Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM #1
stranger1827

has been a member for 10 years
Recommendations for a new gun

Hey all,

Here's a quick back story:
I haven't played paintball for some time now and me a few friends are looking into getting back into it. When I use to play it was normally rec ball/woods at a local field. Unlike everyone else that use to play and got rid of their gear I kept mine. I have the stealth A5 Package (3pt stock, flatline, electric trigger (but broke so just a regular handle) all stock). I have two HPA tanks 65/4500 & 45/3000.

Okay so now to the point. I've been looking into getting a new gun and using the A5 as a back up/letting someone else use it. I've watched a ton of videos of recommendations on which guns to get started out with and two that I've seen to be popular are the Proto Rail and GoG eXTCy and they recommend the eXTCy for more woods ball due to the durability and the ease to changing the mode on the gun and durability and the Rail for more towards speedball. I personally don't like the looks of the eXTCy so I'm sticking with the rail.

So now I'm debating between the Proto Rail and the Proto Reflex Rail. I was gonna stick with the Rail but I would want to upgrade the feed neck and ASA right off the bat which would be approximately 60.00 depending which ones I get. While I was looking for prices of the guns I noticed I could get a Reflex stock for about 300 from trademygun.com http://tinyurl.com/94wa437 but I really like the DyeCam look over the green.

So I was just what you guys recommend between the too. I would use it for probably woodsball with the possibility to move to air ball.
stranger1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2012, 09:33 PM #2
protodyecamofan
Uncle C Dub "dye 4 life"

I think the reflex is an awesome gun! My son (12 yrs) uses one and ive shot it many times. Ive been using nt's and dm's for alittle while now and can say im VERY impressed with the reflex! Especially with the new bolt! And i would def recommened the Dyecam! The green may get old real fast! The refelex dyecam is a real nice lookin gun. At one point i was even considering gettin a reflex dyecam cuz the price point was good and i jus wanted somethin dyecam to mess around with. But a deal came up on a dyecam nt so i went with it. LOVE the dyecam pattern!!

Hope this helps!
Dye Dyecam NT11
Dye Graphite/Purple NT11 Dye Orange/Graphite NT11
Dye Graphite/Orange DM12
Ego11 Regal 2
Dye Red Wave NT10, Dye Zombie NT10, Dye 1of1 BW DM10
protodyecamofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 PM #3
stranger1827

Yea, I saw a super cheap Dyecam on here in the B/S/T section and it went for a cheap price but I didn't jump on it like I should have. I was kind of afraid to buy one because I wasn't sure if my one friend was going to get into paintball so I didn't buy it but I really love the pattern of it. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 AM #4
bubbalee30003
Pumpin Aint Easy!

bubbalee30003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bubbalee30003 is Legendary
bubbalee30003 supports DLX Technology
Look in my sig. I have a BNIB 2012 reflex rail and PM8 prices on both are OBO

Old Feedback
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2015350

Pump OT FTW
bubbalee30003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 AM #5
cmdrsuds

To the OP - you are very lucky this guy above me came along Hehe

I was just about to recommend buying used high ends, his PM8, instead of newer mid level guns. Nothing against them but the PM7 / PM8 (NOT rail models) are hands down the best bang for your buck today. Dye had to stop making the PM7 / PM8 line (MSRP $700) because they were out selling the expensive Dye markers by a VERY wide margin....

In a nutshell the PM8 will shoot smoother than a Reflex since it has an LPR which controls the movement of the bolt. The Rail does not have this and therefore the force is fixed and greater meaning more kick and likely to be less consistent.

Both are great guns and you will no doubt be happy with either a reflex or PM8. I just wanted to shed light on something that is often overlooked.. and once you have your new gun be sure to buy it the best upgrade ever... High grade paint. No matter what you shoot, the paint will be the biggest factor, not the barrel or bolt or whatever ppl recommend.

-
DENVER KAOS
cmdrsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:37 AM #6
bubbalee30003
Pumpin Aint Easy!

^ thanks man lol

Old Feedback

Pump OT FTW
Old 10-01-2012, 02:20 PM #7
stranger1827

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalee30003 View Post
Look in my sig. I have a BNIB 2012 reflex rail and PM8 prices on both are OBO
Yea I saw your listing in the B/S/T. I really want the dyecam though. I not looking to buy anything real soon but if nothing comes up when I'm ready to make a purchase I'll definitely keep you in mind.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM #8
Cracker_35
Saltine or Graham?

Cracker_35 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Cracker_35 has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Cracker_35 is Legendary
Cracker_35 supports DLX Technology
Definitely go with the Reflex. You're going to want to upgrade the composite frame on the Rail anyway.
Cracker_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 PM #9
bubbalee30003
Pumpin Aint Easy!

Thanks

Old Feedback

Pump OT FTW
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM #10
stranger1827

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrsuds View Post
To the OP - you are very lucky this guy above me came along Hehe

I was just about to recommend buying used high ends, his PM8, instead of newer mid level guns. Nothing against them but the PM7 / PM8 (NOT rail models) are hands down the best bang for your buck today. Dye had to stop making the PM7 / PM8 line (MSRP $700) because they were out selling the expensive Dye markers by a VERY wide margin....

In a nutshell the PM8 will shoot smoother than a Reflex since it has an LPR which controls the movement of the bolt. The Rail does not have this and therefore the force is fixed and greater meaning more kick and likely to be less consistent.

Both are great guns and you will no doubt be happy with either a reflex or PM8. I just wanted to shed light on something that is often overlooked.. and once you have your new gun be sure to buy it the best upgrade ever... High grade paint. No matter what you shoot, the paint will be the biggest factor, not the barrel or bolt or whatever ppl recommend.
What paint would you recommend for the reflex?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 PM #11
stranger1827

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalee30003 View Post
Thanks
sorry I won a DyeCam one off ebay, I hope it works lol. It's the style I really wanted but I do have someone that might be looking for a gun soon but I know he doesn't want to spend too much in case he decides he isn't going to play anymore. So I'll make sure I keep you in mind.