Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 AM #1
757_juggalo
11 year vet, **** my name

has been a member for 10 years
757_juggalo owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
is marekting a good field to get into?

the reason im posting this here is because the is the only place in st with half a brain.

so im a junior is high school right now and my plan for the moment(it changes alot) is to go to college for marketing with a minor in either business or finances

so i ask is marketing a good field to get into? and which minor would u pick?
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 AM #2
FiresofSirius

plays in the NXL
FiresofSirius donated to help Peyton Trent
There will always be a need for advertising, so I'd say if its something you're really interested in then go for it. At my school a lot of the marketing majors have chosen to take minors in some type of art/graphic design program to assist them in designs for ads and such. A minor in mathematics, more importantly statistics could be beneficial also.

Check out, the Occupational Outlook Handbook if you haven't already;
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocoS020.htm

Last edited by FiresofSirius : 09-29-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 AM #3
mulletstation

My advice first would be to never ever mention you're a juggalo on your resume.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 PM #4
dsniper

Your at a good time to start planning. The first step is to focus on your grades now. The higher the more scolarships you can get. Also employers really do look at the organizations you are in. The grade based ones are the best. EXample: Phi Theta Kappa. I think most schools have that. There are so many people graduating with business degrees you really need to set yourself apart from them. Phi Theta Kappa was for nerds (in my brain) while in high school, but I soon learned that those people were getting the dream jobs and scholarships. If you go finance degree plan on working in a bank. Accounting is hot right now thanks to Enron, Worldcomm, and Tyco. I am partial to accounting because I will be sitting for the CPA exam soon. Engineering is extremely hot also. They start out with high pay and you can find a job fast. IF you are good in math and like to build things that would be a good choice. As for marketing you can get all types of jobs, many will be sales related. Business Admin is very broad and I recommend specializing ing something(accounting, finance, marketing). Business management is a tough job market many end up in retail management. If you are serious and have questions you can pm me. I speak from experience. I graduated from the University of Texas in 2005 with my Batchelors and I could not find a decent job. I worked retail management and took night classes for the accounting degree. All i can say is the job market is tough so start preparing yourself now. Some schools have a 5 year program where you come out with a Bachelor's and a MBA(masters of business admin.) If hard work doesnt bother you and your parents are going to pay some bills this is a great choice.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:55 AM #5
mulletstation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowapadedo View Post
has anyone tried this marketing system? http://thespiderwebsystem.com/dannywowo
This website doesn't even explain itself at all. WHAT ARE THEY SELLING BESIDES THE SYSTEM ITSELF.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:35 PM #6
N i C k

I plan on doing stock exchange as a side thing from work. I plan on making investments in companies that I know will make a profit. EPIC games with GOW2, Rigid with all tools for new construction.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 AM #7
topgogogo

my major is marketing,it is very interesting
Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 AM #8
BEsRaider

BEsRaider owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
My degree is in marketing. It is a degree that you can use and apply to just about any career path. Ultimately, when it comes down to it, everything in life is marketing. Not to mention, marketing degrees lend well to sales careers (professional sales is where the money is i.e. pharm, industrial, etc).
Old 10-23-2008, 11:46 PM #9
t_mo

Do you like marketing?

If so.. Yes.

If not do something you like! You will be 10 times more successful.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 AM #10
Frank112916

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757_juggalo View Post
the reason im posting this here is because the is the only place in st with half a brain.

so im a junior is high school right now and my plan for the moment(it changes alot) is to go to college for marketing with a minor in either business or finances

so i ask is marketing a good field to get into? and which minor would u pick?
well speaking from someone currently in school for business it works like this --->

You pick a major (in your case a BSBA Major or a BSIB Major)
Within a Business Major there are several different concentrations which vary in name and scope depending on your school. Typical Concentrations are:
Finance
Accounting
MIS
Human Resources Management
Marketing
Entrepreneurship
Supply Chain Management
and Regular old Management (typically the broadest/least specialized concentration. Not sure why people choose it)

There are others depending on the school.

So your major would be BSBA or BSIB (Bachelors of Science of International Business)
You can usually choose two concentrations which requires a slight course overload but isn't too hard to manage as long as you study

From what I've seen people will typically do Dual Concentrations in Finance and one other. Finance naturally lends itself to any level of business and is fairly diverse in its application.

Minors are different from concentrations. Take myself for example.

My Major is BSIB, my concentration is Finance, and due to my BSIB major requirement I must minor in German (or any other foreign language of my choice, but I chose German)

Anyway, Marketing is an interesting facet of the Business world. It focuses on long-term and profit oriented relationship building between a customer and the company. It's not just advertising, it's also product development, segment development etc... You really do need to know a lot and be well versed in the current political, economic, and social climate to do well in marketing. I don't find marketing particularly interesting but as others have said people will always need marketers. Marketers these days however have less freedom than they did in the past and have much greater accountability than they did in the past for performance of their market-strategy implementation. It's a highly competitive field, slightly less competitive than the Financial sector, but can yield high income if you're good at what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N i C k View Post
I plan on doing stock exchange as a side thing from work. I plan on making investments in companies that I know will make a profit. EPIC games with GOW2, Rigid with all tools for new construction.

Last edited by Frank112916 : 10-29-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 AM #11
Carnagge

marketing is good, but keep in mind when there is a recession its the first area that gets cut by most businesses...when people stop spending money, marketing takes cuts, layoffs etc...

68/4500 tank
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post64366912
Old 11-02-2008, 05:14 PM #12
BEsRaider

BEsRaider owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Thats not entirely true. if you ask any successful business, you have to spend money to make marketing. When sales get tough, companies tend to increase their marketing budgets, and cut production costs...
Old 11-02-2008, 05:33 PM #13
[JUSTIN]
●LOVE●

Marketing is a broad field. My marketing professor is always saying that 80% of college graduates will go into careers that involve marketing in some capacity. Which makes me think it might be something worth minoring in...but not majoring in.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:18 PM #14
caliro121
Rocking a Little Know-How

Do what you love.

UMiami