FOCKNASTY

has been a member for 10 years
Kfocker plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Kfocker plays in the MiLP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBdaMan View Post

Twink has a small penis.
Only thing this man has ever said that was true.

Kfocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:19 PM #131
Kfocker
FOCKNASTY

Kfocker plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Owen View Post
LotsofStuffHereSoIShortenItUpAbit

~J~
Were you not the one who was Gator Golf's "Pro" and if a player won a one Vs one the player got the pros jersey in late 2000s (2007-2009) some time. I think TK told me about that but I could be wrong.
I started playing at the end of the era that most of the people in this form topic started to hang up their jerseys, and I do miss the old school "chess" type of play but the newer style of Xball does have its advantages and excitement for a faster pace game.

+ Curtis still plays every now and then, and he got Don Blackford to play a few weeks ago it was a really fun day of play.

Last edited by Kfocker : 12-14-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 PM #132
BARBdaMan
Doesn't roll on Shabbos..

BARBdaMan is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfocker View Post
Were you not the one who was Gator Golf's "Pro" and if a player won a one Vs one the player got the pros jersey in late 2000s (2007-2009) some time. I think TK told me about that but I could be wrong.
I started playing at the end of the era that most of the people in this form topic started to hang up their jerseys, and I do miss the old school "chess" type of play but the newer style of Xball does have its advantages and excitement for a faster pace game.

+ Curtis still plays every now and then, and he got Don Blackford to play a few weeks ago.
If you just tuned in, welcome to Arkansas. I'm Barb and I'll be broadcasting live as we undergo the 2012 Arkansas revelation classic.
BARBdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 PM #133
Justin Owen

Justin Owen owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Justin Owen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Justin Owen supports DLX Technology
Justin Owen owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Kfocker:

Awesome avatar!
Couldn't have been me during THOSE years, but it sounds like me from earlier. I moved to New Orleans in June of 2006 and I don't think I've even been back to Arkansas since that time (not that I recall at least). Definitely haven't played paintball in Arkansas since then.
Was Gator Golf just off the interstate there just South of LR? During my intern year (2005) I used to head out to a place (I don't remember the name) sometimes on Sunday afternoons and play - it had the advantage of being very close to my home and I could get in some R&R easily in the midst of a busy schedule...it was mostly coaching, small pick up games and there were a few "serious" players but nothing major. I used to take a bunch of my old jerseys and give them to players that shot me. So yes that sounds like something I would do and did. I think there were more church youth group kids that ended up with jerseys than anything else (best ever was a 13 or 14 year old girl that gogged me cold. It was her first time playing. I loved giving her a jersey...she chose an old yellow JT jersey).
Sorry for the length. Typing is a curse.
~J~

Last edited by Justin Owen : 12-14-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Justin Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 PM #134
Kfocker
FOCKNASTY

Kfocker plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
That sounds cool. I was not sure of the years or time frame I just herd TK talking about a while ago and kinda guess when it was.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 AM #135
Justin Owen

Cool.
The last "major" tournament I took part in was Chicago PSP in 2003. That's the event that completely turned me, personally, off to tournament paintball's new direction (small fields, short games, essentially gunfighting). It's all preference but I feel like it cheapened the quality of the play and the worth of individual games. I also think it narrowed the gap between the better players and the not-so-much (less advantageous to experienced players). Also alienated the players who were responsible for tournament growth in the first place, by making upper level tournament play almost cost prohibitive. But hey, just my opinion.
I did go to Texas with I THINK the Landsharks once right around that time ... We won second or third place, I don't remember. That may actually have been my last tournament. Man I am getting old and senile.
Cool to hear Curtis' name. He was always such a great guy. I loved, LOVED my time at PBA and really hold on to some fantastic memories.
~J~
Old 12-16-2012, 04:16 AM #136
moseefus
a little pump love

moseefus is a founding member
moseefus owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I remember that Lions Den tourney Justin, had totally forgot about Rob haven't heard his name in forever. Was a treat to meet your dad btw.

Was in Memphis first weekend of December and brought back memories of the Memphis Indoor. Those were good times.

The grips on this thing are like Crisco met teflon coated polished glass in a race to make the most things slip right the hell off.
moseefus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM #137
Stepchild
You wanna know why......?

Stepchild is a Moderator
Stepchild is a Supporting Member
Stepchild is a founding member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Ed View Post
Who on here was playing back in those days besides me, twink, and mick?
I still poke my head in every once in a while to see what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Owen View Post
Cool.
The last "major" tournament I took part in was Chicago PSP in 2003. That's the event that completely turned me, personally, off to tournament paintball's new direction (small fields, short games, essentially gunfighting). It's all preference but I feel like it cheapened the quality of the play and the worth of individual games. I also think it narrowed the gap between the better players and the not-so-much (less advantageous to experienced players). Also alienated the players who were responsible for tournament growth in the first place, by making upper level tournament play almost cost prohibitive. But hey, just my opinion.
I did go to Texas with I THINK the Landsharks once right around that time ... We won second or third place, I don't remember. That may actually have been my last tournament. Man I am getting old and senile.
Cool to hear Curtis' name. He was always such a great guy. I loved, LOVED my time at PBA and really hold on to some fantastic memories.
~J~
Ohhhh, Dr. Justin Owen it's been a while. Hope all is well. The "new" (not really so new anymore) format is actually a lot of fun once you get use to it and play it a while. I use to feel the same way about xball as you do but then I stated playing and coaching it. I will agree it does take some of the skills that we learned playing 10 man or even 7 man out of the game but it also adds new skills that need to be mastered as well.

www.blitzpaintball.net
www.GISportz.com
Stepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:50 PM #138
Justin Owen

Whassup Vickie!!!
:-)

No doubt you are correct. But I think the high turnover of tournament players for the ["not so new", touché] format coupled with the relative decline in tournament popularity across the board suggests that the format has actually HURT the sport. There is no doubt that competition paintball today is nowhere near as viable an entity as it was twelve or thirteen years ago. Reasons are complex, but can be over-simplified to two main reasons: (1) technological explosion and cost associated with the incredible volume of paint necessary to maintain a competitive edge, and (2) stale format which sees essentially the same basic field design/layout from one tournament to the next and does not captivate players long-term, or generate outside interest.

In effect, it costs way more to play, and gets boring quickly.

And paintball will NEVER, and I do mean NEVER EVER EVER be a spectator sport like NBA or NFL. If u wanna grow it, gotta cater to the players first and foremost. That's how it grew in the first place.

(For a case study, look at the MSPA - oldest and most successful tournament series in the world which offered cheap entry fees, varied fields, and good competition with only cheap plastic trophies for winning. A small faction of outspoken players wanted to "evolve" it to give prizes, play on air all fields, etc. and they were successful in effecting this change after years of debate against people like myself and my father. MSPA was literally dead as roast duck two seasons after "bringing the series into the mainstream."). :-(

But that is a much longer post for another time and place.

Ahhhh yes, the Memphis Indoor. What a GREAT venue. Also always really enjoyed the Splat-1 indoor, even after the pros stopped attending...it was always so much fun.

When I used to cover the tournaments for the magazines, a fair amount of space was dedicated to discussing the various fields. That kind of variety was always a really fun part of playing (the mounds fields at Pittsburgh, or the original hyperball field in Chicago or what about their ladder field or snake field?!?!? Awesome) the different tournaments. It was fun to show up at LA and see what new treats had been dreamed up. Or the World Cup with TEN radically different ten man fields!!!

Ahhhh yes, those were the days.

~J~

Moseefus, I forgot to respond bro...my apologies.
Obviously, that tournament holds dear memories. I always really cherished playing with the old man (we still play together occasionally, although obviously not for tournament ball). He's quite the character and I'm proud to be his son. Thanks for the kind words - I will pass them on to him.
~J~

Last edited by Justin Owen : 12-19-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 AM #139
greenflea
Photographer

i still have a lot of pictures of the apc and other games on the yahoo group i started back when i stopped playing as much and started taking pictures..

you can go to the group and see lots of old pics...

maybe i'll have to invest in a good camera and start this up again....hmmmmmm

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/...llphotography/

enjoy,
dougan
greenflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:13 AM #140
dmckeller

What a walk down memory lane!! And to see that the name Point Blank is still used today is amazing to me. I remember sitting at my computer at work designing the Team Point Blank logo. I think it was Dale who had the banner made.
I'm thinking of making a return since my son is wanting to play. I love sharing my old stories with him.
I still have the original fire and ice Jerseys for Team Point Blank #51.

I live in Lakeland,TN now. And ironically my home is about a mile from Memphis Paintball. That airball field taunts me daily 😊.

Doug McKeller
dmckeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:41 AM #141
tsp8ntball

Good to hear from you, Doug.
http://paintballgamesofarkansas.info
tsp8ntball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:49 PM #142
twinkie69
Point Blank

twinkie69 is a founding member
twinkie69 donated to help Peyton Trent
Doug McKeller, do you happen to have any old Point Blank pictures? I'm working on making a history of Point Blank so that some of the newer guys can see where the team came from and see how long the team has been around, and who some of the older players were. Thanks.
"SPOONS MAKE PEOPLE FAT IN THE SAME WAY GUNS KILL PEOPLE."
twinkie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:56 PM #143
LittleBigHorn01
Trevor "Reno"

Fracture Paintball Team out of Wild World was the best team in the nation.
LittleBigHorn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:42 PM #144
BARBdaMan
Doesn't roll on Shabbos..

BARBdaMan is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigHorn01 View Post
....sounds legit.
BARBdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:46 AM #145
LittleBigHorn01
Trevor "Reno"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBdaMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigHorn01 View Post
....sounds legit.
It's really not... But... I am glad to of had the experience of playing with some great teams like JL and Extol. Those are the only teams I remember besides the group of kids I was apart of.
LittleBigHorn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups