PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 PM #1
theguythatownsyou
BY GOD SON

has been a member for 10 years
I'm signing up!!

Hey all. I am 17 years old...and just recently got the notion to join the military. The Marine Corps sounds like the brach for me... My parents don't really know what to think. (I'm very "intellegent" and "popular", so they assumed I would be going straight into college) Around here, there is a steriotype that those who join the armed forces do so because they are incapable of succeeding in other occupations...in the "real world". Noone really saw it coming...and all I have really gotten as a response is "Why are you joining the Marines?" There are a few teachers that are encouraging me, though. The teacher I am closest with, Coach Hall, is the marketing teacher. He is trying to talk me into it, big time. I am going to go into the marketing/advertising field in the long run..(laying out ad-campaigns, etc) I was wondering...is there an MOS that would suit me better than others? My local recruiter isn't too capable of really giving me much advice. I would love to do something related in some way to my job interests, but I'm not hesitant about being deployed. I am also undecided on a few issues...Active or Reserves...and length of enlistment. Any help or advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Michael
hot in the mind of a STer must mean any non-fat breathing vagina. "
"Originally posted by Ghetto Bobo
God hates you. Satan hates you to. Meaning, when you die, you'll likely be anally raped by a horse for all eternity. "
theguythatownsyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 PM #2
icdballer27
Nasir Jones

every consider NROTC? Study whatever you want in college and graduate with a degree and become a Marine
icdballer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM #3
crazysteve

First Good luck, it will the most fun and the crapest exp of your life sometimes just minutes apart. Don't worry you will see every intelligence level (ok, not really you are going into the Marines ), race, creed, and city/hick. Trust me you will see it all.

This type of decision must not be taken lightly though. Commit 100% or don't even try. Look at all the services. They are all unique and offer different things. The Army (what I know) offers larger bonus and faster promotion if you're worth a damn. And if you go 11B Infantry or 19D Cav. Scout, you'll be with a bunch of high speed individuals that are at the same level as a Marine in a bat. For non-combat, such as what you were mentioning, I do believe there are some fields in journalism or once you get done with tng, volunteer to work in Brigade S-3, you'll put plenty of stupid **** together.(For the love of God under no circumstances do this

I would suggest at least 3 years, so that you able to take advantage of the full GI Bill benefits.

If you have any more ? ask away
Thomas
crazysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 PM #4
theguythatownsyou
BY GOD SON

Quote:
Originally Posted by icdballer27 View Post
every consider NROTC? Study whatever you want in college and graduate with a degree and become a Marine
I've heard of it. It sounds awesome. Do you have any more details/info on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysteve View Post
First Good luck, it will the most fun and the crapest exp of your life sometimes just minutes apart. Don't worry you will see every intelligence level (ok, not really you are going into the Marines ), race, creed, and city/hick. Trust me you will see it all.

This type of decision must not be taken lightly though. Commit 100% or don't even try. Look at all the services. They are all unique and offer different things. The Army (what I know) offers larger bonus and faster promotion if you're worth a damn. And if you go 11B Infantry or 19D Cav. Scout, you'll be with a bunch of high speed individuals that are at the same level as a Marine in a bat. For non-combat, such as what you were mentioning, I do believe there are some fields in journalism or once you get done with tng, volunteer to work in Brigade S-3, you'll put plenty of stupid **** together.(For the love of God under no circumstances do this

I would suggest at least 3 years, so that you able to take advantage of the full GI Bill benefits.

If you have any more ? ask away
Thomas
I'm definitely not dead set on Marines, yet. The bonuses of the Army sound nice...I could really use that money. I'm going to try to not let that sway my decision, though. I have considered journalism. I DO NOT want any certain MOS in order to get myself out of "real combat" situations, though... Do the Marine Corps jornalists carry a rifle like the rest? I'm not sure what you mean about that Brigade S-3, could you clarify?

Thanks a lot.
God hates you. Satan hates you to. Meaning, when you die, you'll likely be anally raped by a horse for all eternity. "
Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 PM #5
JackH (Banned)

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguythatownsyou View Post
I've heard of it. It sounds awesome. Do you have any more details/info on it?

I'm definitely not dead set on Marines, yet. The bonuses of the Army sound nice...I could really use that money. I'm going to try to not let that sway my decision, though. I have considered journalism. I DO NOT want any certain MOS in order to get myself out of "real combat" situations, though... Do the Marine Corps jornalists carry a rifle like the rest? I'm not sure what you mean about that Brigade S-3, could you clarify?

Thanks a lot.
First, don't enlist on a whim

Secondly, The Enlistment bonuses vary per service, the Army ones aren't that great, and if you want to do PA, join the Air Force or Navy. and to answer your question about the marines, every Marine is a rifleman first.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 PM #6
theguythatownsyou
BY GOD SON

I wouldn't call it a whim. It's more of an epiphany, lol. I'm definitely going to be sure of what I do before I do it. It's just..as soon as I thought about it, I knew right then that it was what I want to do. I do understand that it's the one of the biggest commitments you can make, and that I have to be prepared for it. I just think it's my duty to join the armed forces. It would be an awesome experience...and a right of passge at the same time.

I'm bad with acronymns. What is meant by "PA"?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 PM #7
crazysteve

The S-3 is the operations cell for the Brigade/battalion. They do the planning of operations and such. As a lower enlisted it will absolutely suck the life out of you. It was an inside joke of sorts. As far as bonuses in the Army goes its dependent upon the MOS. Some MOS wont get you jack and others can draw 20k. Dont select a job based on the bonus though.

Thomas
crazysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 PM #8
yello ducc
ur mom

i'd recommend college first though....even in the military education counts
Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 PM #9
WarCzar

WarCzar is a Supporting Member
WarCzar is a founding member
True yello ducc, but mostly if you are staying in past the first enlistment, for the Navy at least. But its always better to have your Edu. paid for by someone else.

The ROTC programs are great, and you will enter service as an Officer. Has its perks I guess. Some of the O's here can probably tell you more.

We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm. - George Orwell
WarCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 PM #10
theguythatownsyou
BY GOD SON

I've heard a few times about programs in which you go to basic training, go to college and participate in rotc, and when you graduate you are automatically an officer. Does anyone know anything about this program?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 PM #11
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by yello ducc View Post
i'd recommend college first though....even in the military education counts
I disagree. Unless you are planning on becoming an officer, it makes more sense to enlist for a three year term first. After three years active duty you are eligible for the new GI bill, which is basically a full ride scholarship..
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 PM #12
WarCzar

WarCzar is a Supporting Member
WarCzar is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
I disagree. Unless you are planning on becoming an officer, it makes more sense to enlist for a three year term first. After three years active duty you are eligible for the new GI bill, which is basically a full ride scholarship..
Have the changes for the GI bill gone into effect for people who are out already? Im hearing it goes up in June? which wont effect the guy, just curious.

We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm. - George Orwell
WarCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:00 PM #13
berserker19

The full new bill goes into effect next fall. However, the rates have gone up considerably for this year. Full time rate is at $1321 right now. If you already paid 1200 or more into the MGIB and go to school full time in the future you will eventually get that money back too. www.gibill2008.org
Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 PM #14
JackH (Banned)

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
The full new bill goes into effect next fall. However, the rates have gone up considerably for this year. Full time rate is at $1321 right now. If you already paid 1200 or more into the MGIB and go to school full time in the future you will eventually get that money back too. www.gibill2008.org
I'm glad Im done with school already
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:23 AM #15
theubernoob
phx to nyc

i'd go to college first. maybe do the rotc program.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 AM #16
berserker19

I'm guessing all you guys who say 'would do college first' have rich parents, because last time I checked it costs $50,000+ to go to college. The full ROTC scholarships are hard to get. Also, unless you are going officer, a college degree won't help you much as an enlisted man. Civilian education for promotion credit maxes out at about the two year mark, and only counts for 100 points in the Army.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:01 AM #17
theubernoob
phx to nyc

just cuz we're telling him to go to college first doesn't mean anything. i don't have rich parents and i didn't have the money to go to a normal college. but you better believe i'm gonna bust my *** so my kids can go to a normal college cuz thats the best option.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 AM #18
berserker19

Understood. But think about this: If you are planning on enlisting in the Army, it would be stupid to go to college first and enlist afterwards, because be doing it the other way around college would be paid for with the GI bill (saving you and your parents a ton of money). They have loan repayment programs too, but they suck.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:25 AM #19
KingTomis

KingTomis supports our troops
The closest thing to marketing/PR work that I can think of is 37F, psyop.

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=7

I'm enlisting as a 37f
Old 09-11-2008, 01:42 PM #20
theubernoob
phx to nyc

Quote:
Understood. But think about this: If you are planning on enlisting in the Army, it would be stupid to go to college first and enlist afterwards, because be doing it the other way around college would be paid for with the GI bill (saving you and your parents a ton of money). They have loan repayment programs too, but they suck.
true. but i figure if you go to college first you can become an officer and you have time to think about what you want to do with your life. just like a buffer period for your mind to mature a little bit
Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM #21
sharpshooter109

Quote:

He could get an rotc scholarship in which they pay for everthing in exchange of you serving as an officer for 6 years.
sharpshooter109 is offline   Reply With Quote