine, ill put it to you another way, it would be a business nightmare resulting in a far worse situation for the business (yes, it is in fact a business).

Lets say hypothetically im a tournament promotor. ok, ive paid my refs to come out, ive paid my field designers to make and set up the fields, ive got the space all rented out, ive got my air tanks filled, and gone through the effort and expense to have national bring all the paint, organize the schedules, print the schedules, organize for someone present to sell food, and probably a slew of other issues..... and all of a sudden it rains, like it did at the 2nd event (i was there, so dont question my knowledge of how screwed up things were).

ok, so teams are leaving my event, understandable, i dont begrudge them. However, to expect me to reschedule, and in essence pay for setting up the entire day almost a second time? i dont care if my business does depend on your dollar, id tell you to eat ****.

the fact of the matter remains, those who played either knew, or shouldve known what they were getting into, other teams decided it wasnt in their personal interests to play, my team happened to be one of them.
I-in no way-blame the GPL for going forward with the event, to put out the money for all that, and then say, "Im not gonna even bother trying to make up for some expenses" is just plain stupid.

But Sanchez, since you know everything under the sun about how to run a business and a league, im sure youll amaze us with your own next season....

for those of you who claim the GPL is getting to money hungry, i see your point, but lets look at it logically. The size of their event has easily doubled since last season, twice as many fields, prizes at every event, an extra division, and TONS of teams. Even last event when a huge number of teams for the size of the event showed up, and incredible amounts of paint were being shot, and player after player remarked to brian about how much money he must be raking it, i remember hearing him say to someone who i gather is an old friend of his that players have no idea how much money they think hes making that he isnt. Its pricier to manage a series than one might think, and with the series switching locations and getting used to the new venue, im sure he wont be up to full income capacity til the end of this season, if not next season.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:06 AM #45
MrDSanchez

Quote:
Originally posted by Soulfly

But Sanchez, since you know everything under the sun about how to run a business and a league, im sure youll amaze us with your own next season....

Soulfly, here is how it is...
Did I say I was better than anyone? I didn't make any claims that I could do a better job. so don't get all hissy and *****y on me. Canceling/rescheduling an event can be done. I know it would cost money, waste time, blah, blah, blah, but it can still be done. I never stated that things are easy. Going to the moon wasn't easy, but it still got done. Not that running a paintball tournament is in any way like going to the moon or anything.
The GPL's motto is, "A league for players, by players", or something very similar to that. Am I asking them for too much when I expect a good event? Hell no. That's what I pay money for, so damn it I want to get my money's worth! I expect a professionaly run event. They have had plenty of experience, they know what they should be doing by now, but it just doesn't show.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:42 AM #46
dannypwr

dannypwr is a founding member
dannypwr supports our troops
dannypwr supports DLX Technology
dannypwr supports DLX Technology
I'm a player, and I wanted to play that day, so I played.
I had a fun day. In the end it's not our decision to delay/postpone the event, it belongs to GPL. I am glad they didn’t postpone, come on guys RAIN is not predictable nor can you avoid it. Next complaint will be "too hot"? Go play indoors if your want climate controlled event. I do not work or play for GPL but I stand by GPL's decision to PLAY ON.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:34 AM #47
Soulfly

ok, sanchez, so you believe the GPL to be a poorly run event. then just dont give them your money next time. its like if you went to GE and bought a fridge that wouldnt keep a constant cold temperature. You expect to get your moneys worth, however you should recognize that its not always so.

granted, rescheduling can be done, but why should it be? because some teams didnt wanna play that day? so what? i dont want bush in white house, does my opinion matter? no, not until the next vote. thats the way it is.

as i said, what it all comes down to is either return with your wallet or not. thats the only real opinion out of any of ours that matters
Old 06-12-2003, 10:54 AM #48
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

PSUGhost is a Supporting Member
PSUGhost is an NCPA player
PSUGhost plays in the APPA D5 division
soulfly, as much as I disagree with the whole bush shouldn't be in the white house thing....I think that was the best analogy I have ever seen on this issue....
Old 06-13-2003, 12:53 AM #49
MrDSanchez

Alright, I didn't care for how it was handled, it doesn't matter. They will do it the way they want to, and that's that. Let's all move on to the third event. Everyone please pray for good weather and no air lines!!! Water under the bridge...
Old 06-13-2003, 09:38 PM #50
psularryo

PSU will be back

well having played both 3 and 5 man with the PSU squad i got a pretty good feel of how the tourney went. given the circumstances i think that GPL handled things the best they could. the weather was a nightmare but theres nothing you can really do about that except snap your visors on your spectras and deal. one concern that i do have with the scheduling is that with the number of forfeitures in the C division my 5 man team sat on the bench for close to six hours. we played our last prelim game at 11:30 am and started our first final game somewhere around 6:00 pm. after a wait that long we were frigid and pretty damn stiff by the time our finals games rolled around...congrats to all those who placed along with us saturday and sunday. psu will be back for the next tourney hopefully the sunshine will be as well.

p.s. brian do you have our redz small gear bags in stock yet. they were part of our 5 man prize package and you didnt have any at the tourney. thanks.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:38 PM #51
scooba

Cancellations

Mr Dirty Sanchez, your smell, and ideals proceed you.
HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY ASSUME THAT GPL COULD CANCEL/ RESCHEDULE ON A WHIM???
You say it so easily! When in fact,,,, the day before all teams confirmed they were coming, and it wasn't until what? -- @ 5 am that it started raining?
You are a PRISSY PRIMMADONNA -- grow a pair, and quit your whining, B**CH! You have no Courage, and you BLAME the least responsible person for YOUR problems.
Assmunch, you could have watched the weather, and slept in on Sunday - YOU suck -- Don't EVER show up AGAIN !!!