Old 03-27-2014, 03:15 PM #1115
eatafetus
Swiggity Swooty

has been a member for 10 years
eatafetus supports our troops
eatafetus supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
Thing is, it's like a very well tuned mq valve. Funny how many people loved the mq and talk crap about the mini/axe operation. Fetus - PM me or we'll talk in the other thread. We'll get to the bottom of your issue. Broke Dad - PM me and we can either work out meeting at a field or I can walk you through whatever issues you're having.
Thanks bud. I'll try to work in it this weekend, and let you know. I also have an embarrassing story as to why my solenoid now functions properly
Old 03-27-2014, 03:31 PM #1116
ironyusa

ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
Hey man, it happens to the best of us.

METHOD Development
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:11 PM #1117
Thecure1221

plays in the NXL
Thecure1221 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Thecure1221 supports Team VICIOUS
Thecure1221 plays in the APPA D3 division
Thecure1221 supports DLX Technology
Has anybody tried x rings on the new lurker poppet? Just curious because I saw a lot of people using them on the stock poppet
Thecure1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 AM #1118
ironyusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecure1221 View Post
Has anybody tried x rings on the new lurker poppet? Just curious because I saw a lot of people using them on the stock poppet
I have, but I still needed to build up the floor via the teflon tape method. It seems to be working well.

METHOD Development
Old 03-28-2014, 01:10 PM #1119
Clark Gryphyn
Bad Juju

^ what he said.
Clark Gryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:00 PM #1120
midwestscrub
epiq

midwestscrub owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
midwestscrub supports DLX Technology
midwestscrub supports Empire
Just got my poppet and barrel. Installed everything, about to run and grab some paint and will get results shortly, seems to be cycling fine. Happy as of now.
midwestscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:29 PM #1121
surflamj
Splat Splat Boom

surflamj is playing at Living Legends X
surflamj is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
Definitely had some initial issues. which can be expected with this sort of thing. Got the air through before the poppet sealed, the gun was extremely loud so I only attempted a few trigger pulls. The gun had very little velocity and was rolling two balls out a shot. upon returning to the work bench the spring for the poppet was bent so my tuning is over until I can get a replacement.

The gun is also running a lurker bolt that has been in the gun for roughly a month or so and has been well tuned with roughly 10 cases since i installed it. Settings are as follows.

170 @ the reg
5 dwell
285 +/-5 FPS
1 1/4 turns out

EDIT~~~~

Bent the sprint back into shape somewhat and had another go at it. I don't have a crono so this was strictly off feel and familiarity with the consistency I had pre the poppet install. I moved the setting around per the manual Lurker provided and got rid of the extremely loud ting as well as gained some of the velocity back. At 1.25 turns out id guess I was getting in the 200-240FPS range. I shot a few strings and it seemed like every 4th or 5th ball was coming out at a significantly lower velocity. Without a crono I didn't want to waste paint eyeball tuning. The poppet definitely still effects the sound signature. I'm not sure its any louder, its just a noticeable difference.

I initially started out with the exact setting the manual lists;
140psi
1.25 turns
4ms dwell

immediately it was shooting much better then my first attempt. After shooting a few strings I ended up bumping the psi to 160 and the dwell to 4.5ms. So the settings I am currently sitting at are:
160psi
1.25 turns
4.5ms dwell

I'll be sweet spotting it tomorrow at the field and hopefully get it dialed in.

Last edited by surflamj : 03-28-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Update
surflamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:34 PM #1122
midwestscrub
epiq

midwestscrub owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
midwestscrub supports DLX Technology
midwestscrub supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflamj View Post
Definitely had some initial issues. which can be expected with this sort of thing. Got the air through before the poppet sealed, the gun was extremely loud so I only attempted a few trigger pulls. The gun had very little velocity and was rolling two balls out a shot. upon returning to the work bench the spring for the poppet was bent so my tuning is over until I can get a replacement.

The gun is also running a lurker bolt that has been in the gun for roughly a month or so and has been well tuned with roughly 10 cases since i installed it. Settings are as follows.

170 @ the reg
5 dwell
285 +/-5 FPS
1 1/4 turns out

Can the stock poppet spring be used with the lurker poppet? Or do I need to wait for a replacement?
The stock spring is barely long enough for the hole, my guess no

Last edited by midwestscrub : 03-28-2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: iphone autocorrected and owned me
midwestscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:45 PM #1123
surflamj
Splat Splat Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestscrub View Post
The stock spring is barely long enough for the hole, my guess no
I hadn't even dropped it in to check. When I saw the spring was bent I immediately face palmed and came here.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 PM #1124
imped4now
BTFU

imped4now owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
imped4now supports Ninja Paintball
Straighten it out as well as you can and run it. It's not a critical spring by any stretch.

Lurker27:
As far as I can tell, both Dye and PE don't have real issues with their britches"
Jack Wood: I certainly have no issue with my trousers. You're 100% correct there, Ryan.."
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 PM #1125
rwaldt

would cutting off 1/8 to 1/16in off the back cap on the mini help with the velocity problem?
rwaldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:34 PM #1126
surflamj
Splat Splat Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Straighten it out as well as you can and run it. It's not a critical spring by any stretch.
ill give it a shot. I wanna get this thing dialed in so bad!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:52 PM #1127
ironyusa

If you want to cut it, then 3/4" seems about right. I found a random spring in my bag tonight that I'm going to try. Aside from initial air up the spring isn't really critical anyway.

METHOD Development
Old 03-29-2014, 01:44 AM #1128
theblackoutsavage

theblackoutsavage is playing at Living Legends VII
theblackoutsavage owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
theblackoutsavage supports Empire
theblackoutsavage owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Still waiting on my order of the poppet and lube to arrive.. I ordered it during PBE and still haven't got it and Lurker doesn't seem to be answering any messages I sent him. I mean, I know he's busy and I appreciate that but a month and a half later is kind of frustrating.
You gas up the marker, put on the mask, and walk onto the field. It doesn't matter that you failed a test, your girlfriend broke up with you the night before, or that you just had a bad day at work. This is your heaven on earth. Live it and Play it as if there was no tomorrow.
theblackoutsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:11 AM #1129
ironyusa

I'll tell him this is here... Go ahead and PM him your info.

METHOD Development
Old 03-29-2014, 10:11 AM #1130
theblackoutsavage

theblackoutsavage is playing at Living Legends VII
theblackoutsavage owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
theblackoutsavage supports Empire
theblackoutsavage owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
I'll tell him this is here... Go ahead and PM him your info.
Alright, I did. Thank you Irony
You gas up the marker, put on the mask, and walk onto the field. It doesn't matter that you failed a test, your girlfriend broke up with you the night before, or that you just had a bad day at work. This is your heaven on earth. Live it and Play it as if there was no tomorrow.
theblackoutsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 AM #1131
Clark Gryphyn
Bad Juju

I noticed some anomalies with my solenoid when I was testing things the other day, so I took it out and cleaned it. Cleaned and re-lubed everything again while I was at it and put everything back together. So right now I'm at Lurker's suggested settings, but with a layer of teflon tape in the poppet groove and a 013 urethane o-ring straight off the stock poppets on there. (I tried a 013 x-ring first and it still had a lot of grab, most likely because of the way the teflon tape sits in the groove. The 013 o-ring felt perfect in terms of grab, but I'm hoping still gives me a good seal.) Based on feel the gun is shooting the same as my 2nd axe, which is tuned at 285 fps, same bolt, stock poppet. I'll have a chrono at home in a couple more days so I can test it out for sure.
Clark Gryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 AM #1132
Lurker27
Overthinker

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Mega Moderator
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
That's good, because if the settings are the same, the one with the lurker poppet should be very much more efficient.
Lurker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:50 AM #1133
minimag03

minimag03 is an NCPA player
Alright, I've got a few questions.

1) Why was the metric oring chosen for this poppet?

2) Could the tolerances of the orings themselves have something to do with the problem?

I was told by someone, who is very knowledgeable about the subject, that many metric orings aren't made with the same tolerances as standard sizes. I didn't really understand why metric oring tolerances were any worse than standard orings, but this guy was an engineer at AKA for years and knew what he was talking about. I don't think he was making a blanket statement about all metric orings, but was referring to the metric orings that are generally/readily available to us here in the US. It appears Lurker confirmed this a few pages back with this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
I noticed while I was installing rings that some of them seemed to be fitting in the groove better than others
I'm aware that all batches of orings are going to have some variability in size, but this seemed a bit extreme. Unless the poppet themselves have tolerance issues with the groove, it sounds like the orings are a little out-of-whack. (for lack of a better term lol)

I don't think the orings are the sole cause of issues though. The Axe is a cheaper gun being produced over seas, so I'd wager the bolt guides aren't being produced with the tightest tolerances either.

I'm really surprised Irony and Lurker didn't go with a standard size oring for these. Irony, you put a lot of time into testing orings for the Axe. You knew the benefits of urethane and xrings in an Axe better than anyone else. And I'm sure you also knew that it's difficult to find urethane or xrings in metric sizes. Lurker has always been one to 'embrace the numbers' while producing a product, and that's why his products kick so much butt. So why abandon all that research for this poppet?
Old 03-29-2014, 12:09 PM #1134
imped4now
BTFU

imped4now owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
imped4now supports Ninja Paintball
I would certainly support a change to standard oring sizes. Hell, optimize the groove size for an -013 or -012. I think that would be a design change worth exploring.

Lurker27:
As far as I can tell, both Dye and PE don't have real issues with their britches"
Jack Wood: I certainly have no issue with my trousers. You're 100% correct there, Ryan.."
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote