Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-19-2006, 12:23 AM #43
iowaownage
www.Velocityiowa.com

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by positive_ion
for the record no barrel i repeat no barrel affects a guns gas efficiency.your gun should put the same amount of air out the gun every time you shoot.so many noobs are wanting a more efficient barrel!!!!just get the correct bore size and the barrel will be fine.that is sometimes why some people who have the same barrel argue that it sucks or not. one may have the bore mathced perfectly and not the other.the friction of the paintball and the barrel affect the velocity so you may not get the distance if you bore is too tight or you may not have accuracy if it it too loose(duh).
paint tends to get tacky when there is moisture in the air and that makes it have more friction against the barrel.
Barrels do to affect gas efficieny. If your paint doesnt match the barrel it will take more air to get to desired velocity. If your barrel has more holes it will also take more pressure to push the paintball through the barrel to get the velocity you want. The longer your barrel is the more air you will have to use to push the paintball through the barrel
iowaownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 PM #44
Evil_Legion

bet ur good at blowing ehh?
Evil_Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:53 PM #45
UncleOmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaownage
Barrels do to affect gas efficieny. If your paint doesnt match the barrel it will take more air to get to desired velocity. If your barrel has more holes it will also take more pressure to push the paintball through the barrel to get the velocity you want. The longer your barrel is the more air you will have to use to push the paintball through the barrel
This is correct. Barrels do not affect air usage, but do affect efficiency. There is a marked difference and I think what the other guy should have used in his post was usage, not efficiency.
UncleOmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:24 PM #46
Micros480

thanks for the info guys keep the good stuff comin!
Micros480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:58 PM #47
Vicious49
Excelsior!

Vicious49 plays in the USPL
Vicious49 plays in the PSP
Vicious49 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Vicious49 supports Pev's Paintball
Vicious49 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I just got a 14" Sly barrel but am thinking about switching it out for a 12" because it looks too big on my gun. There should be virtually no difference between the 2 performance wise, correct?
Vicious49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:23 PM #48
TeamShellShock
Collect All 16!

TeamShellShock is a Supporting Member
TeamShellShock supports our troops
TeamShellShock is a Forum Captain
I heard a myth that Single barrels will perform better then 2-piece barrels.

Is this true?
TeamShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:59 AM #49
SteveE
Naughty Dogs

If you have to worry about efficiency that much, buy a bigger tank, because you can obviously afford the paint.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:37 AM #50
SpyderPride
Mechanical Engineer

SpyderPride is a Supporting Member
All the incorrect information here is killing me...

Accuracy in Paintball:

1) AIMING!!! YOU are the #1 determining factor in how accurately you shoot. Learn to look at something, pull the trigger, and hit it (or come very close to it) from a variety of ranges. Longer barrels tend to be easier to aim, even though you shouldn't directly target down the barrel (you point and shoot a paintball marker).

2) PAINT QUALITY! The rounder and more consistent your paint is, the more accurately you will shoot. Air drag and velocity consistency will be more uniform from ball to ball.

3) Barrel Quality. The smoother, slicker, and more perfect the inside of your barrel is, the more accurately you will shoot. Less spin is imparted on the ball. As a side note, any old paint or debris in your barrel will destroy your accuracy by causing a lot of random spin.

4) Stability of shooting platform. A smoother shooting gun will be easier to keep on target while you are blasting a rope. This is also possibly true for single shots, since the marker might begin to recoil while the ball is still in the barrel.

A good Paint to Bore Match does the following:

1) Less gas is lost around the ball, so slightly better efficiency results.

2) Prevents roll outs and partial roll outs in closed bolt markers.

Please note:

1) A perfect match DOES NOT mean better accuracy. The ball will deform because of the pressure hitting it on one side so suddenly. This creates a "perfect fit" during the shot. Gas is lost around the ball initially, but then the "perfect fit" effect probably starts about 1" or so into the barrel.

2) Of course, if the paint is too big for the barrel it is just going to break when you use it.

*** This is the information I have gathered from my own experiences and from very knowledgable people since I began playing. I have put many a paintball through many a barrel and this is what I have observed. Many people are very closed minded about this and have not thought about it very analytically while considering all the alternatives. FYI I am a Mech Engr major in my 4th year. Not to brag or anything, but just to let you know that I understand things like this.***
SpyderPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:54 PM #51
SteveE
Naughty Dogs

Sorry for trying to ****ing help.

Last edited by SteveE : 01-02-2007 at 02:17 PM.
SteveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:08 AM #52
SpyderPride
Mechanical Engineer

http://durtydan.paintballresource.or.../diffdiam.html

Last edited by SpyderPride : 01-10-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:30 PM #53
SteveE
Naughty Dogs

Last edited by SteveE : 01-02-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:16 PM #54
SpyderPride
Mechanical Engineer

Last edited by SpyderPride : 01-10-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:54 PM #55
SteveE
Naughty Dogs

Last edited by SteveE : 01-02-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:49 AM #56
Lite_em_up

steveE u are partially right on some of ur ideas, but dwell does not affect accuracy unless it is too low, if its too high ur balls will break from impact. The honing on the inside of a barrel is one of the biggest roles in accuracy. now there are way too many "theorys" in the paintball world, detents also play a big point in accuracy because if the ball is hit in the same spot everytime u are creating consistancy which would increase accuracy. dwell can effect kick but u would not notice, dwell effects howe long the bolt stays in the forward position, all it does is change the amount of the provided air to be used, which for markers with lpr's is adjusted as low as possible without consistancy proublems so u useall ur air which would make it more efficient because there is no wasted air, now if u understood everything i said, which im sure u did, u wouldnt have anything else to argue about, oo one more thing, yes the ball deforms on impact, thats what the barrel also helps with is it coming back to its oringinal shape and having the truest flight, thats y if u shoot a ball and it doest break (lets say u shot the net) go pick it up and one part of the ball will be softer than the rest
Lite_em_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:34 AM #57
SpyderPride
Mechanical Engineer

Thanks, lite_em_up.

Last edited by SpyderPride : 01-10-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:16 PM #58
SteveE
Naughty Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite_em_up View Post
steveE u are partially right on some of ur ideas, but dwell does not affect accuracy unless it is too low, if its too high ur balls will break from impact.
THEN DWELL DOES AFFECT ACCURACY THEN, RIGHT???

**** this, I'm sick of arguing with idiots. Believe what you guys want, I'm sorry for trying to help. Have a nice day.

Last edited by SteveE : 01-02-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:19 PM #59
Lite_em_up

thank you for dropping it
Lite_em_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:01 PM #60
ktour99

That was great stuff. I have also bought into the paint-barrel match hype but after reading all of this I am begining to agree with you in the sense that the inner finish of the barrel will play a big part in accuracy. I never thought about ball deformation but that makes alot of sense. However, I think it's possible that both sides of this arguement are right. It is undeniably true that the entire paintball world ,from a manufacturing standpoint, revolves around one thing...money. Therefore they will market barrels and kits however they feel they need to in order to make as much money as they can so we can expect a certain amount of marketing hype and are forced into a "trial and error" situation to try sort out what actually works as advertised as well as rely on wonderful forums such as these to share our experiences. The only reason that a single standard bore size for all barrels and all paintballs has never been put into action is undoubtably because manufacturers make more money when consumers are buying five barrels in stead of one barrel. While the paint to barrel matching theory may in fact be over emphasized, and the marketing departments of these lovely barrel companys may have run away with this a bit, I believe there is a great deal of truth to it for a couple reasons.
1. personal experience.
2. It is an entirely too widely accepted theory for entirely too long to be purely hype, marketing or not.
3. Logic. Let's think about what happens to a paintball right after the gas hits it and while it's in the barrel. As SpyderPride and Lite em up mentioned above, when the gas hits the ball a level of deformation occurs which will force the ball into a perfect seal in the barrel and that makes perfect sense. Except now we have a misshaped ball moving down the barrel. Now, every ball I've ever shot or been shot with that did not break was round when I picked it up which means that at some point that ball had to snap back to it's original shape and therefore original size. This reformation would have to occur inside the barrel or this entire discussion is moot simply because if we had balls coming out of our barrels in all sorts of shapes and then snapping back in place during mid flight, accuracy would be more luck than anything else. So when this paintball reforms in the barrel and lets say the paint is .687 and your barrel is .692 you now have poor paint to barrel match. The paint is to small and may be dragging on one side of the barrel and not the other. Regardless of the inner finish quality of the barrel , although that will certainly play a part, unless the the coefficient of friction in the barrel is 0.0 you will be putting some spin on the ball. I don't know how many rpms equal how far the ball we be off target at what distance, but I do know that that spin will adversely affect the accuracy. So yes, at this point I would agree with you that without a proper paint to barrel match the quailty of the barrel's inner finish or the "slickness" would be the most crucial factor in accuracy, but I don't see how that can make up for a perfect barrel-paint match where you have equal friction on all sides of the ball imparting no spin.

Last edited by ktour99 : 01-09-2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Thought about it and realized I had a lot more to say
ktour99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:00 PM #61
SpyderPride
Mechanical Engineer

ktour99- I understand your reasoning. I never thought about the paint "snapping back" to its original shape before you said something about it.

My main point is this: I have had tight bore matches and loose bore matches, and have definitely taken note of the accuracy differences. I have deduced from my observation that smooth, clean barrels shooting round, consistent paint are THE most accurate by far. I have never noticed better accuracy from the tighter fits. And believe me, I was looking for better accuracy. The out-of-round and inconsistent-sized paint was always inaccurate (of course dimpled and oily stuff sucks too).

If you're wondering what bore is the smoothest, the answer is many. Pretty much any barrel that appears to have a mirror finish inside is going to be as smooth as it needs to be. From there its just a matter of keeping it clean. As far as I'm concerned, the CP 1-Piece is the best barrel buy in paintball. Mirror finish and you can get them for less than $40.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:13 PM #62
ktour99

SpyderPride- I was actually looking at the cp barrels myself. I have shot mainly lapco's lately and have found them to be great barrels but they don't look good on my gun. The cp's are absolutely beautiful and cheap. You seem to know what your talking about when it comes to paintball so your positive opinion on the barrels my be the last thing I need to hear to allow me to confidently purchase one. Have you tried the two piece? I have always been a one piece barrel guy and just bought a couple different sizes. What size do you have and if I were to stick with only one size what have you found to be the most versitile?
ktour99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:33 PM #63
SpyderPride
Mechanical Engineer

I don't currently have a CP barrel, but the ones I've used have aways been .689. They've never been too small, either. Most of the paint that I've used has been either that size or just a tad smaller, probably .687 or .686. I've used stuff as small as .679 (tested on a Freak kit) through my .689's and accuracy was still just fine. I've had cross field accuracy contests with people that match their paint and you seriously can't see an accuracy difference. A lot of the time, I was actually more accurate because I am a good shot.

Just get a bore size thats as big as the biggest stuff that you use. A .691 would probably be safe because you'll probably never run into anything bigger than that.

I read somewhere that Dynasty at least used to use the .693 or .695 inserts on their Freaks regardless of paint size just so they would get less barrel breaks. If they do this, then it must not affect accuracy too much to have a loose fit.