PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 AM #547
LordOdin99

has been a member for 10 years
LordOdin99 posts videos on PbNation
I have a question:

Why was the test compared at the breach? Why not at the end of the barrel, where every ball is supposed to have the velocity? At the breach, you have higher FPS for longer barrels than shorter barrels and it has extra inches due to the length of the barrel.

Maybe it's just me but isn't the test about what variables affect a ball's grouping? I would think that would mean that keeping the ball's traveling distance the same would have been critical to the test.
LordOdin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2008, 01:52 PM #548
Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOdin99 View Post
I have a question:

Why was the test compared at the breach? Why not at the end of the barrel, where every ball is supposed to have the velocity? At the breach, you have higher FPS for longer barrels than shorter barrels and it has extra inches due to the length of the barrel.

Maybe it's just me but isn't the test about what variables affect a ball's grouping? I would think that would mean that keeping the ball's traveling distance the same would have been critical to the test.
The distance to the target was measured from the breech.

The velocity was measured at the end of the barrel.

In a "real life" situation the velocity is always measured at the end of the barrel, and measuring a distance from the breech of a marker will be the same regardless of what barrel you use. (if we measured the distance from the end of the barrel to the target the target would have to be moved (or the marker))

All of the balls traveled the same distance. From the breech of the marker to the target. (I am calling the breech the feedneck.) Neither the marker or target were moved throughout the test.

My pm box is full again ?!? THEN EMAIL ME.
Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 PM #549
LordOdin99

LordOdin99 posts videos on PbNation
By measuring from the breech instead, aren't longer barrels traveling less through the air? I would assume that would create a tighter grouping. Let's use a simple, exagerrated comparison as an example. Using the breech as the distance marker, if you tested a 69ft barrel exiting at 280fps, it would be considered the best barrel, right? I thought the comparison was about how barrels affect a ball's trajectory; not the best way to get from point A to point B, which is obviously a tube covering the entire distance.

Have you thought about putting the mount onto an adjustable platform to accomodate for the barrel length differences?

Last edited by LordOdin99 : 04-26-2008 at 10:08 PM.
LordOdin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:33 PM #550
Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOdin99 View Post
By measuring from the breech instead, aren't longer barrels traveling less through the air?
yes. the difference between the short and long barrels was 6". their groupings were similar. barrel length does affect accuracy (between 10-16" at least).

Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 PM #551
jcw122
Proud 'Cocker Owner

jcw122 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Wow I can't believe this has been going on so long, that's dedication man!
jcw122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:38 PM #552
IHateEmoKids

couple things
can you test regs in the same fashion?
can you test shooting with just the back and no front on for a comparison?
can you test a Furious Lotus barrel?(new barrel)
IHateEmoKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:35 PM #553
deusen

deusen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jw of there was any final data yet that could be dl on to excel yet?
deusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:48 AM #554
rusty79

As much as i would like to get a longbow kit its way out of my price range. Has a winner of preferably sub 100$ kits been determined? I tried looking through the charts and everything but its making my head swim, I'm considering a j&j edge kit, a freak jr kit, a redz pepper stik kit, and an evil pipe kit. Any help would be appreaciated thanks!
rusty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 AM #555
YouGotSmoked

Applying a Tippmann X7 Marker to this Barrel Test

This question is for Mann or anyone else who is knowledgeable enough to speak to it.

I have a Tippmann X7 and my friend told me that this test was performed using a speedball gun which operates differently than my X7 (something about how the front bolt operates - although i could be wrong). After my own analysis of the test results, I wanted to go with a Ti Longbow barrel but he recommended against it for my marker.

Is there any truth to my friend's comments that if this test was performed with a marker that operated like a X7/A5 as opposed to a speedball gun, the results COULD be completely different?

As a side note, I decided to consider getting a Lapco Snapshot or a Freak back/AA Front for my X7. What you guys think about those vs a Ti Longbow for my X7?

One last question...I see that barrel manufacturers put all this time and effort to get their barrels as smooth and seamless as possible through honing processes, etc. But then I started thinking, wouldn't the barrels that use inserts mess with that whole idea? Just a thought, I could be totally wrong. what do you guys think?

THANKS!
YouGotSmoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:32 PM #556
Mann

smoked: smack your friend in the head.

I am not sure how to classify an xmag. It is a marker that is ~6years old, but still has cutting edge technology (although what really has changed in paintball over the past 6 years other than milling designs). What your friend is probally talking about is lp/hp markers. IMO a marker is nothing more than a valve. It is something to release air to allow a pressure tob be released, and a force to be placed on the ball. I know that some people claim they can get their markers to shoot farther/more accurate than other markers. Unfortunately they cannot prove it, and physics can disprove it.

I use a ti longbow on my 98 (the original 98 that came out in 1998.)

Old 06-11-2008, 05:41 PM #557
Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateEmoKids View Post
couple things
can you test regs in the same fashion?
can you test shooting with just the back and no front on for a comparison?
can you test a Furious Lotus barrel?(new barrel)
hmmm. i guess my subscription is not working as I didnt get any of theses postings.

test regs? how? airflow?

I did shoot without the front on some of the. not sure if I posted data or not

furious lotus? never heard of them. If you have on in AC threads I can.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:16 PM #558
LU_aDaK
Brindle T2 & Resurrection

Did you notice any difference with the reballs and the rifled barrels? I understand the lack of advantage when using a paintball, but being that reballs are solid, I am interested to see if a tight bore and rifling would impact them...

LU_aDaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:22 AM #559
Heimdall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann View Post
hmmm. i guess my subscription is not working as I didnt get any of theses postings.

test regs? how? airflow?

I did shoot without the front on some of the. not sure if I posted data or not

furious lotus? never heard of them. If you have on in AC threads I can.
You could test regs both by recharge times and shot consistency.
Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 PM #560
dude1987

Any chance you might finish posting the accuracy data soon? Really incredible test. I am shocked that someone was crazy enough to do this. I don't even have time to read it all.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:02 PM #561
Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1987 View Post
Any chance you might finish posting the accuracy data soon? Really incredible test. I am shocked that someone was crazy enough to do this. I don't even have time to read it all.
as much as I would like to say yes....probally not. I am working on my own website (to post all the data), and also working on building my own marker. If all goes well I will a prototype built in the next week or so, and will get back to working on the website.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:32 PM #562
Hellacious D

Hellacious D is a Supporting Member
Wow, that'd be really cool to see your prototype. I was wondering why the barrel back size used for marballizer varied so much throughout your tests. Did different batches of marballizer vary that much, or did you just not have all the barrel backs necessary to match with the paint?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:56 PM #563
Barky TP
****513****

Barky TP supports Cereal Killerz 2
Barky TP posts videos on PbNation
Barky TP is an NCPA player
Barky TP plays in the APPA D5 division
very useful stuff read the entire thing
Barky TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 PM #564
d0ntell

Just got back into paintball after a 5 year layoff. I was looking for barrel information for one of my co-workers and ran across this thread.

I'm all smiles after reading it because last week when I pulled out my box of paintball gear my old faithful barrel nobody knew anything about (back in 2002) was still there in it's little canvas bag. I've still got the original Sceptor that I purchased in 2002! It was always nice with my Timmy and Matrix's but it shoots VERY nice on my new EGO.
d0ntell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 AM #565
MisterVo

I love this thread... it's so detailed and complete with a ship load of info. Thanks to you and the testing crew for doing this data research. This thread is very much appreciated....
MisterVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM #566
living weapon

so what is the best barrel I have a dp fusion f8
I have used it for a wile but it is lacking in a good barrel
so I'm going to get a new barrel for it what should I get
I have looked at so many and I can't make up my mind
I am looking for a lite barrel that pro forms well on the field
I play indoor so I'm looking for 14" and I play back what is the perfect combo
of liteness and accuracy on the market right now
money is not an issue
living weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:30 AM #567
I need a name

I
can
also
talk
this

I reccomend getting the furious lotus barrel, it's extremely accurate and extremely efficient.