Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 PM #1
LeeDowney

Question Why can't you use your own paintballs?

Hey guys. New to the forum. I have a simple question that I have searched this forum and Google but haven't seen a clear answer. I live on about 6 acres and have designated about 1-2 acres of woods for paintball with my buddies and our sons. We have thought about venturing to designated paintball courses that are in our area. All of them state you can't bring your own paintballs. The typical prices I've noticed have been between $15-$18 per 500 balls. This just seems ridiculous when you can buy a decent case of paintballs at Dicks for $35.

I don't mind paying an admission fee and air fees but why can't individuals bring their own paint to courses?

Thanks.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM #2
Zay_48

Because the fields need to make money, so they make you use their paint. Just be glad you dont live in Canada, paint prices here are 120$/case :/
Zay_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM #3
Kbug
Dookie

Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Ninja Paintball
Kbug supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zay_48 View Post
Because the fields need to make money, so they make you use their paint. Just be glad you dont live in Canada, paint prices here are 120$/case :/
Dang! I only spend $60 a case at my field. For the OP's question, that's how fields make their money and stay open. $15 field and and $10 all day air isn't going to keep a field open for very long. I've been to a couple fields that did let you bring your own paint or you could buy their paint but they all had to stop letting people bring their own paint because of douchebags that would sneak monsterballs on to the field.

Last edited by Kbug : 03-23-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM #4
Zay_48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbug View Post
Dang! I only spend $60 a case at my field. For the OP's question, that's how fields make their money and stay open. $15 field and and $10 all day air isn't going to keep a field open for very long. I've been to a couple fields that did let you bring your own paint or you could buy their paint but they all had to stop letting people bring their own paint because of douchebags that would freeze their paintballs or sneak monsterballs (just as bad, if not worse than frozen paintballs) on to the field.
I know, its crazy And its not possible to freeze paintballs man, they just turn really goo-like, they dont actually freeze ;p
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM #5
kyle4236
Pro Dead Box Player

has been a member for 10 years
kyle4236 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
kyle4236 owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Ouch man $120 a case????? That hurts

Gun whore
B'more Punishers
kyle4236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM #6
Kbug
Dookie

Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Ninja Paintball
Kbug supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zay_48 View Post
I know, its crazy And its not possible to freeze paintballs man, they just turn really goo-like, they dont actually freeze ;p
Haha, well they get harder and hurt like **** then
Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM #7
Iowa's#1Stunna
TRAMPLE THE WEAK

Iowa's#1Stunna supports Cereal Killerz 2
Iowa's#1Stunna owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Iowa's#1Stunna plays in the APPA D5 division
Iowa's#1Stunna has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Like many before have said, fields make the majority of their profit off of paint sales. Outside paint can be of better (or more likely lower) quality and have certain staining properties. Some fields have a protected color like many fields in Utah that only use white eco fill. This fill is specially designed to not be harmful to an indoor setting or clothing. Some paintballs example Valken Infinity is oil based, which can harm air bunkers and stain clothing. Paintball fields/stores are a business and they don't make money off of you if you are just using their facility. but the main reason is I believe due to liability issues. The field is responsible for anything that goes on inside their premise.

Official Geo Owner's thread!!

old feedback https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1282792
Iowa's#1Stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM #8
Zay_48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbug View Post
Haha, well they get harder and hurt like **** then
They actually don't, go on youtube and search frozen paintballs :p

And to the other guy, yeah, which is why I can only afford to go once a month
Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 PM #9
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
The field I reffed at you used to be able to bring your own paint, but our insurance company eventually forced us to sell our own paint only after the increase of Monster Ball incidents. Plus, it's also the way a field makes money. We sell our lowest grade paint for $48, mid-grade for $54, and highest grade for $60.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM #10
ibunkerupwnd
it was all for lolz

ibunkerupwnd supports Team VICIOUS
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
its because people like you who think 35 dollars a case is good paint but then its really hard shelled and injures players and wreaks bunkers they also need to ake money
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM #11
Pyrate Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeDowney View Post
Hey guys. New to the forum. I have a simple question that I have searched this forum and Google but haven't seen a clear answer. I live on about 6 acres and have designated about 1-2 acres of woods for paintball with my buddies and our sons. We have thought about venturing to designated paintball courses that are in our area. All of them state you can't bring your own paintballs. The typical prices I've noticed have been between $15-$18 per 500 balls. This just seems ridiculous when you can buy a decent case of paintballs at Dicks for $35.

I don't mind paying an admission fee and air fees but why can't individuals bring their own paint to courses?

Thanks.
3 reasons.
First is Revenue (as already stated). A legitimate field needs to pay for insurance, property taxes, employees, licenses, grounds maintenance...The list seems endless.
The mark-up on paint is one of the few places a field can get money coming in to help pay for it all. Often their primary source, since field fees are negligible.

Second is Safety (also already stated) because a field can not afford to have someone bringing in paint that may have been stored in a freezer or what have you, it's a quality-control issue a field uses to ensure that they are doing what they can to keep things safe & fair.

Which brings us to the third point; Equality. The field can avoid a lot of issues over "who shot who with what kinda paint" if everybody is shooting the same stuff. None of that "it wasn't fair" just because of paint.
I've seen/heard these kind of complaints myself, so I know they happen

So when you go to a real paintball field, remember the owner is trying to keep the game alive & a legitimate sport in the eyes of the public, and you buying paint from him is helping him to do that.
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:05 PM #12
Iowa's#1Stunna
TRAMPLE THE WEAK

Iowa's#1Stunna supports Cereal Killerz 2
Iowa's#1Stunna owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Iowa's#1Stunna plays in the APPA D5 division
Iowa's#1Stunna has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
^^ Great points the 3rd one isn't something I would have even thought about. truth be told I've never been anywhere that allows you to bring your own paint (except tournaments) but those bring complaints of their own lol.

Official Geo Owner's thread!!

old feedback https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1282792
Iowa's#1Stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM #13
thenoob23
Axe+$$

thenoob23 is playing at Living Legends VI
thenoob23 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
thenoob23 supports Team VICIOUS
thenoob23 supports DLX Technology
Dang its 45 a case of graffiti paint at my field.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM #14
PCPaintball.Scott
BALLING SINCE 84'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeDowney View Post

Thanks.
Many of the reasons stated above are completely correct.
Add to this that with all the extra fees comes the added safety most well run fields provide by chrono checking every game or at minimum twice per day as well as refs to insure safe/fair play.

You really get a bargain for the added cost at most fields.

Now if the field just charged more to play they could of course sell the paint for just as much as any local retailer. But of course there is no deterrent to players that shoot way more than most people would be comfortable playing against. So figure that the extra cost of paint also slows down the rate of fire on most players as well. Usually making for a more movement based game rather than a sit and spray tons sorta game.
Phone # 626-391-9706
Store Hours
Tuesday to Saturday-12am to 9pm
Best Deals in Town!***Ask 4 your Discount!!!***
http://www.facebook.com/PCPaintballWC001
PCPaintball.Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM #15
tony_ibunkeryou
29/0/0

tony_ibunkeryou plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tony_ibunkeryou posts videos on PbNation
tony_ibunkeryou plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibunkerupwnd View Post
its because people like you who think 35 dollars a case is good paint but then its really hard shelled and injures players and wreaks bunkers they also need to ake money
if you playing out in the woods your not wrecking bunkers.
tony_ibunkeryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM #16
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Add up the cost of land, utilities, rental fleets, air compressor systems, insurance, bunkers, netting, employee wages, point of sale software, paint, security alarms/cameras, staging area furniture, maintenance equipment, advertisements, and add another $20,000 of unforeseen expenses for good measure. On top of it all, think about how much money you need to make to pay your own rent/mortgage, utilities, car payment, feed your family, and put your kids through college.

Now tell me if you think a $10 entry fee covers that.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM #17
thenoob23
Axe+$$

It will get you no were.And eforce is very correct with thats true though my local field its 35 for a rental,mask,and 500 paintballs and all day air and they get usally 150+ people a day on saturday and sunday.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM #18
ibunkerupwnd
it was all for lolz

ibunkerupwnd supports Team VICIOUS
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_ibunkeryou View Post
if you playing out in the woods your not wrecking bunkers.
wood bunkers/towers i have seen monster balls go through them like paper
Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 PM #19
thenoob23
Axe+$$

Lol bunker nice sig,and same here ive seen these there like super thick paint and literally like tear through the barrier and people start freaking out.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 PM #20
tony_ibunkeryou
29/0/0

tony_ibunkeryou plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tony_ibunkeryou posts videos on PbNation
tony_ibunkeryou plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoob23 View Post
Lol bunker nice sig,and same here ive seen these there like super thick paint and literally like tear through the barrier and people start freaking out.
Thanks man! just got it back today
tony_ibunkeryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 PM #21
ijinxd

ijinxd owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ijinxd has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ijinxd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ijinxd supports DLX Technology
I've heard a few reasons as to why you can't use your own paint.
1. Fields tell you that you can only use their paint. They over price it, and you're forced to buy it...=Profit
2. Some paint stains more than others. Since fields rent out vest and protective gear (masks, etc), they request not to use paint that they aren't sure about, so to be safe you have to buy theirs.
3....Monsterballs. Just kidding, I had to throw that in there for all of the semi-veterans.

Edit: I just read through the thread again...initially I was joking about Monsterballs, but apparently they were a real issue...

Last edited by ijinxd : 01-17-2013 at 06:10 PM.
ijinxd is offline   Reply With Quote