Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-03-2012, 03:38 PM #1
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Perception of Pump Players

Why is it that rec ball players either have huge respect for pump players or constantly diss them for wiping? For example, I was playing with my phantom today during a normal walk on day. During one match it ended up being four on one, with me being the one and the four all having DMs, Demons, Egos, ect. Only one of them shot me in the ankle where it bounced, the ref did a paint check and called me clean. Three of them called themselves out after running out of paint. The last one, I ran up on, he called himself out, on the way to the out of bounds decided that the shot I shot him with bounced and shot me out.

tltr, I normally get respect for playing pump, and doing well with it. But every now and then there are idiots that think just because they shoot the best guns on the market they are better than everyone else, and that must mean I am wiping.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 PM #2
HeatedNubbycake
^^^Gamertag^^^

HeatedNubbycake plays in the PSP
HeatedNubbycake supports Team VICIOUS
HeatedNubbycake supports Pev's Paintball
HeatedNubbycake has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
In my opinion, i think its 100% related to speedball players being pissed off. same thing happens at my field. 95% of the people there are mature enough to have the respect for me going against speedball players all day every weekend. then you have the few who think there better then EVERYONE and cant handle the fact that someone with one shot just shot them out. and if you think about it. if you go around running your mouth that your the best because you bought a new luxe, then someone with a pre 2k RF pump shoots you out, you look like a moron in front of everyone you just told how good you were.

people just getting pissed cause you make them look like nooblets

The only urine sample your getting from me is a taste test.
HeatedNubbycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:59 PM #3
JohnSherman
Decade of ****posting

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballoliver View Post
Why is it that rec ball players either have huge respect for pump players or constantly diss them for wiping? For example, I was playing with my phantom today during a normal walk on day. During one match it ended up being four on one, with me being the one and the four all having DMs, Demons, Egos, ect. Only one of them shot me in the ankle where it bounced, the ref did a paint check and called me clean. Three of them called themselves out after running out of paint. The last one, I ran up on, he called himself out, on the way to the out of bounds decided that the shot I shot him with bounced and shot me out.

tltr, I normally get respect for playing pump, and doing well with it. But every now and then there are idiots that think just because they shoot the best guns on the market they are better than everyone else, and that must mean I am wiping.
I don't hold either of those beliefs, particularly the "huge respect" one, nor do I know anyone who does.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 PM #4
paintballoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
I don't hold either of those beliefs, particularly the "huge respect" one, nor do I know anyone who does.
You're right, there are players that just see me as another player. However I am the only pump player at my field, everyone else either rents or has mid to high end speedball guns. People respect me because of how I hold my ground when I only carry one hundred paintballs on the field.

It is a shame that I remember the players that call me a wiper and cheater more than the players that compliment me.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 AM #5
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
 is playing at Living Legends XI
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I don't think it matters of you play pump or semi. I have respect for the player and enjoy the marker but it doesn't define how I treat someone. You are all targets, no matter what marker you shoot.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM #6
oldschool45

I think it is what you make it. I run a silver Phantom and most people think is an Automag till they see the 10 round tubes across my chest.
I ref for free (or comps) and play as I like. I've never been called a cheater even though I feel bad about the number of bounces I normally get( Valken infinity & faith just don't like to break).
I had one smart-*** with a Carver last weekend said to my face that he "hates pumps." I told him to grab his buddy and meet me on the airball field for a little 2v1 game.
Game starts
buddy;"where is he"
OS45; 1 balled him in the tank from 3/4 field, 1 down 1 to go
SA; has a moment of inspiration and tries to bunker me
Result we eliminated each other when he came a knocking and I was waiting.
He then proceeds to brag about how he "won"
As Ron White says "you can't fix stupid"
Anyone with brains can see when people are full of ****. The people wearing the shirt with 2000 & 1 reasons why they didn't win get ignored pretty quick when they don't produce.
Play honorably & enjoy even the losses then pay it forward. Anybody can talk **** it takes action to earn respect.
My favorite pump moment from last weekend. Someone asked how I got eliminated. Ref tells him how I got lit up while trying to bunker someone. Dude's eyes were like
oldschool45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 AM #7
Danny96211

Danny96211 posts videos on PbNation
Danny96211 supports Empire
Theres no pump players at my field lol, just a lot of kids and teenagers with their expensive electros. Man, do they love to ramp...
Danny96211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM #8
venarius

Playing Pump / Pistol / Limited Ammo is a self-imposed handicap.

Other people hate having the upper hand (superior tech) and still losing...

In a "fair match" (semi vs semi) they can say "well the odds were even, he got lucky".

When defeated by a pump/pistol player, they don't want the "cognitive dissonance" of admitting they were beaten despite their more favored odds... so they try to rationalize it away by insulting you.

I was playing against an arrogant fellow with a super-electro yesterday, I took him out with 1 shot from my pistol to his head... and he had a lot to say after that... none of it in good sport.

Try not to mind people who "start steppin". It's just a game. Show it to 'em where it counts... On The Field!

As I see it, Pistol/Pump play adds more to the game in terms of movement and it gives hope to the "newbie little kids" every week... "If he can do it with a pump, I can do it with my rental!"

That said, I played with a guy who played pump yesterday (after that pistol story) and he had my back on a fortress assault up on point. He looked at me and said "Pretty sad a guy with a pump is giving you backup fire!"

He made it further then most others with less ammo used... and more respect gained for his self imposed handicap - In my opinion, at least.
Autococker (built from scratch myself back in the day!)

Last edited by venarius : 11-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.
venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 PM #9
inferno2inferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballoliver

I understand what you mean. The conflict arises in my opinion over illusions about firing speed, pump shoots slower, so some think its bad for that reason. As a speedball player, I love my fast shooting markers; that's my style. I think that a lot of players have this illusion that faster firing is better an it's those with that attitude that rip on pump players. In reality, it's your accuracy that matters, and if you are shooting 5-10 pump shots to hit a guy that is by the numbers more accurate that a speedballer shooting 30+ to hit a guy. If the issue ever comes up again with a speedballer, just point out that his usual "accuracy by volume" claim is by default definition an oxymoron.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 AM #10
rexisme

rexisme supports DLX Technology
I've ran across more people that play pump because its the "hip" thing to do now than I've ran across playing pump because they like it.

It seems though that every pump player has the exact same story. They were either outnumbered by electro's or they sent a spoiled newb home with his tail between his legs because they walked all over him all day long.

I just started playing paintball again heavily almost 2 months ago and in that time I've ran across 1 pump player that was legit. What was ironic about it, he didn't tell me any stories about how many people he got out with his pump because he didnt' have to. You knew.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 AM #11
o5pr3y
I hate my Username

o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool45 View Post
I had one smart-*** with a Carver last weekend said to my face that he "hates pumps." I told him to grab his buddy and meet me on the airball field for a little 2v1 game.
Game starts
buddy;"where is he"
OS45; 1 balled him in the tank from 3/4 field, 1 down 1 to go
SA; has a moment of inspiration and tries to bunker me
Result we eliminated each other when he came a knocking and I was waiting.
He then proceeds to brag about how he "won"
As Ron White says "you can't fix stupid"
:
Reminds me of this scene:
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 AM #12
paintballoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexisme View Post

I just started playing paintball again heavily almost 2 months ago and in that time I've ran across 1 pump player that was legit. What was ironic about it, he didn't tell me any stories about how many people he got out with his pump because he didnt' have to. You knew.
And I don't go to the field bragging, I was just curious why people think that just because I have a pump means that I am not a good player. I used to be a speedball player, using my Angle every weekend. If I would play against a pump player I would not underestimate him. And if I would get eliminated by him, I made sure he was on the other team again, gives me more of a challenge.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 PM #13
nerdcore
Radical!

nerdcore is a top reviewer
nerdcore is Legendary
I don't seem to get either reaction when i play pump. Then again, i don't talk to anyone else unless i know them.

Well, there was one time a ref rooted for me, being the only pump player. But i think it's cuz he was also a pump player and we seemed to be a rare breed at that field.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 AM #14
loneassassin
A Grim and...

9 times out of 10, when I show up at the field and pull out my pump, nobody even knows what it is. Some ask if it's a shotgun, then get all scared. Others ask how many times I have to pump it, and whether or not it shoots "harder" than their semi. After a few games, people are convinced my gun is more accurate and/or I'm using full-auto. My skills are completely disregarded. It must be the gun...

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 AM #15
SKI008

plays in the NXL
I get a lot of the usual "Does it shoot harder/faster/more accurately/do you have to pump it after every shot/how many times do you have to pump it to get to 300 fps?" questions but have only ever had one guy be an ******* about how pumps are terrible.

And then I bunkered his fat, Ego-shooting *** in the next game.

But I also am not a blowhard going around whining about being at a ROF disadvantage or bragging about how I bunkered 37 people on the airball field so that probably helps. If you let your skill do the talking you probably won't have anyone being a dick to you.

I also have a 2012 G6R that comes out in the event of said dickery. Only ever did that once in anger after watching a kid wipe hit after hit off for 4 straight games (including one on his face and several to his pack). He did not have much luck wiping 15 hits off.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM #16
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Stop worrying about what other people think and play paintball how you want to. That's how you get the best respect, being yourself without being a jerk about it.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 PM #17
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
Stop worrying about what other people think and play paintball how you want to. That's how you get the best respect, being yourself without being a jerk about it.
I was just gonna say, just play and don't worry about appearances.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 AM #18
njk

Either they'll love u or hate you. I seem to get more respect from the speedball guys more then the newbie walk ons at first. Their more impressed with the flashy electros and fancy jerseys the speedball/tourney guys have. But by the end of the day the newbs are my buddy because of how I play and treat others on & off the field.

The only thing I HATE is the "your gun shoots farther and that's the only way you/he got me"

Last edited by njk : 11-07-2012 at 06:35 AM.
njk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 AM #19
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Funny, I hear about as much "Oh man, those guys shoot fast!" as I do "Hey, look that guy has a shotgun/little hopper/grenade launcher!".

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 AM #20
prologix
Now:running with scissors

prologix owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
prologix owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
prologix owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
prologix has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I am effectively a newbie, been playing for a long time but not often, brought out my new (to me) Phantom and the refs and other players instantly treated me like I knew what I was doing. They were surprised I was volunteering to run with the rental guys vs the kids with the matching outfits and ramping. Hey I would have had to wait for the next game or play now, and we actually beat them. (cool clothes and ramping is not the whole game). I was getting respect because of the pump, and I think my attitude, but the pump did seem to garner respect.
BTW, I am not anti ramping, my Tippmann has the RT trigger and I like it, but I am conscious not to over shoot or bonus ball a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk View Post
The only thing I HATE is the "your gun shoots farther and that's the only way you/he got me"
Yep flatline barrels do shot farther, that's why I bought it.
What does a man have to do to get a 20-year badge around here anyway?
prologix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:56 PM #21
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexisme View Post
I've ran across more people that play pump because its the "hip" thing to do now than I've ran across playing pump because they like it.

It seems though that every pump player has the exact same story. They were either outnumbered by electro's or they sent a spoiled newb home with his tail between his legs because they walked all over him all day long.

Yep. I don't really see a lot of arrogant speedballers (really it's only the 15 and under types that act that way), but I do meet a ton of ****-talking pump players who will always say they lost a game because of their self imposed handicap.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote