Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-08-2009, 06:45 PM #1
Muffinlord

Trracer maintenance questions.

I ordered a used trracer off of ebay and I finally got it today. I took it out for a test fire and after the thrill of shotting a pump for the first time I have some questions:

The pump stroke isn't the smoothest so I figured I have to lube the internals, but where in the marker am I supposed to put the lube?

Also some times the pump handle wouldn't go all the way forward and I'd have to give it an extra little push. Is there a way to fix this?

Lastly from what I can tell it doesn't have an adjustable bolt. So how do I know which spring makes the FPS higher or lower?

I hope somebody out there has some answers.
Muffinlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2009, 12:27 PM #2
Muffinlord

One more question:

This isn't really "maintenance", but what other trigger frames would work with this? Because I'm not liking this platic trigger all that much.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 PM #3
splash1
Moving...

has been a member for 10 years
The easiest way to lube any NON electro is to put a few drops of OIL (i.e. gold cup gun oil and the like) into the tiny hole in the ASA before you screw the air tank on. then gas it up and SHOOT the oil throughout the marker. If you want to go the long route (and I recommend this with ANY new-to-you marker you get) I suggest you TOTALLY break it down. Take everything out of the body, (if you're relatively new to the mechanical workings of a paintball gun) LABEL everything. You could just draw a large picture of the marker and label the drawing where which part goes. Then after cleaning everything, put a drop of oil on any moving part inside the body, rub the oil all around then re-install it in the reverse order of which you took it out. While everything is out, check your rubber o-ring inside the valve cap, and the cup seal, making sure they're clean and not cracked/split. And make sure the cup seal is tight on the power tube.

As for the frame, I'm not totally sure. I know CCM makes a grip frame for a Phantom that would probably work on it, but that's just the grip. The trigger assembly is a seperate animal.

12gm bucket changer
Acryllic tube: ~1" o.d., i.d. paintball sized, 15 balls in length
splash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:19 PM #4
Muffinlord

Thanks!

I took it apart to see how it all worked and also to clean the insides. I put it back together and shoots fine.

Is it normal for the trracer to be very loud when it fires?
Old 08-09-2009, 05:34 PM #5
mr doo doo
doo doo, stanky

^^ yep, they are quite loud, haha.
mr doo doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 PM #6
Muffinlord

I just realized that I have no "paintball" oil. Would regular WD 40 work?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:15 PM #7
muzakx

NEVER USE WD40.

It will eat away at orings.

Only use non-petroleum based oils.

edit:

The Traccer is nelson based and will be very easy to maintain, don't be afraid to take it apart.

Once it's apart you will have, in order from front to rear: a bolt, mainspring, hammer, powertube, cupseal, and valve spring. A bit of oil will smooth things up a bit.

Last edited by muzakx : 08-09-2009 at 07:19 PM.
muzakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:21 PM #8
Muffinlord

Thanks for the tip.

I think there might be a tube that came with my 98c laying around somewhere.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:21 PM #9
splash1
Moving...

You could also use oil for hair clippers. Whatever you use needs to be very light weight. but really, about any online pb businesses will have what you need pretty cheap.

12gm bucket changer
Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 PM #10
zz rai
One and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinlord View Post
I ordered a used trracer off of ebay and I finally got it today. I took it out for a test fire and after the thrill of shotting a pump for the first time I have some questions:

The pump stroke isn't the smoothest so I figured I have to lube the internals, but where in the marker am I supposed to put the lube?

Also some times the pump handle wouldn't go all the way forward and I'd have to give it an extra little push. Is there a way to fix this?

Lastly from what I can tell it doesn't have an adjustable bolt. So how do I know which spring makes the FPS higher or lower?

I hope somebody out there has some answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinlord View Post
One more question:

This isn't really "maintenance", but what other trigger frames would work with this? Because I'm not liking this platic trigger all that much.
The pump arm/ handle is connected to the bolt, so you can lube the bolt a bit. This should also solve your pump stroke not going all the away forward issue.

Look down your bolt, after you have taken the barrel and pump handle off. Insert an allen wrench down the bolt, if you can turn it clock wise/ counter, then you have an adjustable bolt.

Trigger frame is a bit harder, I have been looking for alternates too.

But the Grip can be replaced by a Phantom grip.
zz rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 PM #11
Muffinlord

I realized, since I cleaned the internal quite a bit, there would be not much if any lubrication left in the gun. Would just putting the oil in the ASA and dry firing lube it thoroughly enough? Or would I have to lube some parts manualy aswell?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:21 PM #12
splash1
Moving...

Oil in the asa would lube the inside of the valve (cup seal and power tube) sufficiently. You could also lube the bolt through the sides (where it connects with the pump arms. That's all you really need.

12gm bucket changer
Old 08-10-2009, 08:56 AM #13
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Some petroleum lubricants are fine on metal to metal applications as well as buna-nitrile (black) seals. Only urethane orings have this issue.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM #14
Muffinlord

Slight update from today:

I oiled my guns internals. I put a few drops in the asam gassed up and fired it some. All went with out a hitch, except when I screwed the tank in gas started tpo leak down the barrel, but stopped shortly after.

On a much higher note:

On closer inspection I DO have an adjustable bolt. I'm a little confused now because the gun came with two springs that go inside on the hammer. Any ideas on that?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:10 AM #15
muzakx

Maybe the previous owner used two to achieve the proper velocity.

What color was the valve spring?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:13 AM #16
Muffinlord

Oh wow fail on my part. What I meant was one spring came in the gun and the other one was sitting in the box.

Also I'm not sure which sping is the valve spring (I think it's the one in the asa), but I looked at both springs and I wouldn't really consider either of them colored.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 PM #17
muzakx

oh ok. lol.

Yeah, the spring in the asa is the valve spring, the much smaller one.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:58 PM #18
raptorgator

On the adjustable bolts, used a 1/4 " Allen to adjust the tension on the spring, in to increased and out to lowered.
Also you may have a "low velocity/ high " springs.
Best thing is to shoot some paint over the chrono and adjust from there.
Also if you have the stock barrel they are 0.691 bore, so the nail polish "weddit" trick would be used full.
raptorgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM #19
Muffinlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorgator View Post
Also if you have the stock barrel they are 0.691 bore, so the nail polish "weddit" trick would be used full.
Actually I shot some paint through it today just for target practice and got maybe three roll outs.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM #20
raptorgator

Nice, as always for pump a good barrel to paint match will prevent roll outs and will help you with the consistency.
raptorgator is offline   Reply With Quote