PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 PM #1
Rapier7
Smarter than you

has been a member for 10 years
Chicago Teachers Union Strike

Chicago teachers get paid, on average, over 74k per year. Over half the CPS operational budget is dedicated to salaries and benefits for CPS employees and the per pupil spending is just over 13k, which makes it the most expensive public school system in the country (after New York and DC).

Source: Chicago Public Schools

They're being offered a guaranteed raise of 16% over 4 years and they rejected it because they're concerned about teacher accountability.

That is an act of true cowardice. I hope the Chicago Teachers Union gets everything that's coming to them. This is why government employees shouldn't be allowed to collectively bargain. They enrich themselves and select politicians at the expense of the public.
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 PM #2
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

tsbalr120 plays in the MiLP
tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
If CPS had any balls they'll pull a Reagen and fire them all like he did with the Air Traffic controllers. The last stats I've seen chicago students grades and ACT scores were beyond a failure. Why reward them for sucking at their job? It's bull****. Teacher Unions need to go.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 PM #3
F1VENOM

The teachers average $74k a year or does that figure include the administration?
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 PM #4
Rapier7
Smarter than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
The teachers average $74k a year or does that figure include the administration?
No, their average salary is 120659 per year. Please refer to the link.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 PM #5
LOL Renegade

**** unions. Teachers don't do **** and then ***** when they don't get paid like doctors. Arrest them all and fire them on the spot.
LOL Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM #6
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapier7 View Post
No, their average salary is 120659 per year. Please refer to the link.
That's a pretty fair wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL Renegade View Post
**** unions. Teachers don't do **** and then ***** when they don't get paid like doctors. Arrest them all and fire them on the spot.
The fact that you can read means more than a few teachers did a lot of ****.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 PM #7
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL Renegade View Post

From what I understand there are over 80 million people in the country with no job.

Fire the union bastards and give some other people a chance.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 PM #8
Swerve22

Quote:
Guess what, I learned to read and speak two other languages without help from any teachers at all. So tell me why it's so hard to teach native English speakers to read again?

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 PM #9
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post

From what I understand there are over 80 million people in the country with no job.

Fire the union bastards and give some other people a chance.
Yeah, that'd turn out swell. Under-qualified teachers are already a huge problem, let's make it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Guess what, I learned to read and speak two other languages without help from any teachers at all. So tell me why it's so hard to teach native English speakers to read again?
Mmmhmm, you learned as a child from your parents?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 PM #10
Blake360

Quote:

What if he was homeschooled?
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 PM #11
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
What if he was homeschooled?
Guess who taught his parents and the person who wrote the books they based their curriculum off of?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 PM #12
Blake360

Quote:
Guess who taught his parents and the person who wrote the books they based their curriculum off of?
What if they were homeschooled?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 PM #13
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
What if they were homeschooled?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 PM #14
Blake360

I'm pretty sure language was invented before there were ever teachers, which means you don't need teachers to learn how to read.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 PM #15
F1VENOM

I think you mean professional educators and they've been around in some form for as long as we have had recorded knowledge.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 PM #16
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
Real quick - the Chicago teachers complain that the higher standards they are being asked to be held to, is unfair due to horrible living conditions and unrealistic to make kids learn when their parents are high on crack 5 days a week.

Possibly a fair statement, but those people can NOT ask for more money. They make a **** ton in comparison to other teachers. Chicago should ask LA or Detroit how they cope. Perhaps the answer is to make higher evaluation standards, but take a few years to implement fully, not the one year they wanted to implement the plan.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 PM #17
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

tsbalr120 plays in the MiLP
tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
Holy **** blake you're getting worse than shakey.

We need teachers. Don't even try to argue we don't.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:13 PM #18
Rapier7
Smarter than you

Quote:
That's a pretty fair wage.
Fair? I say overpaid. 95% of working Americans make less than that. And I don't think school administrators' jobs are especially hard to do.

Quote:
I think you mean professional educators and they've been around in some form for as long as we have had recorded knowledge.
Doesn't mean they aren't overpaid. Education is always the biggest line item in a local or state government's budget. And our students aren't getting any smarter even as the education budget rises consistently above inflation.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 PM #19
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Merit-based teacher compensation in general is to be opposed. There is no objective means of measuring teacher merit.

These salaries aren't appalling in the least. It's sad that people have forgotten what middle-class professional salaries look like.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 PM #20
F1VENOM

Quote:
Fair? I say overpaid. 95% of working Americans make less than that. And I don't think school administrators' jobs are especially hard to do.
Can you back that statistic up? I agree that admins are grossly overpaid.

Quote:
Doesn't mean they aren't overpaid. Education is always the biggest line item in a local or state government's budget. And our students aren't getting any smarter even as the education budget rises consistently above inflation.
Do you think reducing teacher pay is going to increase the quality of teaching professionals and increase student test scores?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 PM #21
Blake360

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbalr120 View Post
Holy **** blake you're getting worse than shakey.

We need teachers. Don't even try to argue we don't.
When did I say we don't?