Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM #1
abernar350

abernar350 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
abernar350 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
abernar350 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Firebolt or TechT L7 Bolt for eXTCy

I am going to replace my QEV and bolt. But which one is better? The Firebolt or the TechT.
abernar350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 PM #2
deltapaintball
Josh Foote (R)

deltapaintball is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
deltapaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
deltapaintball supports our troops
deltapaintball supports DLX Technology
Firebolt - Can't beat an upgrade straight from the people who made the eXTCy.
deltapaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM #3
fishballer06
ShockerRepair

has been a member for 10 years
fishballer06 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
fishballer06 donated to help Peyton Trent
fishballer06 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
fishballer06 supports DLX Technology
fishballer06 supports Shocker RSX
Firebolt. For the same reason.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM #4
soccerstud_2009
I LIKE TURTLES

soccerstud_2009 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerstud_2009 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
soccerstud_2009 plays in the APPA D4 division
Iv been curious on which bolt to get as well, a ton of people swear by the techt bolt but the other half loves the firebolt. Any reason as to why you like the firebolt besides it being gog made?

Last edited by soccerstud_2009 : 01-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.
soccerstud_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM #5
pbstar1987

pbstar1987 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
I personally could not tell much of a difference from the stock bolt to the firebolt while using it. Both bolts are proven in the field and are a nice upgrade. When I look at an upgrade for a bolt I want a much lighter mass to reduce the operating pressure and the kick. The L7 accomplishes this much more efficiently in my experience than the firebolt. It does come at a premium price, but you get what you pay for. There is a significant reduction in recoil and makes the shot smooth, while lowing your pressure and dwell needed to fire your gun. You cannot go wrong with either choice, but the L7 is superior in my opinion.
pbstar1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM #6
soccerstud_2009
I LIKE TURTLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbstar1987
I personally could not tell much of a difference from the stock bolt to the firebolt while using it. Both bolts are proven in the field and are a nice upgrade. When I look at an upgrade for a bolt I want a much lighter mass to reduce the operating pressure and the kick. The L7 accomplishes this much more efficiently in my experience than the firebolt. It does come at a premium price, but you get what you pay for. There is a significant reduction in recoil and makes the shot smooth, while lowing your pressure and dwell needed to fire your gun. You cannot go wrong with either choice, but the L7 is superior in my opinion.
This seems to be a reoccurring answer on different forums, price wise I can pick up an L7 for the same price as the firebolt. Seems like from what everyone has said I will receive the most "bang for my buck" out of the L7.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 AM #7
Punisher068

L7 for sure,all my electro Ions have them.Low kick,faster cycle,more air efficiant.They do have a special orings for the bolt stop,order a kit or 2 extra with your bolt if you buy direct from TechT as most shops dont carry them
Ion w\Axe Relay
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Our teams home field PBN thread
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4292217
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM #8
cpuwhiz22

I don't recall who it was that compared them all, but I recall a thread where someone tried the L7, Firebolt, and DW Hollow Point. The conclusion was that there wasn't much noticeable difference between the stock bolt and any upgraded bolt, but of the three the hollow point was most noticeable. The author said that the Firebolt was essentially the same as the stock bolt, and the L7 was not noticeably different. I had the same debate and I went with the hollow point since it is a different design. Works well, but cant use it with small bores. It is slightly larger than the stock bolt and require a minimum of .680-.681 bore.
cpuwhiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM #9
neo2000x

neo2000x supports our troops
Firebolt weighs half of the stock bolt (stock is 32g). I've been able to drop my reg pressure to the 140psi range with the Firebolt. I believe with the stock bolt it was around 180psi.

The L7 bolt is in the 7g range and consensus is that it's the best bolt out there. It's also the most expensive bolt $40+ where as you can get a used Firebolt for ~$15.
neo2000x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM #10
soccerstud_2009
I LIKE TURTLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo2000x
Firebolt weighs half of the stock bolt (stock is 32g). I've been able to drop my reg pressure to the 140psi range with the Firebolt. I believe with the stock bolt it was around 180psi.

The L7 bolt is in the 7g range and consensus is that it's the best bolt out there. It's also the most expensive bolt $40+ where as you can get a used Firebolt for ~$15.
Did you notice much of a change in "smoothness" going from the stock bolt to the firebolt
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM #11
neo2000x

I definitely noticed a difference in smoothness and sound. You'll notice a 40psi drop with any gun.

For me, the Bolt upgrade was better than the QEV. The QEV allows for higher rates of fire (how often are you shooting more than 17bps?) and lower dwell for efficiency (I play rec ball and get unlimited air), however a lighter bolt results in a lower operating pressure and smoother shot, which helps with barrel rise and consistency.

I believe the TechT L7 gets you in the 100-120psi range.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 PM #12
Killa Daddy Of Two
Killa Daddy of Two

Killa Daddy Of Two is playing at Living Legends V
Killa Daddy Of Two owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Killa Daddy Of Two has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Killa Daddy Of Two is attending Decay of Nations VI
there is a significant difference between a stock bolt, and the L7 bolt. the L7 is 7gms, and it allows me to pull my dwell very low. Pressure-wise I believe it is shooting around 100-110 psi. Not only that, because the pressure is lowered so much, the sound output is far less as well. It is light enough, that my non-paintball playing girl friend tell that there is a huge difference. The L7 makes a huge difference.
Killa Daddy Of Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 PM #13
soccerstud_2009
I LIKE TURTLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Daddy Of Two
there is a significant difference between a stock bolt, and the L7 bolt. the L7 is 7gms, and it allows me to pull my dwell very low. Pressure-wise I believe it is shooting around 100-110 psi. Not only that, because the pressure is lowered so much, the sound output is far less as well. It is light enough, that my non-paintball playing girl friend tell that there is a huge difference. The L7 makes a huge difference.
Just picked up an L7

Anyone know a good dwell with just the L7, I haven't got around to the qev yet.

Last edited by soccerstud_2009 : 01-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.
soccerstud_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 AM #14
neo2000x

Dwell setting is dependent on the gun. Every gun has different tolerances.

Lower your dwell to the point that the bolt does not fully cycle when dry firing. Double it from that value and shoot a stream of paint and see if there is any drop off at high rates of fire. If there is not, you can lower it and retest. Too low of a dwell shows at high rates of fire. Through trial and error you can find the best dwell setting. Keep in mind though that a longer dwell is more gentle on paint so if you are playing in cold conditions or with fragile paint, you may want to increase the dwell a little from its lowest possible setting.

If you don't have air to test, a safe place to set it is 1/2 of the current value.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM #15
Punisher068

Id add a QEV before messing with the dwell too much,it will affect cycling and efficiancy alot more than a bolt alone
I tend to leave my dwell a little higher than forums recommend but I use full ramp mode when I play at outlaw fields to prevent dropoff
If you have or switch to a Virtue board make sure to see notes here on the forum,the L7 and Virtue redefined board(currently sold)have minor compatibility issues,just make sure to match the right dwell with the Virtue board
Ion w\Axe Relay
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Our teams home field PBN thread
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4292217
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM #16
soccerstud_2009
I LIKE TURTLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher068
Id add a QEV before messing with the dwell too much,it will affect cycling and efficiancy alot more than a bolt alone
I tend to leave my dwell a little higher than forums recommend but I use full ramp mode when I play at outlaw fields to prevent dropoff
If you have or switch to a Virtue board make sure to see notes here on the forum,the L7 and Virtue redefined board(currently sold)have minor compatibility issues,just make sure to match the right dwell with the Virtue board
I typically shoot psp only. I will most likely pick up a qev here shortly. Thanks for all of the help guys.