Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-18-2004, 02:13 PM #1
F=ma
Newton's Second Law

F=ma is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Q-Loader Tech Thread

We need a place to dump helpful information about the Q-loaders. A bunch of small threads about one off problems are floating around, I figure if we post information that will remedy the most common problems people run into then it'll cut down on the number of cluttering threads.

First of all, this isn't a thread about Q-Loader vs Halo, or Q-loader vs Envy or whatever. So please lets stay away from the arguments.

It'd be nice if we could get a database going of which harnesses Q-pods will fit into and which ones they won't.

Also little things like: Removing the white ball from the loader, BPS vs # of Prewinds, Custom mounting locations, and common problems you run into and their fixes.
F=ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2004, 02:16 PM #2
F=ma
Newton's Second Law

First helpful thing is ninmooshi's Warp Feed T-Adapter. Lowers the top (and side) profile by a ton, plus cuts down on the amount of feed tube you use (reduces the likelihood that it'll get shot and balls inside the tube will break).

His thread about it is here:

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=446203

And you can get Warp Adapters here:

http://www.proteamdirect.com/proteam/warfeedad.html

Old 03-18-2004, 03:21 PM #3
psychospaz

winding issues

if you are attempting to wind your q-loader and it gets stuck DONT FORCE IT!! it will breack the little plastic piece inside, what you need to do is turn it a little bit backwards so that the white ball isnt jammed into the socket
l8r
have fun w/the qloader it is awesome (once you get to know how to use it)
psychospaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:40 PM #4
F=ma
Newton's Second Law

OK, well I've got just about all of it down pat except for one thing:

Getting the inner cap off the drive tube.

OK supposedly disassembly of the q-pods is supposed to be tool free, but unless yuo have a 1/32nd" slotted screwdriver coming out of your pinky, good luck trying to get the inner cap off the drive tube. Those 3 notches are in there good, and there's no simple way to twist or slide them off.

The best I've come up with is stick a tiny slotted screwdriver up under there, put a finger through one of the holes in the inner cap, hook it to get a grip on the cap, and pull, then take the screwdriver out and do it to one more side, but then be careful where that screw driver goes. Once the cap comes off (with a good bit of force) the screwdriver will go flying across the room.

I'm down to about 3 mins 15 seconds to completely disassembling and reassembling a Q-pod. (This is with using a screwdriver to take off the inner cap from the drive tube).

Last edited by F=ma : 03-19-2004 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:16 AM #5
F=ma
Newton's Second Law

Re: winding issues

Quote:
Originally posted by psychospaz
if you are attempting to wind your q-loader and it gets stuck DONT FORCE IT!! it will breack the little plastic piece inside, what you need to do is turn it a little bit backwards so that the white ball isnt jammed into the socket
l8r
have fun w/the qloader it is awesome (once you get to know how to use it)

Yeah, here's a common problem I run into:

The Q-pod won't slide all the way into the loading socket.

Take the pod out, stick your finger into the hole, and make sure the inner cap is a WHOLE NUMBER of turns. you shouldn't be able to directly poke one of the spiral shaped paddles. Turn it with your finger, then put it into your loading socket.

(this is for just putting an empty Q-pod into the socket, I guess if you're just testing to see how it feels whatnot, sometimes you'll run into this problem).

Another one very common for me:

DON'T WIND A Q-POD THAT DOESN'T HAVE BALLS IN IT. Once you've prewound a pod and the Rotation limiter (white ball thingy) is at the top of the q-pod close to the exit hole, DONT PUT YOUR Q-POD INTO THE RELOADING SOCKET AND WIND IT.

Sounds like common sense to a lot of you, but to others who like to play around with their stuff and see how fast it can feed without paint, when you do this (especially with a lot of prewinds), then stick it in the loading socket, the q-pod will unload so fast that the Rotation Limiter will get jammed into the inner cap. This is bad because it can't be fixed without taking the Q-pod completely apart. And I mean taking that PITA inner cap off the drive tube, which sux.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:22 AM #6
F=ma
Newton's Second Law

So the dilemma to keep the rotation limiter (white ball) or not. Here's the story:

If you keep the rotation limiter in there, you've gotta be careful not to wind the q-pod without paint. If you do that, once you put it in the loading socket, it'll completely undwind and the Rotation Limiter will get stuck in the inner cap, and you'll have to totally disassemble the Q-pod to get it out.

If you leave the rotation limiter out, you don't have to worry about it getting stuck in the inner cap. Because every time you put it in the loading socket, it'll completely unwind. As in NO PREWINDS. Therefore, whenever you LOAD your Q-loader you have to give it the proper amount of prewinds first. If you don't and you just start loading it with paintballs, then the last 10-15 paintballs in the tube will just be stuck in there, and you'll have to disassemble the Q-pod in order to get them out.

To me this is a bigger hassle, because you have to remember EVERY SINGLE TIME you load your Q-pod to prewind it. And if you don't that's 5 mins downtime disassembling a Q-pod, and at a field some pieces could get lost pretty easy if you're not careful.

So in my opinion, leave the Rotation Limiter in there. I know some people are taking them out. I'd rather not have to remember every time I refill a Q-pod to prewind it.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:09 AM #7
trains are bad

If you take it out, you get one ball greater capacity. I'm taking mine out. To each his own.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:53 PM #8
F=ma
Newton's Second Law

Hey I've got a question, for all the Q-loader owners out there. Every now and then I'll get a jam, the Q-pod won't feed, when I take it it appears that a ball is being pinched by the q-pod as it was trying to exit the loader.

Is this a result of too many prewinds? it happened on different q-pods, and they all have 14 prewinds (not even the max, 16).

When I took the ball out it was severely deformed, from being pinched. funny thing was, that it happened more towards the end of the day, and not at the beginning. Maybe some moisture had gotten on the paint and made it a little softer? and instead of being sprung out of the loader it got pinched?

This happen to anyone else?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:07 PM #9
Andre the Bald Giant

i hate the white ball! i got mine to work, its on my angel now, works like a beauty!

I have crazy directions to get that white ball to work if your having trouble with it, also you dont need to take the inner cap off ever. Not even to clean it, just fill up your with warm water and some soap, and poof clean,

know the q-loader symbol on the outer pod might come off though, the inner pod should be fine

if your white ball came out, just push it in with your thumb

MMMMM i love it, perfect for front player.

Its very sturdy for anyone who was wondering about durability.

I used an allen wrench to take my inner cap off, (before i just figured out to just push my white ball in). I would push really hard on the tab and then stick my finger through the top hole and pull, but i would always push to hard with the allen wrench and it would come through really fast and just smash my finger to bits, OWWWW

IF ANYONE NEEDS HELP WITH THEIR Q-LOADER I PROBABLY KNOW HOW TO HELP THEM OR JUST HAVE QUESTIONS EMAIL ME
(ill send pics if needed)

p-ball_r-us@cox.net

-Thanks
Andre the Bald Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:09 PM #10
Andre the Bald Giant

also if your gonna wash it take out the spring first, i think they said its stainless steel, but if not,, yeah....
Old 03-22-2004, 01:55 AM #11
dundadun

Will the warp T-adapter fit an angled power feed?
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:36 PM #12
Andre the Bald Giant

should, i think it has screws too, so u can adjust it to fit anything
Old 03-22-2004, 10:06 PM #13
F=ma
Newton's Second Law

For anyone that's interested, here's a video of the Q-loader loadin pretty fast.

AIC rocks.

Bushmaster 2003 PDS
04 Chaos, on Autoresponse
14 Prewinds on a Q-loader
PDS is OFF

Goldwave verified to 22 bps with paint.

http://www.masonsparty.com/ken/video/fmaqloader.wmv

Thanks to SangerPB for helping me with the vid.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:22 PM #14
Andre the Bald Giant

i love your gun man, cool video too, the q-loader rules

My friend has a shocktech Bushy, and loves it, i will get a vid soon of me blazing with my angel.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:21 AM #15
boxerfreeflow00
Never go full retard!

boxerfreeflow00 is a Supporting Member
why is everyones videos so short
make them longer

PSN: Evil_Goat

My FeedBack 45 Positive & Counting
boxerfreeflow00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:02 PM #16
F=ma
Newton's Second Law

Yeah true, sorry.

But at 22 bps you know a Q-pod is done in 4.5 seconds, and a halo is done in 7.2 seconds.

Any video of emptying a hopper isn't going to be long when you're ripping 22 bps.

I shot 51 balls in that video.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:03 PM #17
flight_2006

hey. it was short but sweet. My qloader is on its way. I ordered it sunday and I should have it and be playing with it this weekend. Ill tell u all how it performed after I play with it.

Chris
Team Dynamic
flight_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:09 PM #18
Avery
Robots in disguise.

Avery is a Supporting Member
Alright, I'll copy and post the other stuff I've written elsewhere to here:

The loader funnel is a nice idea, but it's a pain in the butt. It's shape makes it such that I have yet to find a way to comfortably wear it while carefully loading a pod, shaking the funnel, making sure I don't misload a single ball, and so on. I'm sure with practice I'll improve, but right now I'm thinking about just using a Revy or other agitated hopper as my "funnel". Also, keep in mind that you should try to have the pod vertical as you load it (unlike the picture in the manual) if you're getting gaps. The tech guy at QLoader recommends this, since it takes gravity to load up the coil. Keeping a pod vertical, the silo on your shoulder, the hoses from popping out, shaking the silo and turning the crank is a pain.

You can also load balls by hand one at a time without the reload socket, which doesn't take as long as you would think. I load by hand if I'm just topping off a pod.

The pods themselves are simple mechanisms, but they've already been finely tweaked for our use. I can tell that there isn't a whole lot of room for improvement in their mechanism. I can imagine them imrpoving the white retainer ball, and perhaps the feed collar. The only obvious improvement I'd suggest is to more firmly affix the metal "detente" in the feed collar, since they can fall out if you pull the hose out wrong, but they've included spares in the package.

Moving along, I suggest pulling the cap with the crank handle off of the loading mechanism sometimes. This cap has a triangular projection in the bottom of it that can be a very useful tool. For instance, if you've just "pre-wound" it differently, you may end up with the white retainer ball down in the pod a little instead of right up against the collar with the holes in it. This can be a real problem, because that white ball can slam up into a hole and jam the mechanism. Using the cap with the crank handle, you can carefully wind or unwind the pod. In fact, I don't use the loading collar at all when I'm pre-winding a pod, I just use the crank handle. Also, if you've wound the pod without paint (or your curious friend has) you can use the crank to unwind it.

They warn you that you need to learn to use the Q-Loader, and it takes both effort and time. They warn you that you should learn how to strip and clean all the parts. They can jam up or break paint very easily if you don't know what you're doing. They are not for "hands-off" or unintelligent people.

On the other hand, if you have practiced a little (and cleaned up the mess afterwards the system really kicks. If you load pods properly (the white ball starting at the top, and no gaps between paintballs) and set up your system correctly, they should be problem free.

I don't have any trouble pulling the inner cap off of my pods, I just push one of the three tabs in, twist a little, and pull. I wouldn't bother trying to use a screwdriver. If you have too much trouble, grease your pod lids when you take them off, they'll be easier to remove next time.

Harnesses:
-=-=-=-=-=-
The pods are bigger than Fatboy 140 pods, and also heavier (though not much). They don't fit in my Redz 140 rd harness very well (they're too long for the flaps to velcro over them well), and I don't trust them not to fall out.

Mounting:
=-=-=-=-=-
Here's how I mounted mine, given that I have a 15 degree ASA so mounting it under the barrel won't work. I wish you could get different load sockets where the hose comes out in different orientations. Note that I don't even use an elbow, I just stick the hose into my feedport.

-Good Cocker Hammer & Cocking Rod
-Rebuildable delron or rubber Cocker detent
-Chrome System X X10 Long Drop or Chrome Shocktech Long Drop
-Halo B Loader

Last edited by Avery : 03-23-2004 at 04:16 PM.
Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:33 PM #19
Andre the Bald Giant

yeah, that looks wierd, you know, ther is a way to directly put the q-pod right into the feed neck, ive seen it somewhere around here, ill post the thread if i find it. you might be able to ask the guy who did it, or how he did.
But other than that, good info. Very true, learn to use your q-loader, i already use my old revy to fill my pods, cause that reloader thing was a hassle. WORKS GREAT NOW, just buy like a 9-V for 20 Bucks, its worth it.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:09 AM #20
solmyr
Snapping Nicky T style!

I just got my Q-loader today and I messed up a Pod! Hehe, well I didnt mess it up really.
Here is what I did.

I filled it up with paintball's but there where gap's between paintball's that exceed 2 paintball space's. Then, when I tried it out on pb broke in my pod. So I said hey great! This will give me a chance to clean the thing. So I tottaly took apart my Q-pod and put it back together (even the white ball). Now, sinice I had the Q-loader for one hour. I said hey I will winde it up all the way and and dry fire it just to see if I put it together ok. So I did just that, I dry fired the sucker and WAM! I messed up the inner cap I bent the wing's (blade's) part! So I take the Q-pod apart again and bend back into shape the wing's (blade's) now everything work's great! I still am planing on getting a new inner cap, but it can wait as I will be ordering 3 more pod's and the new Q-harness that they are making.

I was lucky I only bent the inner cap, but to you wiser then me in Q-loader's could I have damaged someothere part of the Q-loader?

So the moral of the story is NEVER EVER DRY FIRE YOUR Q-LOADER!

One more thing, how do you unwinde the Q-loader? Let's say that there a gap's between the paintball's how do you unwinde it to get the gaps out?

thx
Old 03-25-2004, 11:11 AM #21
solmyr
Snapping Nicky T style!

Quote:
Originally posted by Andre the Bald Giant
yeah, that looks wierd, you know, ther is a way to directly put the q-pod right into the feed neck, ive seen it somewhere around here, ill post the thread if i find it. you might be able to ask the guy who did it, or how he did.
But other than that, good info. Very true, learn to use your q-loader, i already use my old revy to fill my pods, cause that reloader thing was a hassle. WORKS GREAT NOW, just buy like a 9-V for 20 Bucks, its worth it.

Hrm, could I use my brother's EGG 2 to load my Q-pod's