Old 09-24-2008, 09:58 PM #22
JackH (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic_glock9 View Post
Ok thanks. This is something I will definitely think about and run by my parents in the next few weeks. What would be the process for doing this?

Edit: I'm on here going back and forth with you guys when I should be typing up a philosophy paper. Looks like I'll be up a couple more hours tonight.
Meh I wouldn't know I'm in the Army, one of these marines outta be able to help ya out though
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2008, 10:20 PM #23
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
if you join the reserves it'll open you up to the GI bill if you do a 6 year contract with the reserves. Then once you're done with school you just go to OCC and you can switch to active or choose to stay with your unit in the reserves.

All you have to do is join the USMC Reserves via a recruiter and tell him you want to go to OCC when you're done with college and they'll put that in your contract and if you want to be infantry then I suggest opting for an 03 MOS when you're a reservist. When you're done with college and OCC/OCS you'll get the option for ground/air and if you choose ground officer Inf. then your MOS would be 0329 I do believe.

I am in the USMCR.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic

Last edited by justavillain : 09-24-2008 at 10:22 PM.
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 PM #24
ic_glock9

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post
if you join the reserves it'll open you up to the GI bill if you do a 6 year contract with the reserves. Then once you're done with school you just go to OCC and you can switch to active or choose to stay with your unit in the reserves.

All you have to do is join the USMC Reserves via a recruiter and tell him you want to go to OCC when you're done with college and they'll put that in your contract and if you want to be infantry then I suggest opting for an 03 MOS when you're a reservist. When you're done with college and OCC/OCS you'll get the option for ground/air and if you choose ground officer Inf. then your MOS would be 0329 I do believe.

I am in the USMCR.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I feel this would be my best option. What are the odds that in joining the USMCR I will get deployed and finishing college will be postponed?
ic_glock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 PM #25
JackH (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic_glock9 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info. I feel this would be my best option. What are the odds that in joining the USMCR I will get deployed and finishing college will be postponed?
Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm not a Marine, but when I was in college I was still in the NG and was considered and "undeployable asset"
Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 PM #26
Aero$mitty
Ef. Em. El.

Talk to a recruiter. Along with signing bonuses and such, if you've already graduated from college, they will pay of part, if not all of your student loans. Again, a recruiter will know more specifics, but the Army does have those bonuses.

Also, pretty sure it hasn't changed (it hadn't in 04 when I got out), but if you have a 4 year degree and you enlist, you come in as an E4 in the Army. Had two guys in my basic training platoon that were E4's, and they got that because they had degrees. Kept in contact with one of them, and he applied for OCS right out of basic. Took a while, but got accepted and is now an officer.
When in after times I died.
PSN: BLUNT_TRAUMA_117
Aero$mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:46 AM #27
Eric99BL

Eric99BL is a Professional paintball player
If you want to go in and Kill People and let someone else clean it up ..IE Army join the Marines.. that's how its suppose to work but not now, we tried to do it in Afghanistan without great success.. Marines are not meant to be a occupying force, we aren't meant to do security patrols we are suppose to Invade Citys, Fallujha, Najaf, Nasayriah, and So on

and Scout Sniper is a MOS In the Marines.. I think it may be 0321 but im not to sure

Obviously I'm going to say Marines have the best Infantry

Last edited by Eric99BL : 09-25-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Eric99BL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:01 AM #28
Cap_Insanity
Keeping it Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric99BL View Post

and Scout Sniper is a MOS In the Marines.. I think it may be 0321 but im not to sure
I think I can help you out a little here.

0321 is a reconman in the USMC
Scout snipers MOS is 0317, formerly 8541

In the army the scout sniper is a billet given to any job "i dont know the armys term for mos" typically in the infantry.

Last edited by Cap_Insanity : 09-25-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Cap_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:48 AM #29
justavillain
I've got nothing

in the reserves if you're in college you can still be deployed but if you're no **** about 4 days away from going to OCC you might not have to go on the deployment but I suggest you do unless you're going to an AD unit then it doesn't matter as much but I still suggest going.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Old 09-25-2008, 07:13 AM #30
Nalayah

If it's of any help to compare benefits, here's what my contract looked like for the USAR, I'm a 68W (Combat Medic).

GI Bill + Kicker
$20,000 signup bonus
$20,000 student loan repayment*

I get the $20k in installments, $10k after AIT (Job training), $5k at the two year mark of my time, and another $5k at the four year mark.

I know you can waive a benefit (I believe the signup bonus) in the USAR to be considered non-deployable while in college for two or four years. Though you'd have to call a recruiter.

Best thing to do is call up the recruiters of the branches you're interested in, get the info, and ask about it here so the **** can be picked through.

1978 Suzuki GS750
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4
Nalayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 AM #31
j-easy

since your already in college you could always join rotc, they will give you a scholarship if your a decent student. and a monthly stipend once your contracted. this is what im doing and it seems like a pretty good way to go about earning your commission.
j-easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 AM #32
justavillain
I've got nothing

for ROTC though don't you have to start as a freshmen and go all 4 years?

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Old 09-25-2008, 02:09 PM #33
j-easy

we'll i don't know how the army does it but im in AFROTC and a ton of people come in as sophomores, juniors, etc., all they really care about is if you have 3 years of college left, which can include graduate school or a second major or anything as long as your are in college full time and will have a B.A. by the time you need to commission.
j-easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM #34
Eric99BL

Call a recruiter, Just make sure you get everything in writing.. know what your signing
Old 09-25-2008, 03:45 PM #35
Aero$mitty
Ef. Em. El.

Quote:
If you want to go in and Kill People and let someone else clean it up ..IE Army join the Marines.. that's how its suppose to work but not now, we tried to do it in Afghanistan without great success.. Marines are not meant to be a occupying force, we aren't meant to do security patrols we are suppose to Invade Citys, Fallujha, Najaf, Nasayriah, and So on
ahh, such ignorance.
When in after times I died.
PSN: BLUNT_TRAUMA_117
Aero$mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 PM #36
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Yeah, thanks for the outright insult You are 'meant' to do whatever the mission calls for, and so are we. Sorry if we're 'cramping your style' by doing our jobs...
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 PM #37
Eric99BL

Ignorance? Thats whats the Marine corp is, sorry call uncle sam ignorant.. We aren't meant to be a occupying force.. yeah and obviously.. I said today our mission is whatever needed but traditionally we are suppose to go in and pull out.. USMC as a hole is just to small and under funded to
Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 PM #38
JackH (Banned)

Quote:
Ignorance? Thats whats the Marine corp is, sorry call uncle sam ignorant.. We aren't meant to be a occupying force.. yeah and obviously.. I said today our mission is whatever needed but traditionally we are suppose to go in and pull out.. USMC as a hole is just to small and under funded to
WOW.

Are you even a marine, honestly?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 PM #39
Eric99BL

Yes.. Actually, I'm not saying Marines have a bigger dick than any other service.. Stop getting so defensive, all I was saying traditionally Marines are not meant to be a occupying force.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 PM #40
JackH (Banned)

Quote:
Yes.. Actually, I'm not saying Marines have a bigger dick than any other service.. Stop getting so defensive, all I was saying traditionally Marines are not meant to be a occupying force.
Wow, go read a history book.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:11 PM #41
justavillain
I've got nothing

he's right our role is suppose be a push and leave force, protection for naval ships and an amphibious force.

If you really look at our history until WW1 there really wasn't more then about 10,000 Marines. When you have a full force strength that is about 1/5 of the Army's it shows what we can do to occupy a place.

USMC = apx 195,000 troops
Army = apx 1,050,000 troops

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic

Last edited by justavillain : 09-25-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:32 AM #42
Eric99BL

Look at how many Marines there are and look how many soldiers there are... why do you think when you see a lot more deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan its all soldiers... because you have a lot more troops deployed.. Theirs what? like 200,000 Active Duty Marines... and how many soldiers? a million? We don't have enough man power to occupy...

Read a History book? what conflict did we Marines invade and control... enlighten me...

Last edited by Eric99BL : 09-26-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Eric99BL is offline   Reply With Quote