PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 AM #1
NPPL Super 7
HB

NPPL Super 7 plays in the USPL
2011 Surf City USA Media Passes

The NPPL will be launching a online media pass request form in the next few days. We will post here on pbnation when the form is live.

This event has already generated a unusual amount of requests for passes and we anticipate a huge media presence. In a effort to provide the best service possible to our legitimate media/industry partners we have once again retained Chris Laquinta as the official NPPL media liason.

The cost for a pass at HB will be $40.00 for approved applications.

Please do not pm this user name with media pass questions, a email address will be posted in conjunction with online requests.
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 AM #2
$h@key J0nEZ
The South Will Rise Again

Charging photographers who bring thousands of dollars worth of equipment into harms way and who hardly make enough money to cover transportation and food costs for events = fail. Don't make the same mistakes as the PSP.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:33 AM #3
[Angel][SCF]
Who Dares Plays

Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
Charging photographers who bring thousands of dollars worth of equipment into harms way and who hardly make enough money to cover transportation and food costs for events = fail. Don't make the same mistakes as the PSP.

im not a photographer, but i dont see why anyone would charge photographers to come and publicize your event. seems counter intuitive. but hey what do I know about it?? im just here to shoot ppl.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM #4
sixsixsix69
Aggressively Lazy

sixsixsix69 is a Supporting Member
sixsixsix69 is a founding member
sixsixsix69 is a Paintball photographer
sixsixsix69 supports Team VICIOUS
NPPL saw that PSP was making money off photographers... they saw a way to make money. It's a business, their main goal is to make a profit for their organization. I don't blame them for charging for a pass...

However, I have to now decide if I want to shoot the event. My guess is that the small $40 fee will not weed out any non "legitimate media/industry partners" So they will still have the same large number of photographers crowding the sidelines...

Last edited by sixsixsix69 : 03-17-2011 at 10:51 AM.
sixsixsix69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:01 AM #5
wyobigdawg
wyobigdawg

has been a member for 10 years
wyobigdawg supports Team VICIOUS
Well strech you have one team booked if you decide to shoot HB
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3632601&highlight=
wyobigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 AM #6
NPPL Super 7
HB

NPPL Super 7 plays in the USPL
Gentelman

Before you come to any judgment, wait until you get the facts about our program.

We have always appreciated and supported legitimate media.

Lets be professional.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:08 PM #7
olpkid71

who do we email to get the pass?

thanks!
www.exaltpaintball.com
olpkid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:13 PM #8
[Angel][SCF]
Who Dares Plays

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPPL Super 7 View Post
Gentelman

Before you come to any judgment, wait until you get the facts about our program.

Lets be professional.
oh fer sure. and im not saying you let any old photographer in with a disposable camera. and i dont wanna see the entire sideline lined with lenses either, thats distracting for everyone. and im not condemning the NPPL for trying to make a profit, if theyre even getting a profit after administrative fees and making media ID's and w/e (player ID's cost 60 after all, and while no one likes paying it, its one of those realities). and youre right, i dont know the whole situation behind the policy. but when the rival tournament circuit faced backlash over a similar policy, copying them doesnt seem like the best move to make.

what i really hope is happening is someone is screening photographers first. maybe asking for some samples of their past work shooting PB games. cuz getting legit photographers affiliated within the industry and culture seems like the best way to go. not every single team's local newspaper or facebook page webmaster lining the fields.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:39 PM #9
evolancer
改善

evolancer is a Paintball photographer
evolancer is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by olpkid71 View Post
who do we email to get the pass?

thanks!
Quote:

a email address will be posted in conjunction with online requests.
here.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 PM #10
RenegadeLegion4
F8 and be there!-Photomob

RenegadeLegion4 is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Gentelman

Lets be professional.
I welcome anything that will improve the conditions from last year's sidelines and "media" passes. I look forward to reading the details of the program and will see you in HB.

Robert Abitia
ShootMeRob.com
ProPaintball.com
Legion MOB : TIL I DIE Feedback
RenegadeLegion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 PM #11
pb_king
Peanut Butter Sports

pb_king is a Paintball photographer
last year you guys only charged $10 for the HB pass
whats with the 400% increase?????
pb_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:19 PM #12
***MINIONS*** (Banned)

***MINIONS*** plays in the USPL
***MINIONS*** plays in the PSP
***MINIONS*** owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
***MINIONS*** supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_king View Post
last year you guys only charged $10 for the HB pass
whats with the 400% increase?????
well the price of booze and hookers went up in HB dont you think its fitting passes go up as well?
***MINIONS*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:26 PM #13
pb_king
Peanut Butter Sports

pb_king is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***MINIONS*** View Post
well the price of booze and hookers went up in HB dont you think its fitting passes go up as well?

somethings just dont make sense
but ok
if i get teams ill just pay it
cant help it
pb_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 PM #14
KMAYER1221
rip dan donlon

KMAYER1221 is a Paintball photographer
KMAYER1221 plays in the PSP
KMAYER1221 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
KMAYER1221 is Legendary
I shot NPPL DC last year and there was a guy on the sideline taking pics with an Iphone. Not even kidding. I took a picture but I don't know where it went.

So I guess at least this will thin out the illegitimate media personell.
KMAYER1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 PM #15
AKAMedia
AKActionMedia

AKAMedia is a Paintball photographer
AKAMedia owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
AKAMedia posts videos on PbNation
AKAMedia plays in the APPA D4 division
I see this being something still better then PSP because they charge way too much for people to film or take pics.

$40 bucks to me is fine to pay. Cant wait for my first event in Chicago
AKAMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM #16
Berlin Baller #17
RIP Dan Donlon

Berlin Baller #17 plays in the USPL
Berlin Baller #17 plays in the PSP
Berlin Baller #17 donated to help Peyton Trent
Berlin Baller #17 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAMedia View Post
I see this being something still better then PSP because they charge way too much for people to film or take pics.

$40 bucks to me is fine to pay. Cant wait for my first event in Chicago
cant wait for the next event. cant wait to test my new camera
Berlin Baller #17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM #17
mwlostjedi

mwlostjedi is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Gentelman

Lets be professional.
I am looking forward to hearing more information on this program. I have been covering NPPL events since 2005 and have always felt welcome. As for paying $40 (less than 50% of what the PSP charges) I do not feel like this is out of line at all.

I hope that the acceptance criteria is a bit tighter than in the past few events to limit the number of photographers on the sidelines. This would allow for the photographers and the refs to have plenty of room to work. Please do not make the $40 fee to end up becoming an opportunity for someone to be on the field versus sitting in the stands just because they have a camera and a smugmug or flicker "website" and call themselves media.

Covering a national paintball tournament like the NPPL is not where photographers should start off, it should be a right earned. Placing an unexperianced photographer on the field that you have never heard of could resualt in someone who could interfere with the games or even worse allow for cheating. I would be happy to offer a hand handling this if need be.

Being that there is no forum or opportunity to discuss this elsewhere I would like to request a media tent like there used to be.

Michael Wise
Chrono300.com
Michael@chrono300.com
Old 03-18-2011, 10:33 AM #18
mwlostjedi

By the way after looking at the work of everyone who has posted here I would only personally approve three photographers including myself. Media Pass is for media as in people covering the event to spread the news or event. What I am seeing from PB King for example is a "photographer" looking to solely run a business on the sidelines of an NPPL event and not really out to promote the sport of paintball. I have nothing against photographers making money shooting events, but it should be a two way street in the least. A photographer should be able to make money but they need to be part of something promoting the sport or they are a simply taking up valuable space on the sidelines to run a business, what does the NPPL get from that besides $40?

Keep in mind the NPPL charges a lot of money to the vendors to run a business at the event, maybe they should charge the photographers that are solely there to run a business the same as they do for a vendor tent. Only then will they rid the sidelines of people that should not be there.

Ask yourself one question, do you think the NFL or MLB would allow for anything like this to go on? The NPPL is a professional league right? Why not treat the sidelines the same?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM #19
mercui2y
Pew! Pew!

mercui2y owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
mercui2y owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Im not trying to start a fight here, I like some of the points you have.
But you are not being very fair at the same time, I for one spend lots of money on my gear and spend lots of time taking photos for teams who don't have "MEDIA" photographers taking pictures of an event they don't think is important. What about people like me who just take photos because we love the art, I don't sell my photos and I never plan on doing so. If you cant afford your hobby get a new hobby. And your comment about the Smugmug and flicker, I have a smugmug so do a vast range of photographers. I dont think a Joomla site or wordpress theme make you any better because you replace logos with your own.

Like I said not trying fight here just telling you how i see it from my point of view. Just like the game, do a rank system, Pro gets you field, simi pro gets you field access twice.....etc.

-Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlostjedi View Post
I am looking forward to hearing more information on this program. I have been covering NPPL events since 2005 and have always felt welcome. As for paying $40 (less than 50% of what the PSP charges) I do not feel like this is out of line at all.

I hope that the acceptance criteria is a bit tighter than in the past few events to limit the number of photographers on the sidelines. This would allow for the photographers and the refs to have plenty of room to work. Please do not make the $40 fee to end up becoming an opportunity for someone to be on the field versus sitting in the stands just because they have a camera and a smugmug or flicker "website" and call themselves media.

Covering a national paintball tournament like the NPPL is not where photographers should start off, it should be a right earned. Placing an unexperianced photographer on the field that you have never heard of could resualt in someone who could interfere with the games or even worse allow for cheating. I would be happy to offer a hand handling this if need be.

Being that there is no forum or opportunity to discuss this elsewhere I would like to request a media tent like there used to be.

Michael Wise
Chrono300.com
Michael@chrono300.com
mercui2y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 AM #20
mwlostjedi

Leo I understand where you are coming from 100%. I was where you are in 2004 just wanting to shoot the sport I love and take photos of my friends. Back then there was no way in the world I would or could get a "media pass" to an NPPL event, so I started chrono300. I worked my way up shooting hundreds of local events and practices before I was approved for my first pass. In fact it was guys like Gary Baum and myself that made it easier for Internet based media outlets to get on the paintball fields with the NPPL.

I was not bashing smugmug (look at www.chrono300/smugmug.com ) or Flickr (user name MichaelWise2) I am saying that that does not make you a media person. I am a professional painball photographer not a hobiest as you stated you and many others are. Hobiest is a person shooting casually, do you think the NFL should or would allow a hobiest a media pass because the photographer love the sport of paintball?

I am not bashing or trying to be mean, not everyone should be allowed passes. If you are serious work your way up or join a larger media outlet that is proven and earn your way on to an NPPL field. D4 is not local tournament Serries under the NPPL banner, it should be treated no different than a pro game. Try and shoot a NASCAR event on Friday and shoot the rookies driving the pick-up trucks they won't change the rules for anyone just because it is a lower division.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:44 AM #21
ionshooter93
✈ ✈ ✈

ionshooter93 is a Paintball photographer
With this $40 fee in place will there be any extra benefits for media? Maybe a Tent with some AC, Drinks, Snacks, and some tables with power so we can dump our cards during the day and cool off?
ionshooter93 is offline   Reply With Quote