PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-18-2012, 07:27 AM #1
booboodinosaur

booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Playing nationally, playing twice a week, college life?

I've been wondering, how do college kids balance school, work,playing paintball twice a week and playing psp's or nppl's? I'm interested on what you guys do to get money (work wise,parents support or illegal means of income I'm not interested in) and get time off? I've been trying to get weekends off at every job I've worked and it hasn't worked very well. So what do you guys do? Full or part time college students that fit this description please post!
booboodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 AM #2
shortyrider114

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
shortyrider114 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
shortyrider114 plays in the APPA D3 division
well being a full time student I am lucky to only have class 2 days a week and I am able to work full time on the other days. I work 6 Days a week with saturday mornings off from work, but I have to go in at 5 and I have sundays off for paintball. Events are a little tricky, but if you give enough notice it shouldnt be a problem.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 AM #3
jtguy2269

go to school during the morning/afternoon, work in the evening and party at night.

-repeat

i work monday through friday and have saturday/sunday off for paintball and other activities.

as far as money goes i make about 500$ a week as a server, more than enough money for bills and paintball
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM #4
booboodinosaur

All good answers, interested what you and or do to get weekends off?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM #5
shortyrider114

plays in the NXL
shortyrider114 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
shortyrider114 plays in the APPA D3 division
I just tell my boss at least a month in advance to request the event off, and I made it clear to at least have sunday off every week.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM #6
jtguy2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboodinosaur View Post
All good answers, interested what you and or do to get weekends off?
seniority, i've worked for the same company for 3 years now. that and i'm always to hung over on weekends so they found i was a better worker during the week

and i told them i need sunday off for "family day and church"
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 AM #7
fox5100

plays in the NXL
fox5100 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
fox5100 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
fox5100 supports Shocker RSX
fox5100 supports Ninja Paintball
Dont sleep, study, work, eat, paintball, party, and repeat.Thats what i did in college.
fox5100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM #8
Pantalones
ELITE

I searched around for a flexible job and only take 12 credit hours a semester. Sacrifices, my friend.
Pantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 PM #9
Nikilwig
Double Up

Nikilwig plays in the PSP
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
I work ~30 hours a week and live with my parents to save money while I go to school. I get a lot of school work done at work to save time. Work/school has interfered with my nationals and regionals a bit though.
edit: I work through the weekends generally, and work 10 mins from Maynard. So NEPLs/Local practices are no problem i just go in after work. BOLP monday nights are more for fun than anything but if I want to be constructive it could be used to hone skills. National events and traveling for practices out of state (generally NJ/Maryland, likely mostly NJ this year for out of states) are a pain in the ***.

Have you shot a Vangaurd Demon yet?
Vanguard Demon | NXE | GI SPORTZ | Ninja Paintball | Warzone Paintball | Shadow Barrels | RAZA

Last edited by Nikilwig : 11-20-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Nikilwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM #10
JL1988

JL1988 plays in the APPA D4 division
JL1988 supports Ninja Paintball
When I played in high school (I know a little different, but same idea)..when I first got hired I told them I need Sunday's off for practice but can work any other time. Then when events came up, just put in request a few months ahead to make sure I got it off. Otherwise, just switch shifts with people. I lived at home at the time so it was necessary for me to work full time.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:13 PM #11
booboodinosaur

Anyone else want to post, like anyone on a D1 team?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM #12
StraightBalla

I goto college and play PSP events. Just get a job that can work around your schedule once you get it, AND makes enough money to support partying and paintball. Serving is probably your best bet depending on where you live. I played most of the events this past season including world cup, and I was fine. Try and get just the mornings off of the weekends, because if you serve, most of your bank will come from the weekend nights.

Maryland Ballas Club!!

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post33008222
StraightBalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 PM #13
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
A bit of advice from an "old guy" - skip the partying lifestyle. You'll save yourself a bunch of money, as well as not screwing yourself up with alcohol and whatever else may turn up at a party. That will free up your nights for homework and/or a job, and you won't have to deal with hangovers.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 AM #14
S_Carter
Nuclear Cowboy.

S_Carter plays in the PSP
S_Carter plays in the APPA D5 division
I played D3 NPPL this season and I'm in my 3rd/final year of my college program.
First of all, living at home is a huge help for keeping expenses down.
During school, I work part-time at a grocery store to keep money coming in. Getting time off is no problem since I have 5 years of seniority in my department, and it's usually easy to switch shifts with someone if I need a day off to play paintball. The last two years I would pick up another job for the summer full time and used that to build up money to cover my season.
Team practices for me are a two hour drive at least once a month, but this past summer I was gone almost every weekend. Sometimes we had weekend practices or had to ref tournaments as well.

It's definitely hard to keep up with paying for gas for driving across town for school 5 days a week, then driving out of town on the weekends to play paintball. There's really not much free time, and pretty often I have days during the week where I will go straight to work from school. It can be stressful at times with major assignments and exams coming up to try to balance a life school/work/friends/sleep/paintball and more.
S_Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM #15
Remyisx

Remyisx is attending Decay of Nations VI
Keeping a good schedule is very helpful in situations like this. School should come first. If t interferes with your playing time so be it. Trust me you would rather have a good education and being sucky in the field and not even playing on a team then the other way around. Your older self will thank you.

Well work should always be more important then paintball. Yes if you can make good money and have Sundays off that's a huge plus and even ask for days off for event a double plus. But if you don't have a decent job to pay for bills then you won't have money to sling paint.

And thirdly play paintball whenever you can even if it's not with your team cause who knows when your crazy schedule will open up again fr you to play
Remyisx is offline   Reply With Quote