PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 PM #1
licence2kill
POOP

Unemployment

If you were made dictator of America (meaning no political constraints, you have complete control over all Federal functions) what would you do to bring unemployment down?
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 PM #2
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Ship the unemployed to Mexico because they're lazy and a drain on the system.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM #3
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Dictator?

Take complete control of industry, make employment in government factories mandatory.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 PM #4
licence2kill
POOP

No political constraints, but you are constrained by law.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM #5
Animal_Mother (Banned)

I would take those currently on unemployment and give them a job improving our infrastructure, security, and cleanliness. Not just unemployment insurance, but all federal assistance. I would actively ensure that anyone currently unemployed collecting funds from working tax payers would be doing their part to make our country better. Whether that be removing and collecting trash from roadsides, digging ditches, or working at soup kitchens. Nobody rides for free.
Animal_Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 PM #6
licence2kill
POOP

So fiscal stimulus.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM #7
Animal_Mother (Banned)

Yes and no. Like the proposed rail in Wisconsin that would have connected Madison and Milwaukee. The Republicans said no because we didn't have the money. My argument was that there were millions of people collecting unemployment that could have been collecting a paycheck while doing something worthwhile and productive. Other than that, I honestly believe that people should be forced to pick up trash for their unemployment/welfare checks until they find employment.

edit - Don't get it twisted. I don't support the Liberal platform of throwing more money at a problem, but at the same time I don't support the Conservative platform of saying no to everything. Both parties are completely Jedi mind-****ed and need to be eradicated for the good of our future.

Last edited by Animal_Mother : 10-22-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 PM #8
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Unemployment is paid for by workers so there is no no grounds to ask them to work for it.
Furthermore it would be economically unproductive to do so.

Last edited by drgonzo : 10-22-2012 at 10:12 PM.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 PM #9
Animal_Mother (Banned)

Not entirely true. Sometimes, employees only need 13 weeks of employment and are then granted much longer than 13 weeks in unemployment insurance. Especially with all of the unemployment benefit extensions a few years back, there were plenty of people that didn't "pay for" those benefits that ended up receiving them.

edit - The 13 weeks of employment was just an example to illustrate that some people "earned" more paychecks from unemployment than at their actual employment given the unemployment extensions.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 PM #10
$h@key J0nEZ
The South Will Rise Again

Print more money.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 PM #11
Animal_Mother (Banned)

Problem solved.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM #12
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal_Mother View Post
Not entirely true. Sometimes, employees only need 13 weeks of employment and are then granted much longer than 13 weeks in unemployment insurance. Especially with all of the unemployment benefit extensions a few years back, there were plenty of people that didn't "pay for" those benefits that ended up receiving them.
Actually 13 weeks is far less than most people "pay for," at 12% 13 weeks is just over 2 years of paying in. Because of the higher numbers of more experienced workers becoming unemployed in the recession, it is a proper and correct reflection of value to extend unemployment benefits.

But regardless it is an insurance system. People aren't necessarily supposed to pay for as much as they claim, that's the point. Working for unemployment payments basically amounts to working for free, which creates social problems.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 PM #13
Animal_Mother (Banned)

And not working because it's easier to ride out unemployment benefits than actually working another job creates fiscal problems.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 PM #14
licence2kill
POOP

are people not working because they're receiving unemployment benefits or are they not working because theres no jobs available because of a demand shock?

is UI endogenous or exogenous of aggregate demand?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 PM #15
Animal_Mother (Banned)

Both. A lot of people are not working because they make more money in unemployment than they would at the currently available jobs, though.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 PM #16
licence2kill
POOP

thats impossible
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM #17
Animal_Mother (Banned)

Oh? If the only jobs in the area that are available are paying $8-10/hr, but the person on UIC is collecting $300/wk after tax, what do you think they're more inclined to take advantage of?

This is actually a real world example of a dilemma that a couple of my buddies are facing right now. They are perfectly capable of working but they keep milking unemployment. I call them out on being lazy ****s but they continue to do nothing to better their situations.

Last edited by Animal_Mother : 10-22-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 PM #18
licence2kill
POOP

i misunderstood you.

yes thats possible, but my argument would be that extended UI is endogenous of the level of AD. Raise AD and congress will bring down UI benefits.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 PM #19
Animal_Mother (Banned)

My solution would be to quit giving job creators more incentive to offshore their **** than to keep it here in the States. Over regulating and over taxing job creators will only make them exploit labor somewhere else.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 PM #20
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal_Mother View Post
And not working because it's easier to ride out unemployment benefits than actually working another job creates fiscal problems.
No, it is fiscally beneficial. As I already said, UI benefits are paid for in advance.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 PM #21
Animal_Mother (Banned)

You're right, everything is already paid for so **** it let's get paid bro!