Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-17-2004, 03:27 PM #43
WCWfrk
stlindoor.com

WCWfrk is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
oh, and because i "defined" it for someone else it makes me an idiot? hmmm...for some reason that doesn't make any sense to me.

The point I was trying to get across if Smart Parts is doing everything they can to make money when other paintball companies do it for the players and the sport.

Feedback
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2004, 11:42 PM #44
gamersix

i hate little kids posting on these forums even more than i hate smart parts ruining pball - because at least smart parts isnt going to give me brain aneurysms

if it wasnt for my horse...i would have never spent that year in college

nuff said?

Last edited by gamersix : 03-23-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:20 PM #45
kscullin
Sting with honor.

I have to ask - if SPs intention is not to put these companies out of business, then why are they going after the small manufacturers first, who can't afford a real fight and have to settle out of court, rather than the big ones who can afford to fight them in court and who can "afford" to pay the license fees if they lose?

Without honor, there can be no glory.

If at first you don't succeed, kill all the witnesses and start over! :)
Old 03-26-2004, 07:38 AM #46
UnknownAssassin
POOPy

UnknownAssassin is a Supporting Member
Business is a way of life... you guys just cant take it... so stop being soo supportive of the guys who cant make it in business....

WAKE UP.

Rock The World.

My Feedback
Old 03-27-2004, 01:47 PM #47
Blaineikans

As I see it, the way SP is going about this is a bit immoral as it is with the intention of making them the dominant electro-manufacturer (the American dream). In all reality, I hope this patent is thrown out of court soon, but SP has the right to do this; if this ordeal continues I'll support SP as long as it goes on with moderation.
Since this thread changed to accusing SP of becoming a monopoly, I'll voice on that. This is in no way going to make SP a monopoly, when paying $700+ for a top of the line marker, an additional $60 (if that's what I understand to be the rights paid per marker) or so becomes negligible for a marker of excellent quality; IE: AKA IGD etc. This shouldn't condemn any manufacturer if loyal customers stay that way.
I do believe, however, it will slow the advancement of paintball technology. This will force competitors to develop new ways of throwin a paintball 300fps...
Old 03-29-2004, 11:26 PM #48
XxElite12

lol, i cant believe this thread is still alive
Old 03-30-2004, 06:42 AM #49
Blaineikans

It's not, I was merely bored while at work.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:52 PM #50
WCWfrk
stlindoor.com

WCWfrk is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Blaineikans
This is in no way going to make SP a monopoly, when paying $700+ for a top of the line marker, an additional $60 (if that's what I understand to be the rights paid per marker) or so becomes negligible for a marker of excellent quality; IE: AKA IGD etc. This shouldn't condemn any manufacturer if loyal customers stay that way.
Ummm....first off, the royalty is 75...plus...they have to divide a fee between each marker sold that is what the company is being sued...so say Company A is sued and has to pay 1 million dollars, plus 75 dollars royalty. Company A sells Gun Z for 500 dollars. They expect to sell about 5000 guns...so you divide 1,000,000 by 5,000. That's $200 dollars they add to each marker, plus the 75...so that makes Gun Z go up from being $500 to being $775...now go ahead and tell me that that is not a big increase...

Feedback
Old 04-02-2004, 11:49 PM #51
ingenexec

Well, to support the mcdonalds food stuff, imagine this: mcdonalds goes back right now, and changes its name patent to include the concept of deep frying french fries, and putting slices of ground beef between pieces of bread.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:38 AM #52
X_Brolly_X
Nuclear Powered

X_Brolly_X is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by ingenexec
Well, to support the mcdonalds food stuff, imagine this: mcdonalds goes back right now, and changes its name patent to include the concept of deep frying french fries, and putting slices of ground beef between pieces of bread.
That is a better analogy of what SP is doing.

SP did not invent the use of a microswitch, or a pnumatic marker. They just decided to patent it first. Bud Orr could have patented the pnumatic design, but he didd'nt... why? Because he wanted to help the industry grow. SP is just after more money, sure thats buisness, buts its very underhanded. They are putting other manufactures that are smaller than them out of buisness using scare tactics. They had so much more money than AKA, even though AKA could have won leagally in court. AKA just did not want to risk bringing it to court, because if they lost, they would have been totally screwed. SP had less to lose, they had enough money to recover from a loss.

Is this a monopoly? Not in a legal sence, but realistically it is. Is SP an *** for doing it? Yes, if they continue they are just going to drive up the prices of any company that survives them. I am not going to feal sorry for all you SP supporters when you go to buy a new marker and end up paying out the *** for it.

This is of course, stuff that has already been said. Still, I wanted to express my personal opinion.
"Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. And yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you cannot conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, or five times more? Perhaps not even that. And yet it all seems limitless..."
Old 04-07-2004, 01:43 PM #53
Pure-Hate
The Saints

Smart Parts Made The Perfect Move, Patenting Something That Everyone Buy And They Didnt Patent The Whole Electro Thing, Just How They Do It, Look At Kingman Not In Trouble Because Of Thier Own Electro Ideas And Other Companys As Well, They Sue Those Who Clone Thier **** And I Understand Why I Would To

Keep it Classy
"Scale of 1 to 10... I'd hit it"
Old 04-07-2004, 02:51 PM #54
ingenexec

Woah... That would make one hell of a title for something, but sucks *** as a paragraph. Anyway, the reason that Smart Parts hasn't sued Kingman is because Kingman has A) a **** load more money than SP and B) a headquarters in asia. The amount of money kingman has is staggering, their profit margin per gun is higher than SP's for amount of time invested.

NPS, which is partnered with BLAST (bob long's stuff) was not sued and nor was bob long, becuase they market about 80% of Smart Part's goods. Biting the hand that feeds you isn't a good idea. They started with ICD because ICD is a smallish company with little profit margin (superior guns for lower prices... wonder why ) and would be easy to defeat. No court settlement though. Then AKA, next up of course because its the next smallest, and no court settlement. AGD just quit to stay out of it. In short, while SP is winning, they've never really WON in court.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:08 PM #55
King of Chaos
Back after 10 long years

King of Chaos is a Supporting Member
King of Chaos is BST Trusted
I just say since SP wasnt the one to invent it, sueing others over it is just plain wrong. And kingman doesnt sue makers of spyder clones, if that was the case then NPS and BE would be in a ****load of trouble. Bud Orr has the autococker patented, he just doesnt give a got damn. All he cared about was other companyings using his trademark.

Main Gun- Empire Axe
Back Up Gun- Gloss Red DM4
Back up Back up Gun - Etek 1
Future Gun- J4 Torque

My Feedback