PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM #1
AJ 210

has been a member for 10 years
Atheism vs Deism

I recently have renounced my Catholic faith and have been diving into the wonders of Deism and self-reliance. Now that I have been questioning my faith and reading about Atheism, I find myself agreeing a lot with what they have to say. However, I still feel there is some divine presence among all humans that interconnects us all. I invite any atheist who would like convince me otherwise or recommend some literature. Please no Bible thumpers!
AJ 210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM #2
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ 210 View Post
I recently have renounced my Catholic faith and have been diving into the wonders of Deism and self-reliance. Now that I have been questioning my faith and reading about Atheism, I find myself agreeing a lot with what they have to say. However, I still feel there is some divine presence among all humans that interconnects us all. I invite any atheist who would like convince me otherwise or recommend some literature. Please no Bible thumpers!
Are you saying you are not sure if you are an atheist or a deist?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:10 AM #3
AJ 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
Are you saying you are not sure if you are an atheist or a deist?
Yes I guess so!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:10 AM #4
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

plays in the NXL 2
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
The communal feeling of togetherness amongst humans has nothing to do with a divine being, it is a natural need to belong. In psychology the need to belong is falls under the need to be socially accepted in general.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:33 PM #5
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Yes I guess so!
Do you really want to confine yourself to a label?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM #6
WillWorkForPaint!

have u heard of agnosticism? If not, check this out http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQ...blag_index.htm
Old 03-06-2010, 08:56 PM #7
AJ 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
Do you really want to confine yourself to a label?
I'm not one for conformity, but I would like to know where i stand in this journey called life.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:45 PM #8
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Fubarius is a Moderator
Fubarius supports our troops
Quote:
I'm not one for conformity, but I would like to know where i stand in this journey called life.
There's a good chance that it won't fall into one simple label.

While I'm not 100% sure about anything I currently believe I'm open to the possibility, and would bet on the probability, of the existence of a higher being while maintaining and trusting observable and testable science. When the urge to venerate said higher being strikes me (as it does from time to time) I prefer a public service with predictable ceremony performed by an organization with a well established hierarchy and a long historical precedent. I also find pipe organ music more theistically inspirational than guitar (guitar is more entertaining of course, but that's drifting from the topic).

So I could make a big list of -ist's that I think I am, and those I think I'm not (definitely NOT a Calvinist), but slapping a label on yourself tends to inhibit growth. Just start collecting ideas, the -ist's and -ism's will sort themselves out later.
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:08 AM #9
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
You'll never be done learning about divinity and your own beliefs. So as opposed to being so worried about what your label should be, continue to learn about philosophical and theological issues which are of interest to you. If an answer comes to you, great, but if not it's nothing unusual.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:54 AM #10
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
Why do you need someone else to tell you where you stand?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:49 PM #11
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules

Dont let them conform you to being non-conformist!

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 PM #12
AJ 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxide2 View Post
This thread is ****ing retarded.

Stop trying to get an official description for yourself and just learn.
WOW unproductive
Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 PM #13
Aaron5604
Nothing is what it seems

Quote:
If you're here searching for a straight answer, an honest opinion? Than, based on your OP -- I would consider your present stance to be Atheistic in nature.

JL Audio - 1000/1 Amp + 3 10W3V3 Subs (Enclosed) + Focal Access 130A1 Comps. for sale. PM me for details.
Aaron5604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 AM #14
wavesport001

Quote:
. However, I still feel there is some divine presence among all humans that interconnects us all. I invite any atheist who would like convince me otherwise or recommend some literature. Please no Bible thumpers!
You feel there is a divine presence. Do you have any evidence for this presence? If not, then it's not based on rational evaluation of evidence and cannot be proven or disproven. If you want someone's else's opinion you could read "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins - he gives a his thoughts on why humans need to feel connected, etc.

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:34 PM #15
Voxide2 (Banned)

Quote:
WOW unproductive
Because you don't agree with it?

Re-think the way your life is going. Then come back here. For ****s sake, you're asking a bunch of random people to give you a label. Terrible.
Voxide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:13 PM #16
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxide2 View Post
Because you don't agree with it?

Re-think the way your life is going. Then come back here. For ****s sake, you're asking a bunch of random people to give you a label. Terrible.
Please, he created a thread with the express intent of asking people who may have some understanding of theology to clarify something for him. It's a valid debate -- see Aaron5604's post as well as wavesport's.

I see nothing wrong with pointing out that labels are restrictive, but we shouldn't be so hostile.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 PM #17
URBANxFLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
You feel there is a divine presence. Do you have any evidence for this presence? If not, then it's not based on rational evaluation of evidence and cannot be proven or disproven. If you want someone's else's opinion you could read "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins - he gives a his thoughts on why humans need to feel connected, etc.

As for the people knocking him due to the fact that he is searching for a 'label'

First off he is searching for clarification on his beliefs (or lack thereof). For example one needs to be informed/know of things before they can agree with them or accept them as true (rationally). He seems that he has difficulty accepting any idea of a prime mover but senses that humans connect on a profound level, which they do. As for that there is a psychological and mental explanation, psychologically speaking in primitive terms, traveling solo often is endangering to someone's well being so one will search for 'friends' for protection and comradeship. Also one will search for a member of the opposite sex (primitive aspect) to procreate. The mental state is often involved with thought, for example; you are now theoretically connected to the people on this thread due to your inquiry which was a function of thought (application of your mind(which exemplifies ones mental will to progress)).

It is important to note that just because you (or anyone) fails to explain something, that does not suggest any divine existence. In the past people could not explain the tides and movements of the ocean, climate change, and a variety of other things that we now know and understand scientifically... People of that day and age accepted that multiple gods controlled these functions (what we know as greek mythology, all religions are mythology as they lack tangible justification)
Furthermore the question of how we all got here is no more suggestive of any prime mover then any other question that remains (or was) unanswered.

Lastly there is no such things as conforming to atheism as it is not a set of concrete ideals, there is no preached doctrine, no person accepted as the 'speaker for the masses'. It is one thing; the lack of a belief in any god or deity. Naturally that presupposes reason, logic, and a number of other things however it does not force one to accept those. His inquiry was of the nature of philosophical understanding therefore those of you bashing him are hypocrites... Any atheist had to consider the things he is currently considering at one point or another to rationally alter their belief system.
URBANxFLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:53 PM #18
AJ 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBANxFLOW View Post

As for the people knocking him due to the fact that he is searching for a 'label'

First off he is searching for clarification on his beliefs (or lack thereof). For example one needs to be informed/know of things before they can agree with them or accept them as true (rationally). He seems that he has difficulty accepting any idea of a prime mover but senses that humans connect on a profound level, which they do. As for that there is a psychological and mental explanation, psychologically speaking in primitive terms, traveling solo often is endangering to someone's well being so one will search for 'friends' for protection and comradeship. Also one will search for a member of the opposite sex (primitive aspect) to procreate. The mental state is often involved with thought, for example; you are now theoretically connected to the people on this thread due to your inquiry which was a function of thought (application of your mind(which exemplifies ones mental will to progress)).

It is important to note that just because you (or anyone) fails to explain something, that does not suggest any divine existence. In the past people could not explain the tides and movements of the ocean, climate change, and a variety of other things that we now know and understand scientifically... People of that day and age accepted that multiple gods controlled these functions (what we know as greek mythology, all religions are mythology as they lack tangible justification)
Furthermore the question of how we all got here is no more suggestive of any prime mover then any other question that remains (or was) unanswered.

Lastly there is no such things as conforming to atheism as it is not a set of concrete ideals, there is no preached doctrine, no person accepted as the 'speaker for the masses'. It is one thing; the lack of a belief in any god or deity. Naturally that presupposes reason, logic, and a number of other things however it does not force one to accept those. His inquiry was of the nature of philosophical understanding therefore those of you bashing him are hypocrites... Any atheist had to consider the things he is currently considering at one point or another to rationally alter their belief system.
Where does transcendentalism fit in an Atheistic worldview? Or does it even fit?
Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM #19
nflvikings
It's fizzix.

Quote:
Where does transcendentalism fit in an Atheistic worldview? Or does it even fit?
There really isn't an overarching atheist worldview. The only central belief is the lack of a belief in the existence of a deity. Beyond that, the details vary by the person.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM #20
URBANxFLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflvikings View Post
There really isn't an overarching atheist worldview. The only central belief is the lack of a belief in the existence of a deity. Beyond that, the details vary by the person.
Exactly right.

You are more then likely to find Atheists reject the idea as it alludes to the supernatural.
It also degrades the power of the human mind placing some unexplainable higher power above it, that is an ideal I reject.
URBANxFLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:42 PM #21
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
Before you spend a lot of time agonizing over what to believe, or what to call yourself, I suggest you ask yourself what practical purpose it will serve in your life.

If you can't answer that question in a cogent manner, they I suggest that you just enjoy your life and not worry about it.

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote