Community Focus

Old 07-23-2008, 09:27 AM #1
Boznogel247
A real life lab baby

has been a member for 10 years
Boznogel247 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
How to troubleshoot your internet connection

Boznogel247’s Internet Troubleshooting Guide

So I notice a decent number of threads in ST:T regarding issues with internet connectivity. Here is how I go about resolving all my connectivity issues. This guide is for “was working, now broken” issues. This is for high speed/broadband connections. If you have dial up, get your sister/mother to stand on the corner a night a week to get a decent connection.

1. Restart your computer…can you browse now? COOL! If not, keep reading…

2. POWERCYCLE YOUR MODEM AND/OR ROUTER – Do this by unplugging the power cable from the back of the devices directly. DO NOT just press the power button on the back, completely remove the power cable. Leave it out for a good 10-20 seconds. If you have a router, unplug your modem first and while that is unplugged unplug your router. Plug your modem in first – most modems have a light labeled cable/sync/online/DSL – wait until that light is SOLID green before plugging in power to your router. About 90% of all internet issues can be fixed if this is done correctly.

3. If your still not getting a connection, its time to check your IP address.
A) Go to start, run, type in “cmd” and press enter – a black box should appear.
B) In this box type in “ipconfig” and press enter – a list of things should appear.

*if you are hardwired, look for the section “Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection”, if wireless look for “wireless adapter”*

What is listed for your IP address? IP address can almost be anything. If you are behind a router your IP should ALWAYS start with 192.x.x.x. If your IP address starts with 169.x.x.x, that is a non valid / not public IP address, therefore your computer is not getting a proper IP from your modem/router – hence why your internet is not working.

4. So you have a good valid IP eh? Your “default gateway” should be listed here as well. In the same command prompt box, type in “ping x.x.x.x” (with the x’s being the IP of your default gateway). This should start a ping session which should usually ping out 4 times. After its complete it will tell you packets sent and received and how many were lost. If you cannot ping your default gateway successfully with 4 sent and 4 received, the problem lies within your LAN connection (your onboard LAN or NIC –network card). Try disabling your LAN connection in the control panel/network connections and re enabling it. Try to ping again – if you are still not able to get results, it seems that your onboard/NIC is the culprit here.

5. So you have a good IP address AND you can ping your Default Gateway. In the same command prompt box that you should still have open type in “ping www.yahoo.com” or any website of your choice that you know for a fact is up and running. You should see another ping session take place. How many sent/received? If all of them are received back your PC is able to resolve domain names – your internet connection is fine. If you get no ping requests back, type in “ping 4.2.2.2” and press enter. This is a well known DNS server that you are pinging. How many packets sent/received?

A) If you are able to ping by domain name (www.yahoo.com), you should be able to ping by IP address more than likely. This indicates your internet is in fact up and running – open up IE, Firefox, Opera, ect and check to see if you are able to browse.
B) If you are NOT able to ping by domain name but ARE able to ping by IP address; there appears to be an issue with your DNS settings. At this point contact your ISP to get your DNS server addresses, as they may need to be hard set.
1) Go to start, control panel, network connections.
2) Right click on your LAN connection, click properties.
3) Scroll down and highlight “internet protocol (tcp/ip), click properties

7. Put a dot in the radial labeled “Use the following DNS server addresses” and input the primary and secondary DNS servers, click ok on this window and on the LAN properties window. Now go check to see if you can browse.

If you STILL cannot browse I advise you to take a look at your modem once again…do you see any thing abnormal as in RED BLINKING LIGHTS or no lights at all? If so call your ISP because more than likely your modem lost sync with the server on their end and they need to fix the issue themselves. If your modem looks good I still advice you to call your ISP. You could have some certain static IP settings that I did not mention/cover because those are pretty rare, and if you have a static IP you should be able to fix your own internet It could also possibly be a browser issue.

**Keep in mind that there are numerous forms of trojans, adaware, spyware, and viruses that can keep you from being able to browse as well.

If this guide is missing anything please let me know!!! Add to the sticky??

Last edited by Boznogel247 : 07-23-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Boznogel247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 AM #2
problah

problah is a Supporting Member
Okay, there is a slim chance on some off shoot routers that your private addressing could start with 10.x.x.x, or 172.x.x.x and be just fine, but it usually is 192.168.x.x.

DNS, if you can resolve and address by command line, and not by browser, you may have a proxy set up for your browser that you forgot about, as it should resolve DNS just fine.

PS, great troubleshooting steps. I would recommend saving the PC reboot until later.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 AM #3
t-bone510
in silico

Added to Sticky.

Great guide!
t-bone510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 AM #4
Boznogel247
A real life lab baby

Boznogel247 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Thanks guys
Old 07-24-2008, 11:04 AM #5
Genre
I just want to be free.

Great guide, but just pressing the modem power button twice generally works. I usually don't have to go through the "power cycle"
Genre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM #6
t-bone510
in silico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genre View Post
Great guide, but just pressing the modem power button twice generally works. I usually don't have to go through the "power cycle"
Could vary.
t-bone510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:30 PM #7
CAHunter3
Captain America

Wait a minute.... how does one read this without an internet connection!?!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM #8
walty609

The only thing I saw missing was to start at the physical layer! You should check your cable connections first. Too many times people start researching all this information(myself included) when the problem is that the cable is loose. I know ethernet cables have the clips, but it could still happen.

Great guide by the way, I'll have to save it as a text file so I can use it when needed, as pointed out by CAHunter3 haha
walty609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 AM #9
The Unlawful Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHunter3 View Post
catch 22!

(did i use 'catch 22' correctly? im still semi-unsure on what it means)
The Unlawful Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:31 AM #10
Genre
I just want to be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHunter3 View Post
print

"Unless we can make the philosophic foundations of a free society once more a living intellectual issue, and its implementation a task which challenges the ingenuity and imagination of our liveliest minds, the prospects of freedom are indeed dark. But if we can regain that belief in power of ideas which was the mark of liberalism at its best, the battle is not lost." - F. A. Hayek

Reason
Genre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:02 PM #11
problah

problah is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unlawful Waffle View Post
catch 22!

(did i use 'catch 22' correctly? im still semi-unsure on what it means)
Yes. Good job. Cookie awarded.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:26 PM #12
DarkEnigma
In Silence We Are Free

DarkEnigma donated to help Peyton Trent
DarkEnigma supports our troops
DarkEnigma is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
This sure would do a great job if you can't connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genre View Post
print
Damn, I was beaten, but you are never told when you are going to lose connection... so how would you know to have it?