PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 PM #1
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter

has been a member for 10 years
Teach me about the lifespan of electros

Simply put, I've been at this hobby for probably 15 years, and I've used an electro maybe twice. I won't say I didn't like it, because if I didn't, I wouldn't be here looking for some advice. But I think what seems to have kept me away from them for so long is the perception that they depreciate in value very quickly.

I'm a vintage gear guy. I've always had fun chasing down o-rings for VM-68s, or springs for Tippmann Pro-Ams, but I can do that knowing that those markers for the most part aren't going to lose much more value than they already have.

But I find myself looking at something like the new Shocker and thinking "where are all the old Shockers? What about the old Angels I remember everyone obsessing over?" Can anyone get parts anymore? Or do these guns become formerly $1000 MSRP hunks of junk after only a five or six years?

I'm curious about the long term viability of an electro marker. I'd love one. I'm getting older and lazier and really don't have the patience these days for fussing with trying to clean any number of older markers. I'd like something modern.

But are there companies out there supporting their old models? Will DYE still sell parts for a DM14 in 2020 or will that marker be worthless junk?

Teach me, oh children of the new age. What do I have to look forward to as an electro owner over the long term?

THE MOB
Western NY's Least Serious Paintball Team
Be indifferent about us on Faecebøøk
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2016, 10:20 PM #2
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Fubarius is a Moderator
Fubarius supports our troops
Well, on Dye's site they seem to have parts going back to the DM6 for the DM series, and the PMR 09 on the Proto line (alas, no love for my old PMR 07).

So they do support the old stuff, just not the really old stuff. But sometimes you can still source parts from other places. Most solenoids are pretty standard industrial parts for example, and an o-ring is an o-ring.

Prices do drop considerably. I picked up a 98 Angel LED for $200 a number of years ago, and I've seen them cheaper since. Still works pretty darn good considering. On those if the built in battery goes bad it's tricky to find a replacement, but fans have found workarounds.

Others can get collectible.

Nunquam emere possis quae facitis
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:03 AM #3
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Well, on Dye's site they seem to have parts going back to the DM6 for the DM series, and the PMR 09 on the Proto line (alas, no love for my old PMR 07).

So they do support the old stuff, just not the really old stuff. But sometimes you can still source parts from other places. Most solenoids are pretty standard industrial parts for example, and an o-ring is an o-ring.

Prices do drop considerably. I picked up a 98 Angel LED for $200 a number of years ago, and I've seen them cheaper since. Still works pretty darn good considering. On those if the built in battery goes bad it's tricky to find a replacement, but fans have found workarounds.

Others can get collectible.
Fubarius, glad to see a fellow MCBer over here as well.

I've been tossing around the idea of opting for something older and used but still perfectly functional, but I am concerned about things like eyes and boards. Am I relegated to parts-gun hunting with stuff like that, just as I would on any old marker? Or is some of this stuff compatible across makes and models?

I see that I can buy entire repair kits for old Dye markers going back to the DM9. That's a major thumbs up from me. A used DM9 and a parts kit is more up my alley than buying something outright new.

THE MOB

Last edited by d4rksabre : 04-05-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:16 AM #4
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Soul06 supports Ninja Paintball
Most of the high end marker companies are the same when it comes to parts. You aren't out looking for a small part like an o-ring or detent. You buy a kit that contains multiples of all the o-rings and other small replaceable parts. And for the most part that likely all you will ever need to change

Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA - SC Village, CA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:57 AM #5
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Most of the high end marker companies are the same when it comes to parts. You aren't out looking for a small part like an o-ring or detent. You buy a kit that contains multiples of all the o-rings and other small replaceable parts. And for the most part that likely all you will ever need to change
That's what I'm seeing when I look around. Basically, buy a marker and buy the biggest parts kit that they sell and hope your parts kit keeps the marker running for 5-10 years.

THE MOB
Old 04-06-2016, 08:35 AM #6
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Soul06 supports Ninja Paintball
Most markers now will work for 5-10 years easily anyway. I think you have the wrong idea about the longevity of markers today. They are well built and will last. You'll likely only have to change a couple o-rings and detents at best. 10 years is a relatively easy mark to reach for them today

Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA - SC Village, CA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:57 AM #7
(dr)

IMO electros are only devalued by the fact that new versions are released more frequently. Look at Vikings, it took them years to come down because they don't have a new model every World Cup like Dye does with DMs.

I say just enjoy it and get yourself a cheap, well made electro and an Oring kit.
(dr) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:26 PM #8
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter

Good stuff here guys. You may be calming my nerves about making the jump. I appreciate it!

THE MOB
Old 04-06-2016, 07:14 PM #9
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Fubarius is a Moderator
Fubarius supports our troops
You may want to look into a more vintage electro. The already mentioned AKA Viking (and the closed bolt version, the Excalibur) keep up with just about everything new in every category except weight (yeah, they're bricks, but still light compared to a VM). They have a loyal fan base, the company that made them was bought by the company that did most of the custom work on them, so service and parts are still generally available, and the price as pretty much stabilized. Not too hard to pick up a used one and sell it for nearly the exact same price later. Prices range from $400 for a clean bone stock model, with the custom milled ones fetching up to twice that.

My 04 Viking, which I've never taken apart, still shoots great. Heck, had a 2 year stretch where I didn't even have to adjust the velocity. My go to electro. Only problem is the gun was made right in the middle of the ROF wars, so it's default mode is uncapped semi. Most of the normal walk-on play around here is going to a capped semi, so I may have to upgrade the board at some point (or just run a revi on the thing, that tends to keep the ROF below the limit).

Nunquam emere possis quae facitis
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:56 PM #10
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
You may want to look into a more vintage electro. The already mentioned AKA Viking (and the closed bolt version, the Excalibur) keep up with just about everything new in every category except weight (yeah, they're bricks, but still light compared to a VM). They have a loyal fan base, the company that made them was bought by the company that did most of the custom work on them, so service and parts are still generally available, and the price as pretty much stabilized. Not too hard to pick up a used one and sell it for nearly the exact same price later. Prices range from $400 for a clean bone stock model, with the custom milled ones fetching up to twice that.

My 04 Viking, which I've never taken apart, still shoots great. Heck, had a 2 year stretch where I didn't even have to adjust the velocity. My go to electro. Only problem is the gun was made right in the middle of the ROF wars, so it's default mode is uncapped semi. Most of the normal walk-on play around here is going to a capped semi, so I may have to upgrade the board at some point (or just run a revi on the thing, that tends to keep the ROF below the limit).
Your vote of confidence for AKA is noted. I've got a Sidewinder reg on a low pressure A5 project and when I needed to order parts for it a while back I was able to do so despite their being in the middle of transition to new ownership by Destructive Customs.

I think I have a better idea of what I want to do now.

THE MOB
Old 04-07-2016, 04:05 PM #11
Moore92
The Beard is Strong

plays in the NXL
Moore92 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Just fixed a "hopeless" 05 RL Intimidator, now it shoots like new. They last a while if properly maintained. Usually it's just generic parts, orings, barbs, hoses, screws. Stuff you can get anywhere. If it's a marker specific part, usually online stores have the old stock in the warehouse, they just don't post it online. You just call and ask.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:55 PM #12
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter

Any thoughts on the G6R? Prices on those don't seem too bad.

THE MOB
Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 AM #13
Moore92
The Beard is Strong

plays in the NXL
Moore92 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My buddy just bought a g6r from someone at our field. $300. Its a sweet gun. He loves it.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:27 PM #14
BallsAcrossUrNose

I own a Few markers from 05-O7
Shocker 07 NXT Dynasty Team Gun from Angel Highly Upped
Angel O5 Speed bought new
25k Alias Team Infamous Laysoa Owned
DM 5 Baltimore Trauma Team Gun
All still Shoot Lazers with some Dow 33 Change out O-rings to new Colored ones

Last edited by BallsAcrossUrNose : 04-10-2016 at 03:31 PM.
BallsAcrossUrNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:45 AM #15
Texas Shockers
DAMN were in a tight spot

Texas Shockers is playing at Living Legends V
Texas Shockers is for the Gunfight
Texas Shockers is for the Gunfight
Texas Shockers has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Texas Shockers is attending Decay of Nations VI
the old shockers (sft and nxt) are still pretty strong

there is a giant shocker community on nation and parts are usually pretty easy to find

you can pick one up from anywhere to 100 to 500 depending on what condition and features you want. with a sprung bolt (eigin or pooty) it's pretty much a heavy luxe

cheap gear
Texas Shockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM #16
jonotwist
MORE ENTHUSIASM

jonotwist is playing at Living Legends X
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
Any thoughts on the G6R? Prices on those don't seem too bad.
if youre looking at a g6r the only concern you might have for "hard to find parts"
would be the solenoid, eyes and harness.

for the most part its no issue. due to the deign of the gun and the
way it pulls apart. its a solid shooter especially at the price it can be had for,

"Sometimes it's not whether you win or lose. Sometimes it's how many pages you add to the rulebook."

We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:11 PM #17
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter

Thanks for all the help guys. Just sold a Phantom and some other stuff on eBay. I think an AKA is in my future because I'm still just a nerd who like weird guns.

THE MOB
Old 04-15-2016, 05:25 PM #18
theflash

theflash is a founding member
My 04 Angel speed continues to be my main gun and it flies. Replaced the LPR with the AKA SCM, have a predator board with 9v, put an Eclipse SL3 reg on it - so obviously don't have to worry about shims or proprietary battery. Even the ram I can fix myself with the only wear item as o-rings. I'm still using the stock valve stem... lol it's 12 years old and still seals, but I can make that myself if I ever need to. Have a custom delrin hammer in there for even lower kick with an adjustable valve spring set-up I made myself. There's really nothing that can go wrong that I can't just change an o-ring or mill/machine myself with minimal effort. But really, I haven't had to do anything but o-rings. Still on original solenoid, but I've already figured out which ones I can buy right now if I need one. Just do your research.

And seriously, compared to some of my other guns it's so worth it. The consistency and therefore accuracy is world's difference for me. There are tonnes of old Angels around. I remember the first gun I ever used was a VM-68 at a b-day party!

Last edited by theflash : 04-15-2016 at 05:38 PM.
theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:35 AM #19
d4rksabre
Dr. Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflash View Post
My 04 Angel speed continues to be my main gun and it flies. Replaced the LPR with the AKA SCM, have a predator board with 9v, put an Eclipse SL3 reg on it - so obviously don't have to worry about shims or proprietary battery. Even the ram I can fix myself with the only wear item as o-rings. I'm still using the stock valve stem... lol it's 12 years old and still seals, but I can make that myself if I ever need to. Have a custom delrin hammer in there for even lower kick with an adjustable valve spring set-up I made myself. There's really nothing that can go wrong that I can't just change an o-ring or mill/machine myself with minimal effort. But really, I haven't had to do anything but o-rings. Still on original solenoid, but I've already figured out which ones I can buy right now if I need one. Just do your research.

And seriously, compared to some of my other guns it's so worth it. The consistency and therefore accuracy is world's difference for me. There are tonnes of old Angels around. I remember the first gun I ever used was a VM-68 at a b-day party!
I miss my VM-68 I ran 3 bottles on it.

Angels have the weird nostalgia value for me. I see an Angel and it takes me back to being a kid in the late 90s and reading about them in Paintball Magazine. The Angel LCD might as well have been Thor's Hammer.

THE MOB
Old 04-20-2016, 03:12 AM #20
automagsrule

I still use the pm6 in my sig as my primary electro. Keeping it running for the past decade has been pretty easy, other than the eyes are starting to take a bit of effort to find when they go, but a lot of people convert to wire eyes instead of the stock ribbons and then it's much simpler to find.

The field I play at a number of old 2nd Gen timmies and aka guns and such still see pretty regular use and no one complains about any problems with keeping their gun maintained and shooting.
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:38 AM #21
jtguy2269

Parts for aka are fairly easy to come by still. If you need someone to service your marker for you at any point look at the community rather then aka. they will get parts out fast, but will be a nightmare for service/repair.
jtguy2269 is offline   Reply With Quote