ballbreakballa
Bagels

Annual Supporting Member
ballbreakballa plays in the PSP
ballbreakballa owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ballbreakballa supports Team VICIOUS
Anodizing Concerns

I have never sent anything out to be anodized and am a complete to this type of thing so if anybody here is an expert I would appreciate some help.

I reached out to a few companies mainly FX, Caustic, and LMG. Between these companies can you reasonably assume to get the same result from a basic one color ano?

Do all companies completely plug up all the threads and holes in the gun/pieces you send?

I plan on having my 3.1 taken from kryptonice to gloss black. Should I be worried about changes inside the gun (components not working)?

Does polishing then going gloss increase or decrease the thickness of the original ano if its a dust factory ano?

Is the area of where the bolt engine goes sealed or does that get anodized as well? Im just curious as to warranty and if their is a way to save the bolt chamber from being anodized and avoiding this all together?
ballbreakballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2014, 11:07 PM #2
jeepscantshootguns
Washed-Up-Has_Been

jeepscantshootguns owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jeepscantshootguns plays in the APPA D5 division
jeepscantshootguns has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'll help as best I can.

Your biggest factor between those companies is the fact that you're going dust to gloss. I'm not too familiar with LMG's final product but between the other two you'll probably see similar results.

Most people don't plug anything other than barrel backs if it's a set. That being said, new anno in the control bore if done correctly will have minimal effects and i don't think you'll notice any difference unless you go crazy with some digital calipers.

Going dust to gloss won't affect the internals at all. Also, the original anodizing layer will be completely stripped off so the only dimensions that will change will be the outside of the gun and even then it's not anything that will affect performance or even be noticeable to the naked eye.

Yes, more than likely the internal areas including where the bolt goes will be anno'd and it will almost certainly void the warranty. While it is possible to protect that area from the process, i doubt that it would save your warranty.

Long story short, when done properly, anodizing is perfectly safe for your gun. All dimensions will be relatively the same as before. At least close enough to not make a difference in fit and function.

Edit: There have been plenty of instances of ruined guns which is why I bolded those couple of phrases. If they strip with bleach and anno at 90* I don't want to hear anything about how I said nothing bad would happen.

Last edited by jeepscantshootguns : 02-20-2014 at 11:17 PM.
jeepscantshootguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:37 PM #3
ballbreakballa
Bagels

Annual Supporting Member
ballbreakballa plays in the PSP
ballbreakballa supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepscantshootguns View Post
I'll help as best I can.

Your biggest factor between those companies is the fact that you're going dust to gloss. I'm not too familiar with LMG's final product but between the other two you'll probably see similar results.

Most people don't plug anything other than barrel backs if it's a set. That being said, new anno in the control bore if done correctly will have minimal effects and i don't think you'll notice any difference unless you go crazy with some digital calipers.

Going dust to gloss won't affect the internals at all. Also, the original anodizing layer will be completely stripped off so the only dimensions that will change will be the outside of the gun and even then it's not anything that will affect performance or even be noticeable to the naked eye.

Yes, more than likely the internal areas including where the bolt goes will be anno'd and it will almost certainly void the warranty. While it is possible to protect that area from the process, i doubt that it would save your warranty.

Long story short, when done properly, anodizing is perfectly safe for your gun. All dimensions will be relatively the same as before. At least close enough to not make a difference in fit and function.

Edit: There have been plenty of instances of ruined guns which is why I bolded those couple of phrases. If they strip with bleach and anno at 90* I don't want to hear anything about how I said nothing bad would happen.
Thank you very much!

Out of those I named do you prefer one anodizer over the other?
ballbreakballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:02 AM #4
jeepscantshootguns
Washed-Up-Has_Been

jeepscantshootguns owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jeepscantshootguns plays in the APPA D5 division
jeepscantshootguns has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I try not to get in a habit of saying one company is better than another in regards to these services. I'd say check out the reviews and maybe talk to others that have had similar jobs done. Whoever you go with I'm sure will be more than happy to ease any concerns you may still have.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:25 AM #5
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D4 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
AS far as companies, personal preference, and all around quality of work from what I have personally seen... FX or Caustic.
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
***ONE OF A KIND G6R***
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:43 PM #6
Arnolds_Metal_Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaG Adrenal1ne View Post
AS far as companies, personal preference, and all around quality of work from what I have personally seen... FX or Caustic.
Yes I would have to say based on the work I have seen that these are all great companies. To better answer your question please email me at my attached email below and I would love to provide you with the necessary information needed as well as see if this is something you would like to move forward with getting done! I look forward to speaking with you at your earliest convenience.

Andrew Trieu
Director of Marketing
and New Business Development
Arnold's Metal Finishing
805 Aldo Avenue, Suite 104, Santa Clara CA 95054
P:408-588-0079 ext 114
Email: Andrew@Arnoldmetalfinishing.com
www.arnoldmetalfinishing.com
Arnolds_Metal_Finish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:23 AM #7
sixfootsideburns

Not to thread jack, but does this apply to barrels as well?
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:15 PM #8
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
FoidPoosening donated to help Peyton Trent
FoidPoosening is playing at Living Legends VI
FoidPoosening supports Bob Gurnsey
FoidPoosening supports our troops
FoidPoosening has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
FoidPoosening is Legendary
FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreakballa View Post
Thank you very much!

Out of those I named do you prefer one anodizer over the other?
Definitely FX. FX did this anno on my belsales. Also, In case you cannot tell, Maro actually anno matched both the freak tip and the front block to the gun, as they were done at a separate point in time. That is incredibly hard to do.

Despite six classes and two jobs, I keep ArmoryPaintball.com going because I love paintball! A sincere thank you to all of my customers all over the world for the continued business. :)
FoidPoosening is offline   Reply With Quote