Community Focus

Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 PM #1
bybee5150

has been a member for 10 years
bybee5150 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bybee5150 is for the Gunfight
bybee5150 supports DLX Technology
Cool hammerhead mofo barrel

I recently purchased a hammerhead mofo gold barrel with fins. I have never had a barrel that requires you to tune it to a "sweet spot" for it to shoot accurately. With this sweet spot the velocity needs to be at around 260-270 fps. I usually shoot at 285. Does anybody know why it needs to be so low for it to work properly? Not sure if I like this idea. If anyone has these barrels let me know what you think as well. I am using this barrel with a Dye NT10.
bybee5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM #2
WildWayz
The Moose God

WildWayz owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
You'll see when you use it, at 260-270 you'll still shoot further than at 285. I believe it is to do with aerodynamics of the ball flight - you don't want to be shooting too high as it has to spin the ball the right amount.

Put it like this...

I had a GEO 2.1 and a Hammerhead Mofo Gold.

Stock barrel set to 275-280fps
Mofo set to 265fpsish

The mofo was shooting straighter and further than the stock barrel - same boresize.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:39 PM #3
learningxp

How do you guys like the Hammerhead barrel? I'm thinking of getting a set for myself.
DP Rev-i
DP Fusion X
Bob Long MVP
Macdev Clone GT
learningxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 PM #4
2thdoc

Hammerhead barrel

Just received the kit 1 month ago, with all bore sizes available. My advice so far.... save some money and go with the smallest 3 sizers as most paint balls these days are .684 or smaller. I have had problems with mid to longer range accuracy (15-30 yards) despite "tuning". To be fair it could have been the paint. Called Paul at the company and he is sending me a .684 barrel and I should send back the .689 to him. I will post further review once I have tried out the .684 barrel.
I have also ordered the Lapco Tightstick (.681) to compare. I will have a review out soon on the Tightstick.
2thdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 PM #5
timelessdental

hammerhead .684 update

Just received .684 barrel and tried it out this weekend... I was amazed at the difference in accuracy. Dead on ball on ball accuracy short range with more predictable 1 foot. grouping mid to long range..20 + yards. Many players could not determine where shots were coming from. Also recieved lapco tightstick .681 and I will post review next week after I have tried it out.
timelessdental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 AM #6
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
At higher velocities the rifling can cause balls to spin weird (supposedly). Should be ok at 285 tho

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 10-04-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM #7
sam90
www.FXAnodizing.com

sam90 plays in the APPA beginner division
is the mofo worth it

Eagle Scout
sam90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 PM #8
Mike838

The reason why adding too much spin to a paintball will cause it veer off course is:

if and when a paintball shell spins, after the initial inertia of the paint fill is overcome, the fill will also begin to spin. Once the paint fill is spinning, the fill will spin and cause changes in the center of gravity of the entire paintball resulting in random flight patterns. These random flight patterns are caused because of how a spinning object rotates around its center of gravity. If the center of gravity is always changing (due to the spinning paint fill), the axis at which the paintball rotates will be constantly changing.

This effect can be observed with a raw egg. Spin the entire egg shell very quickly, once the egg is spinning, use your finger to stop the shell, immediately let your finger off the shell and (if the egg was spinning fast enough before you stopped the shell) the shell will begin to spin again (due to the momentum of the egg yolk inside). This shows how the fluid inside of an object can and will affect the motion of the "shell"

Another explanation to having too much spin is a result from the gyroscopic forces of a spinning object. A military example is called "bullet spin drift" and one can read more about it here: http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/...iolisDrift.htm. A more practical example is a spinning top. The same principal applies, a top spun to the right will drift slowly to the right, a top spun to the left will drift to the left. Try it out if you would like. (make sure your surface is completely flat and is very very smooth). So an object spun at higher velocities will have a greater drift, and an object spun at lower velocities will have a lower drift.

Hopefully this helps answer a few questions before one sits down and thinks about all of this information and several dozen new questions are formed: like...
-which force has more impact on a paintball, the spinning fill or the "spin drift"
-since a paintball has significantly less velocity than a bullet, does the spin drift principle have that much of an effect?
-since a paintball is an imperfect spherical projectile (dimples, the seam, the shell is flexible), does spinning it really have that much to do with the accuracy? would a perfect none spinning paintball behave better than a perfect paintball spinning or vis versa?
-does the rifling of this barrel actually spin the paintball in a ballistic manner?
-does the reduced velocity required to improve accuracy with these barrels, affect the breakablity of the shell at farther distances? (they could travel farther but have less momentum bc their spin could be keeping them in flight, not 100% on this physics topic, but i am sure i remember something about a spin on a projectile can generate a kind of "lift")
-does this rifled barrel really help improve accuracy? or is it just better quality paint flying better than crappy paint? OR does the rifled barrel actually make your shots more accurate at lower velocities due to less spin of the paint fill and less spin drift? It would be awesome if someone could test what the velocity range was of these barrels, but just thinking of all the independent, dependent, and controlled and mainly all the uncontrollable variables would deem an experiment pretty much futile

I hope this helps answer your question while also raising many more.
Mike838 is offline   Reply With Quote