Old 05-10-2008, 07:00 PM #1
lamorte
mod a la mode

lamorte is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
Angry dead man's walk........

hee hee......kinda goes with my pbn mort motif wouldn't you say?

alrighty then, i'd like to hear your views on the infamous 'dead man's walk'. for those of you that have never heard of it, it's where the player walks to the other side of the field acting as though he's been taken out. he hasn't called himself out but by the way he's acting, he appears to be out of the game walking to the dead zone. once he gets behind your team starts to unload paint, most times on your backs.

now, technically he hasn't called himself out though you trust by the inactivity he displays, he is out of the game. some places allow this deceitful tactic since you should always be checking your backs during play. than again, we are basically on the honor system but should that be technically divided by deceit?

have you even seen this exercised before? i have but the field allowed it. needless to say it creates a bit of havoc and animosity for those on the receiving end of the dealio.

is it technically fair? if this is allowed, should intentional bonus balling be fair as well to cover your backs? what do you think about the 'dead man's walk'? have you ever needed to make a call concerning this technique?

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2008, 07:09 PM #2
imnotryanQQ

I think that it is fair considering these conditions:

- The player does not raise his hand, gun, or make a gesture as to being hit when exiting his prop.

-The player does not say he is hit, eliminated or anything of that nature.

-The player remains within bounds of the field of play.

If the player obey's all of the following he is essentially just walking down the field. And i would say it is fair.

Although the "dead man's walk" is an old deceitful trick it can be done without breaking any rules.

I once had someone try to pull it on me. I saw this guy from the other team just walk within bounds down the snake, i thought that was kind of odd since he could easily step off of field and avoid being hit. So i gave him a few to the chest, needles to say he was pissed and walked off. But at least i prevented a dead mans walk.

I say if someone is walking down towards your end of the field within bounds making no attempt to get off the field...that is kind of suspicious and they are asking to get shot. Give them a few shots to a not so painful area, The gun, Mask, Pack, legs etc...I think that is perfectly acceptable.
imnotryanQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:16 PM #3
Dr.StraightPride

Well, I believe that if you can actually pull this off in any sort of game (Scenario, or Tournament, no recreational play deadman walking please... that's just sad), more power to you! Granted, you will get shot A LOT once you are found out, but in Scenario games, isn't spying, lying, deceit, trickery and the general outsmarting of the other team? As far as its application in tournaments... that would pose very difficult, as there's a lot of paint flying. The only way I could think of this working is in NPPL or another affiliated event where there are no boundaries (except the netting) and have someone crouch down behind the flag station... quite sneaky indeed.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:43 PM #4
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.StraightPride View Post
Well, I believe that if you can actually pull this off in any sort of game (Scenario, or Tournament, no recreational play deadman walking please... that's just sad), more power to you! Granted, you will get shot A LOT once you are found out, but in Scenario games, isn't spying, lying, deceit, trickery and the general outsmarting of the other team? As far as its application in tournaments... that would pose very difficult, as there's a lot of paint flying. The only way I could think of this working is in NPPL or another affiliated event where there are no boundaries (except the netting) and have someone crouch down behind the flag station... quite sneaky indeed.
In the NPPL? Not going to happen, not like that anyway.

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:36 AM #5
Gunderson

it should be illegal every were its so gay
Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 AM #6
bigfatdanman
**** Obama.

i am a ref (head ref), so im actually called on to make a call *if* this ever happens, but i usually allow it unless i remember to specifically disallow it pre-game. im not going to chastise someone for exploiting a loophole anymore than i am going to use them. and yes, i have done many dead-man walks in my day.

My God.
DARQ
bigfatdanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM #7
TeamShellShock
Collect All 16!

TeamShellShock is a Supporting Member
TeamShellShock supports our troops
TeamShellShock is a Forum Captain
Ive never liked dead mans walks, every tournament Ive reffed that allowed it always had an issue with overshooting. It creates an unnecessary strain for players and refs IMO.
TeamShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:54 AM #8
I_Keeps_It_Real
the Pro Tech of Paintball

when i reffed the dead man's walk was not allowed, its kind of cheating in my eyes and the field made it illegal for "safety reasons"
I_Keeps_It_Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 PM #9
Bonestock98 III
I'm gonna make love to ya

Bonestock98 III helped look for balloons
As long as the player doesn't indicate that he is eliminated and follows all of the other rules of the field when he does it I see no problems. I think it's hysterical when players do it well.
OHIO 'ballers club member #21
"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: Two outcomes; jail or gay. Both options end with a dick in his ***.
"
Bonestock98 III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 PM #10
rammstein_5v2
Idontfeelanditfeelsgreat

I've done it, but i dont allow it.

How consistent
How can someone so consistently mess up as much as
Every instance
How can someone inconsistent mess up so consistently
rammstein_5v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:43 PM #11
TOMMYD3UCE
i quit.

some d-bag did this the other day in a rec game. Shot my brother point blank in the back of the head, had him dazed and confused for a couple seconds. Then he proceeded to light up the rest of my team.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi
TOMMYD3UCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 PM #12
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotryanQQ View Post
I think that it is fair considering these conditions:

- The player does not raise his hand, gun, or make a gesture as to being hit when exiting his prop.

-The player does not say he is hit, eliminated or anything of that nature.

-The player remains within bounds of the field of play.
My feelings exactly.

If you're dumb enough to not shoot someone who isn't out (or showing any signs of being out) then you deserve what's comin' to ya'.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM #13
railz
Manamana - DooDooDeDooDoo

railz is a Supporting Member
railz donated to help Peyton Trent
railz is playing at Living Legends III
railz supports our troops
Illegal. I actually make a point of saying (during my "what to do when you're hit" part of the safety talk) that if they see a player walking around in the open who they think is out but does not have (a) their marker raised in the classic "I'm out" position or (b) is not putting their barrel bag on to give them a shot or two to make sure they're actually out.

It usually gets a few laughs, and quells any DMW attempts.
railz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM #14
BOOGPRO
Masters World Champion

BOOGPRO is playing at Living Legends VII
BOOGPRO is playing at Living Legends VIII
BOOGPRO is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
LOL i kick Todd Adamson everytime i see talk about deadmans walk LOL.Basically if its allowed i dont work those events and if a idiot is dumb enogh to just step out while i have a machine gunn in my hand all i gotta say is " IF YOUR GONNA BE DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH !!!"
Original Member of FLA Annihilators, RAGE. Member of Lockout, Jax Warriors, Nemisis, Strange B, Cypress, Mickeys Rats,Legacy Masters, loaned to East Coast Eliminators N.Y., Palm Beach Predetors, Hounds of Hell N.Y.,CFP Masters and many more. Original P.R.O. , NXL Referee,PSP, NPPL, EXL, NCPA,CFPS,SPCS, Ultimate Madness, Areanaball, UK Referee . Draxxus All Stars '08 World Cup Masters Champion

R.I.P. Towlie & Odin & Opie

Yes i am the reason we have ID cards now sorry
BOOGPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:25 PM #15
Nomahsib

Nomahsib is an NCPA player
Nomahsib plays in the APPA D4 division
Nomahsib is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Nomahsib is Boss
I don't really have anything against it as long as they don't raise the gun, put their barrel bag on, and stay within the boundaries. I'm not saying that I will ever do it, but I'm ok with others doing it as long as they follow the rules.
Nomahsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:08 PM #16
Wicked-Vengence

I'd agree with Railz...

If a person doesn't have their hand/marker in the air or other obvious sign that they are out, shoot them.

Hell, I've been lazy walking off the field a few times and not held my hand up. I've been shot for it and consider it a reminder to not be lazy... End result is that no one should argue with getting shot if they aren't following the rules and making a clear indication that they are hit.
Wicked-Vengence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:31 PM #17
andrew hw99
Rck

andrew hw99 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
andrew hw99 plays in the APPA Pro division
actually i did this at a local tourny pretty funny but one of ref's said I called my self out and they charged me with playing on and we lost the match
Sacramento DMG #7
andrew hw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:01 PM #18
BIGN
Size sexy

BIGN is a Moderator
BIGN is a Supporting Member
BIGN is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
BIGN supports Ninja Paintball
we had a guy that played CFOA that was great at this...he is also the reason it is illegal in our series now....they dead man's walk got one of my players tackled because a player was out of the box and my player told him to get in the box...he did not so me and my player shot him...he tackled my teammate

but it was funny has hell to watch when it happened

Last edited by BIGN : 05-17-2008 at 06:03 PM.
BIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:04 PM #19
calvman
Clickety screeeee

calvman is a Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGN View Post
we had a guy that played CFOA that was great at this...he is also the reason it is illegal in our series now....they dead man's walk got one of my players tackled because a player was out of the box and my player told him to get in the box...he did not so me and my player shot him...he tackled my teammate

but it was funny has hell to watch when it happened
I'm amazed that he could pull it off at a CFOA. With all the paint in the air, I just don't understand how he didn't get tagged walking away.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
calvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:09 PM #20
BIGN
Size sexy

BIGN is a Moderator
BIGN is a Supporting Member
BIGN is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
BIGN supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvman View Post
I'm amazed that he could pull it off at a CFOA. With all the paint in the air, I just don't understand how he didn't get tagged walking away.
this was a few years back...when the CFOA wasn't so large....and when players in the CFOA where a little nicer...now we shoot ppl multiple times just to make sure and if you are playing buddies on the opposite side of the field bonus balling is even worse

and the man I refer to as being great at it was Jon Morrell...he is on the CFOA board of advisors now....but John done it so often that when a new team played john's team everyone came to watch to see if he would pull it off...I have seen him shoot 4 ppl during a "dead man's walk" take the flag from them and win the game

Last edited by BIGN : 05-17-2008 at 06:11 PM.
BIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 PM #21
Lohman446

No..

I've executed it against teams, I have had it executed against me. It normally causes a mass confusion on the field and animosity between players and teams that bleed over and cause further problems later on.

You want to try it, more power to you. You might succeed. Don't ever complain about overshooting and bonus balling after you have succeeded once.

Hence why its actually a written rule in most tournaments now. Acting like you are eliminated = you are eliminated.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote