Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM #1
Twiddle

has been a member for 10 years
Chicago Reffing

Last year I made this thread about NPPL refs:
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...976&highlight=

This event the reffing quality was embarrassing, you could have picked kids off the street to do a better job.

I know reffing is a thankless job but this was bad for all divisions - I'm sure there were a few good refs (Nonnie) but the majority looked like they've never even seen a field before.

Last edited by Twiddle : 05-21-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Twiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM #2
Whofi Gwan

reffing was so terrible
Whofi Gwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 AM #3
Anonymousballer21

What sucks is one of my team members got a penalty(D3 7man) he got clipped in the head with the green redemption paint (i took one off the mask and it didn't break) as he called the ref over for a paint check the ref called a penalty.........that was friday, saturday when we got to the field one of the NPPL officials that walks around and takes care of everything if anything goes wrong came up to us and said that he had talk to that ref that made that call and the ref that made that calls exact words were "I wish i could have that call back because it wasn't a penalty........."
#1 Jim Abuhl Fan
Anonymousballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 AM #4
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna plays in the PSP
1000rrstunna has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
field two was not very good.... i mean its water under the bridge now but there were people coaching the other team while we were playing and they didnt do anything about that... lighthing up the net got them to step back though.....
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM #5
1000rrstunna

1000rrstunna plays in the PSP
1000rrstunna has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymousballer21 View Post
What sucks is one of my team members got a penalty(D3 7man) he got clipped in the head with the green redemption paint (i took one off the mask and it didn't break) as he called the ref over for a paint check the ref called a penalty.........that was friday, saturday when we got to the field one of the NPPL officials that walks around and takes care of everything if anything goes wrong came up to us and said that he had talk to that ref that made that call and the ref that made that calls exact words were "I wish i could have that call back because it wasn't a penalty........."
ha same thing happened to us on field two as well asks for a paint check then gets a flag...
Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 AM #6
suzukikid2112

suzukikid2112 plays in the PSP
suzukikid2112 donated to help Peyton Trent
suzukikid2112 is an NCPA player
suzukikid2112 plays in the APPA D4 division
They were throwing penalties when someone with a hit that they couldn't see asked for a check. Like on the back shoulder
suzukikid2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM #7
vanish4life

dude shut up, from what I hear you say at events you have very little tournament experience if any thus you being a DJ and not a player. The reffing was terrible, some of the reffs were being "taught" how to ref during our practice out there 2 weeks prior to the event and in that 2 weeks little if any usable knowledge was obtained. Just because people that podiumed aren't complaining doesn't mean that eveyone is making excuses. You having this know it all attitude only shows how little you know. And as far as a business goes when teams (customers) aren't given the experience that the cost of an NPPL tournament should provide they in turn deserve to lose said customers.
vanish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 AM #8
ThizZ
Twisted D3-SD Pirates

ThizZ supports Shocker RSX
blah blah blah.
Do you know how hard it is to ref a national event?
Plus if you are hit in the mask,shoulder,arm,leg then its an obvious hit. (If you call for a paint check for an obvious hit then you can expect to get a penalty pulled) Read the rulebook before you start to complain.
ThizZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM #9
AFP
AFP

AFP owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm RickJames View Post
Jesus here we go...

It seems odd to me that the winners never complain about the reffing. Out of approx 1000 players at each event only about 250 of them place 1st-3rd. The remaining 750 are left looking for excuses.

It's the same in any sport though...

Great job by the refs. I wouldn't want that job. They work 12 hour days in the sun and get pelted with paintballs all day. What do they get for their hard work? Berated and yelled at by sore losers.
I hate hearing people at national events complain about the reffing. I think to myself every time I hear it, complaining about reffing is so lame.

Having said that, I've played EVERY NPPL event since 2004 and the reffing on field 2 was sooooo bad. It's all due to inexperience and I really don't blame the refs. I blame the man and league that certified these refs, gave them a "pro ref" jersey with their own number on it, and allowed them to judge games that were costing teams around $400/game to play.

I know when you pay your entry fee all you're getting is an opportunity but the NPPL should have much higher standards for the product they are selling. I really believe they do have those standards but they aren't holding them, and I think they would agree with all I've said.

By the way, if anyone in the NPPL that matters reads this and would like to get in touch with me, I'm Alex Poorman and should be fairly easy for you to reach.

WARPED SPORTZ ADVENTURE PARK
AFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM #10
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

You can have all the standards you want, actually vetting and enforcing them is another story.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 PM #11
vanish4life

^^says hilarious but says nothing proving a single point of mine wrong^^ the fact you need to DJ paintball tournaments to pay bills is hilarious my friend. with your top 40 hits playin a**, ryan seacrest is a better DJ and probably knows more about the game
Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 PM #12
Mrglass6919

Mrglass6919 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Mrglass6919 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Jesus here we go...

It seems odd to me that the winners never complain about the reffing. Out of approx 1000 players at each event only about 250 of them place 1st-3rd. The remaining 750 are left looking for excuses.

It's the same in any sport though...

Great job by the refs. I wouldn't want that job. They work 12 hour days in the sun and get pelted with paintballs all day. What do they get for their hard work? Berated and yelled at by sore losers.
I podiumed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I hate hearing people at national events complain about the reffing. I think to myself every time I hear it, complaining about reffing is so lame.

Having said that, I've played EVERY NPPL event since 2004 and the reffing on field 2 was sooooo bad. It's all due to inexperience and I really don't blame the refs. I blame the man and league that certified these refs, gave them a "pro ref" jersey with their own number on it, and allowed them to judge games that were costing teams around $400/game to play.

I know when you pay your entry fee all you're getting is an opportunity but the NPPL should have much higher standards for the product they are selling. I really believe they do have those standards but they aren't holding them, and I think they would agree with all I've said.

By the way, if anyone in the NPPL that matters reads this and would like to get in touch with me, I'm Alex Poorman and should be fairly easy for you to reach.
I also agree with this guy, I dont blame the refs one bit.... Whoever is deciding if these guys are ready or not should be the one to blame....

Also,
the Virtue Chrono ref on the D side of field two did NOT pick very opportune times to decide to check for a fast gun! Check it before the game(like in HB but wasnt ever checked in Chicago) and after if you feel someone is shooting too fast! When you affect my gameplay with an object, I do not like!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:19 PM #13
I'm RickJames
DJ/MC for the NPPL

I'm RickJames supports Pev's Paintball
I'm RickJames plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrglass6919 View Post
I podiumed...
Congrats

Good luck in DC

Follow me on IG- @SportsVoice23

Proudly representing... PEV'S PAINTBALL, EMPIRE PAINTBALL, KEE ACTION SPORTS and BOB LONG
I'm RickJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:57 PM #14
AFP
AFP

AFP owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
I have been involved in many different sports over the years as a player and a coach.

I have been a part of quite a few sports teams as a player, assistant coach and head coach and have played tournament paintball since 2005, captained 3 X-ball teams and owned my own team at one point. The one thing I've learned in all of my sports experience is that refs are only human and are just as prone to making mistakes as anyone else. I have an extremely hard time believing that anyone puts on a refs jersey and makes up their mind to deliberately miss calls or make bad ones.

Don't get me wrong, it frustrates the hell out of me when I'm on the receiving end a bad call but I know that complaining about it and getting upset isn't going to make the ref reverse the call so I move on and tell my team that next time we won't leave it in the hands of the refs.
I did, in my post, say straight up that i don't blame the refs on the field and of course I don't believe they were making bad calls deliberately. What I'm saying is that those refs are not capable of making good or bad calls and that the NPPL knew that going in, and know that right now.

I do understand you defending the league that supports you as a dj but there's also the point that you were up in your booth watching field 1 the entire event. Not field 2 where the refs really should not have been on the field. I know refs are human, but can't we as customers if nothing else expect that these humans know how to ref experienced tournament paintball before they're "certified"

The only other thing I want to say is, find any of the awesome refs that feel like this league did them wrong this season (pretty much all of the pro refs from last season) and they'll tell you I'm a straight up guy, I loved them when I was winning and losing. I always tell them thank you and treated them with respect. But it was easy to, they worked hard and knew how to ref.

This bugs me most because like I said earlier, I've played every NPPL since 2004 short of the last two because I'm recovering from a partial hepatectomy. And I will continue to play NPPL because I do love the league and the 7 man game. I am as loyal as they come and feel like I've proved that over the last 8 years but the NPPL will just roll their eyes at this like I'm just a 13 year old d4 complainer that holds no merit. This is real, and if this is what I should expect, I'll quit wasting my money, time, and mental health.

WARPED SPORTZ ADVENTURE PARK
AFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:59 PM #15
deer_gore

deer_gore owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
deer_gore has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
I'll stop replying to your immature post now... Instead I would suggest that at the next event you come and introduce yourself instead of bashing me on the internet. I'm kinda hard to miss, 6'3" 250 lbs, microphone in my hand probably saying something stupid since I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about and the other hand on the play button about to play another horrible song.
Got a tuff guy here.....watch out fellas.
Curtis Long #17
Fort Drum, NY
Highroller team Captain
OIF/OEF Veteran

Purple/Gold (Regal) EGO 11, Black/Gold Luxe 1.5, Red/White (Vampire) DM 12

Not playing for www.ultimatepaintball.com because they stop answering when its time to fulfill their end of the sponsorship.....-_-
deer_gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM #16
smartin89
slksht

smartin89 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
smartin89 is an NCPA player
smartin89 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by deer_gore View Post
Got a tuff guy here.....watch out fellas.
Are you really trolling him for being willing to meet someone in person rather than trade petty insults on a forum? Sad.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 PM #17
vanish4life

well first of all your size doesn't mean anything, and secondly how does it look when somebody employed by the NPPL tries to take any credibility away from the paying customers that may have legitimate concerns or issues? And if you stuck up for the incompetence of the reffing quality in front of me I would tell you how dumb you are to your face as well
Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM #18
LU_aDaK
Brindle T2 & Resurrection

I did hear a lot of complaints, especially from a few D3 teams, but PERSONALLY - I can say the officials/judges did an exceptional job in the NPPL Pump Event Saturday night. Flawless? No, but flawless officiating is not realistic, PERIOD. Did they work their ***** off? Yes, and for that we thank you.

Maybe it is just because training and supervising officials is my full time job, (non-paintball officiating) but I have a completely different perspective than most. The game speed is lightning fast, and often times - guess what - THEY ARE ACTUALLY RIGHT. The fact is player adrenaline levels cause them to think irrationally and often times see with their emotions. Add to it that it is always easier to blame someone else for a loss.

Instead I might suggest owning up for your own errors, realize you likely did not see it 100% correctly, your emotions and adrenaline are causing you to be irrationally biased and for the love of God please realize the officials cannot see every angle at the same time, nor can they see instances develop from your exact perspective.

A Special thank you to the officials and judges for working your ***** off, especially in that heat, and of course putting up with all the complaints.

- CPX Ambition

LU_aDaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:57 PM #19
savage187

savage187 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
savage187 plays in the APPA D2 division
I also placed in this event. Being a paintball referee is an extremely hard job and I know that first hand. However there were quite a few refs that had no business on a local tournament field let alone a national event field.
As much as it sucks cheating has became part of the game, some players will get away with cheating and some honest players will get bad calls, thats life and theres not much we can do about it. However refs knowing the rule book is something that should not be looked over.
I seen players off false starts shoot down field and re-tag up with no call from the ref standing 3 feet away.
I seen a ref help a player put his mask on after it fell off let him continue to play. Missed calls are one thing, but there should be no excuse for not knowing standard rules.

I really enjoy the 7 man format and what the NPPL is trying to do, I just hope these problems are not being over looked.
savage187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:01 PM #20
I'm RickJames
DJ/MC for the NPPL

I'm RickJames supports Pev's Paintball
I'm RickJames plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I do understand you defending the league that supports you as a dj but there's also the point that you were up in your booth watching field 1 the entire event. Not field 2 where the refs really should not have been on the field. I know refs are human, but can't we as customers if nothing else expect that these humans know how to ref experienced tournament paintball before they're "certified"
Good point... I didn't see much of field 2 except for the few times I walked over during a field 1 break.

Follow me on IG- @SportsVoice23

Proudly representing... PEV'S PAINTBALL, EMPIRE PAINTBALL, KEE ACTION SPORTS and BOB LONG
I'm RickJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM #21
robs45
Big Man

robs45 donated to help Peyton Trent
robs45 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
robs45 is Immortal
robs45 supports DLX Technology
robs45 supports DLX Technology
There were a few inexperienced refs on the pro field too. They were making some bad calls. Tony or who ever was in charge moved them to different spots, so as to not affect the game outcome on Saturday. Also on Saturday, I am 99% sure it was Fish who reffed pro field at PSP for years, going around and talking to the refs on the field about calls. That in itself is what should be done more, having highly experienced refs like him bird dogging and helping out those newer refs. Plus the head ref needs more balls to enforce and lead by experience on the field. Not what I saw at all.