Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 04-10-2014, 10:46 PM #43
Simi Baller
Pillow Fort Architect

Simi Baller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaallen View Post
I just want to know why bunkers don't have a superhydrophobic coating on them to save on cleaning time?
Because it would do nothing to repel paint. Paint is made of oil and gelatin and stuff, so it wouldn't be any easier to wash off. It might even make it more difficult to wash, as the oil would be on the bunker while the coating would repel the water. I don't mean it will for sure, but that's just a thought.
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2014, 09:50 AM #44
idontknow2007
Head Shot...

idontknow2007 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
idontknow2007 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
idontknow2007 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi Baller View Post
Because it would do nothing to repel paint. Paint is made of oil and gelatin and stuff, so it wouldn't be any easier to wash off. It might even make it more difficult to wash, as the oil would be on the bunker while the coating would repel the water. I don't mean it will for sure, but that's just a thought.
I have tried the "neverwet" stuff that hit the market a few months ago, and no it does nothing when it comes to paintballs. Tried it on clothing and hard plastic to no effect, yes works great with water but paint just sticks right to it.
idontknow2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 AM #45
idontknow2007
Head Shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranman View Post
This is a step back in technology, SupAir had this idea years ago! Like in the late 90s. Doubling the amount of parts to put away and account for at the end of the day, not to mention having to charge 40 batteries after each day.
As a field manager, vortex is easier to setup, maintain and put away then traditional bunkers. A 45 piece field takes me about 40 minutes to set up and ready for play in the mornings. Try that with a 45 piece vinyl set. At the end of the day, 20-25 minutes to teardown, place in totes and store. And yes we store them out of the elements every weekend to make them last longer (same as you should do with vinyl).
A complete vinyl set of bunkers needs a large storage area (conex, shed etc)...vortex can be stored in a closet since they all fit in totes.
With that said, my savings in labor costs every weekend speaks for itself.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:42 AM #46
jonotwist
MORE ENTHUSIASM

has been a member for 10 years
jonotwist is playing at Living Legends X
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
how well does it stand to PSP fire up close?

ive wasted what totals in many pods worth of paint tucking back in the bunker while shooting a stream with little to stop for that 1/3 second of shooting.

"Sometimes it's not whether you win or lose. Sometimes it's how many pages you add to the rulebook."

We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 PM #47
idontknow2007
Head Shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonotwist View Post
how well does it stand to PSP fire up close?

ive wasted what totals in many pods worth of paint tucking back in the bunker while shooting a stream with little to stop for that 1/3 second of shooting.
We practice PSP ramp almost every weekend. We run 3 and 5 man tournys on it as well. If you watch the video posted earlier, that was a total of 24 cases of paint shot in just under 90 minutes of play. And as you can see, very little clean up, no deflating issues, no issues with the bunker failing and the player getting shot. So, yes they stand up very well. Plus with the new bunkers getting a 133 cfm fan installed in them, there will never be an issue with deflating as the fan puts out more then enough air flow.
Which brings up another point, no worries about the bunker being over inflated due to heat, so no need for someone to take the time to let air out as the day gets hotter.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:09 PM #48
KGBbonecrusher

I was EXTREMELY skeptical of these bunkers.

Until I played with them.

Yes they are different than what paintballers are used to. But I don't think I've seen one ball break on them, which saves you a ton of time for cleaning. They can also be machine washed from what I understand. My only beef is that they aren't up to date PSP shapes. But honestly having a field of these bunkers is much better than nothing at all, and present a great alternative (or even a great primary) option for field owners.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:29 PM #49
pball72008

pball72008 posts videos on PbNation
pball72008 supports Empire
Can you pm me a link of a video of them being played with and perhaps a link to where you can purchase these? I would like some more info.
pball72008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 PM #50
Albinopitbul

Albinopitbul owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Albinopitbul owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Albinopitbul plays in the APPA D4 division
This is awesome if they are legit
Back Player #00
Come See Me
Albinopitbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:14 PM #51
RedDotPaintball

RedDotPaintball is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
RedDotPaintball supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by pball72008 View Post
Can you pm me a link of a video of them being played with and perhaps a link to where you can purchase these? I would like some more info.
Pm'd.
RedDotPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:32 PM #52
PAPA_SMURF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDotPaintball View Post
I am not 100% sure on your question and may be worth a phone call to us. 509-967-3030. Ask for Tim or Harley. The fan sits inside a fan box. The fan box sits inside the bunker. So there is no heavy moisture that gets in to the fan area. If it is raining there can be some very small amount of moisture that gets pulled through the fan and blows inside the bunker. However at 130+ cubic feet of air moving through the bunker every minute the moisture is quickly dispersed and dried.

Again, any fields wanting to try a demonstration bunker are welcome to ask us and we can discuss how that program works.
I meant what if I were to stick the fan box in a puddle of water, would it have any issues working?
PAPA_SMURF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:57 PM #53
RedDotPaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA_SMURF1 View Post
I meant what if I were to stick the fan box in a puddle of water, would it have any issues working?
I have to assume that you are not walking around putting the bunkers in a lake. So if you are referring to a puddle forming around a bunker in heavy rain, the bottom is also material. It will keep water out for some time and the fan box is not on the ground (it is raised a couple inches. So the fan will operate. The battery should be moved off the ground if the bunker would be sitting in water. If you are a field owner, I would encourage you to arrange a demo bunker and this way you can try with your exact normal conditions.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:58 PM #54
RedDotPaintball

Inflation Video

Last edited by RedDotPaintball : 04-12-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:21 AM #55
dominantgazelle

dominantgazelle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
The idea behind these is sweet
dominantgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:36 AM #56
Methodcaptain

plays in the NXL
Methodcaptain plays in the APPA D4 division
Methodcaptain supports Shocker RSX
Methodcaptain supports Ninja Paintball
I had these bunkers back when they first came out.

The only drawback was the shorter battery life. Now that seems to be fixed.

I would definently buy these again. They were great to set up, tear down, and easy to clean.

WANTED: Blue and Green angel A1 FLY grips
Wanted - Angel A1/SB/AR:K parts and markers broken or working condition.

Still playing for you DAD (6/10/57 - 11/17/06). We all miss you.
Methodcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:41 AM #57
RedDotPaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodcaptain View Post
I had these bunkers back when they first came out.

The only drawback was the shorter battery life. Now that seems to be fixed.

I would definently buy these again. They were great to set up, tear down, and easy to clean.
Thanks for your comment. For clarification how long ago was that?
Old 04-12-2014, 01:10 PM #58
Gonzaga #35

In 03/04 JT had fans in their bunkers as well. the battery were so damn heavy tho.
Gonzaga #35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:06 PM #59
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Quote:
Ha ha yes, the batteries and fan technology far surpasses 2007.

The down side is, 7-12 hours is still not very practical for most fields. Plus, the recharging time is the real killer. I still don't see this being practical for most fields. When you can run for an entire weekend without a recharge, then you'll have something.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:24 PM #60
Methodcaptain

plays in the NXL
Methodcaptain plays in the APPA D4 division
Methodcaptain supports Shocker RSX
Methodcaptain supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Thanks for your comment. For clarification how long ago was that?
It was back in 2005/2006.

WANTED: Blue and Green angel A1 FLY grips
Wanted - Angel A1/SB/AR:K parts and markers broken or working condition.

Still playing for you DAD (6/10/57 - 11/17/06). We all miss you.
Methodcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:22 PM #61
RedDotPaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
The down side is, 7-12 hours is still not very practical for most fields. Plus, the recharging time is the real killer. I still don't see this being practical for most fields. When you can run for an entire weekend without a recharge, then you'll have something.
We have run more than 12 hours. In addition with some simple battery management you can run a whole weekend with some rotation. For example purchasing an extra 10 batteries could allow you to rotate 10 fresh batteries in and put others back on the chargers. We have run an entire weekend with just 5 extra batteries by putting 5 on a charger at mid day and rotating through 5 bunkers.

It is a conversation better suited for a phone call.

Also we have a smart charger option for fields that have heavy use. This way the batteries can be charged at any interval.

Lastly, we are working on a remote system which when we have it perfected would allow you to start and stop the field anytime not in use. While this is not released yet, it is well in the works.

Thanks for your comments. I would also invite you and encourage you to try one in your situation. We can arrange a demo bunker. See how it performs, battery life etc.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:13 PM #62
Mike838

A fix to a field who needs a longer battery life. Either the creators could sell a larger battery option (the battery sits inside anyway so it won't be in the way) or if the field owner has the know how and can find batteries that have the required voltage and amperage of the fan boxes and could hook up their own battery source for additional battery life (although both these options cost more $).

My only concern is the access port for the fan box. What safety systems are in place for when someone shoots the mesh possibly at point blank? What stops small bits of shell, paint and dirt from going into the fan blades and motor?
Mike838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:21 PM #63
Mike838

Also, someone mentioned that the recharge time was not great. How long is it to recharge a dead battery (although depending on what battery style you are using (ie NiMH, LiPo, lead-acid, absorbed glass mats) you won't want to fully discharge those to maintain long term battery health).
Mike838 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.