opinions and suggestions????
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2002, 04:46 PM #2
paintballrv
Mid West

paintballrv is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
I was there as a player, it was fun, it would have been better if they had both fields would have been out side, paint was good, so was fills,

over all it was fun, (even though we did not do that well, but we were missing some players)

friday night, and the trip to mcdonalds and to the field with purdue was fun too.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:10 AM #3
Piccolo

Piccolo is a founding member
Piccolo supports Ninja Paintball
I was there as a player for Iowa State University, the event was excellent, the indoor field was not the best, but that might have been due to how my squad was playing. Overall had a great time, played alot of good games, met alot of great people.

Congratulations to Purdue for winning and Michigan State for Sportsmanship

and well congrats to Karen for winning the arm wrestling match and then tripping over the field....
Old 04-10-2002, 02:15 PM #4
Piccolo

forgot to ask what happened to your player that was hurt in that last game against us on the outdoor field?? This is to the Whitewater Player
Old 04-10-2002, 04:08 PM #5
paintballrv
Mid West

paintballrv is a founding member
he is lucky, it turns out he only sprained it, so he will be back this weekend at practice. probably not play alot though until it is less sore.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:11 PM #6
Piccolo

thats good to hear though, he really went down hard, I was standing in the dead box and it just looked really bad how he fell.

Tell him the ISU guys hope he is ready to go at Nationals, this time we will not play as nice.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:50 PM #7
CoolGSak

It was fun, but there were a few problems that I saw.

1) A Freezer but no ice. Yes, it was one of our Whitewater guys who tripped in a large pothole on the outdoor field. The field staff had to chill CO2 tanks to put on his ankle because they had no ice in their freezer, why not?!?

2) Lack of concessions. Again, they have a freezer and fridge, but no food, only gatorade and water. 100 hungry players is a great way to make some money on food. It's not like there were any fast food places to run to inbetween games, the place is out in the boondocks.

3) Refs not doing paintchecks. I noticed this in our games and many others. Unless the head ref on the field ordered his other refs to go do a paint check, the other refs would not do them. I don't know why they would not do paintchecks, but many hits were missed that day because of it.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:24 PM #8
Piccolo

yeah the lack of food was noticable, lucky for us Iowa State players we brough plenty of food and drink.

as for the reffing I thought they did a very tight job and got to calls very fast as compared to some college events in the past
Old 04-14-2002, 12:11 AM #9
Tripwire
Unemployed

Food was an issue, I know

We had tried to have a pizza joint out there selling fresh baked pies, but he pulled out on us at the last second. Im sorry for the lack of food, but there was a lunch break with enough time to run into the local subway, mcdonalds, or BK.

My main concern was to have good reffs, and I think Backlash did one hell of a job.

It was a great tournament in my opinion, Purdue, UC, and MSU played amazing. And I look forward to playing everybody at Nationals in two weeks.

And I hope the UWW guy with the ankle is ok, I thought the field was void of holes.
later
Berowski

My feedback: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=180416

Humans rule, dolphins suck it!
Im saving the world!
Old 04-14-2002, 11:28 AM #10
Piccolo

well no field can be completely flat, and ankles do get turned, just stepping wrong
Old 04-14-2002, 05:33 PM #11
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
I walked the area right after the UWW guy sprained his ankle to make sure there wasnt' anything that would present a danger to anyone else, and there wasn't. Just grass, about as even as grass gets.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
Old 04-14-2002, 06:21 PM #12
Tripwire
Unemployed

Well, talk about twisted ankles...

After playing the mound field at challenge park today, I would say all teams should bring there own cooler full of ice. The field was an accident waiting to happen. It looks like it got really wet, people played it making it all dimpled, and then it dried like that. I think Illinios State can second my thoughts. Anyway it a field that people will have to be extra carfull on.

My feedback: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=180416

Humans rule, dolphins suck it!
Im saving the world!
Old 04-14-2002, 06:28 PM #13
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
Well...

Rumor has it that the mound fields will be ixnayed by the time Nationals rolls around, probably in favor of Ultimate Air. I'll look into it.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 04-14-2002, 08:30 PM #14
Hell Phoenix

Quote:
Originally posted by raehl
I walked the area right after the UWW guy sprained his ankle to make sure there wasnt' anything that would present a danger to anyone else, and there wasn't. Just grass, about as even as grass gets.

- Chris
I am going to have to call you out on this one Chris. There was a depression on the field that presented a danger. I can even tell you exactly where it was. It was about 5 feet straight out from the center flag towards the corn field. It was about 3 feet wide and about 2 or 3 inches lower than the land around it. Im sorry, but up here in Wisconsin, we dont call ground that is lower than the other ground even...but that is us in Wisconsin. Maybe you would like to check that out again, because Im sure that unless you have your eyes closed you will find it (but I really dont recommend going out there with you eyes closed...you might fall on the "even" ground).

As to the rest of the tournament...I thought that for the most part it was run quite well. The lack of food was dissappointing...but you cant ask for everything I thought that overall the reffing was pretty good. I have to agree that the paintchecks were quite slow but it wasnt too bad. I agree that the indoor field wasnt the greatest....it just echoed so much that you couldnt hear anything that your teammates were saying. The outdoor field was very nice though. Overall the tourney was run nicely...thanks for the good time everyone. See you all at nationals. BTW....the ankle isnt too bad...it is still really sore and a little swollen yet. I am going to live so you guys better watch out

Later
Charlie
Old 04-14-2002, 09:25 PM #15
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
I'll have to take your word on that one. I walked the area, mainly looking for holes, bumps and debris, the kind of stuff you could step on or in and turn an ankle. I didn't notice the depression, but that's not surprising since I wasn't looking for that kind of thing either. I think the kind of even you're talking about isn't the same even I was.

But I should point out that I'm from WI

- Chris

Old 04-14-2002, 11:55 PM #16
Hell Phoenix

I know you are from WI....but I forgot since you went to school in IL....my bad It wasnt a like a traditional hole....it was kinda crater like....probably didnt realize thats what did it. Sorry for jumping on your back...it just kinda pissed me off at the time. See ya at nationals. Peace out.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:24 PM #17
MooreSt8

good

All in all, I thought that it was a pretty excellent tournament. Of course, it's only my second college tournament I've attended.

Couple of things:

1) The paint wasn't all that great. I was getting some CRAZY shots off that stuff. Perfectly fit to a freak, and out to distance, it wasn't too consistant. Broke very well tho.

2) Paintchecks. I'm sure you remember the Purdue Gold vs. MSU Green game that ended in mutual elimination. The game would not have ended like that had our player recieved a paintcheck from a ref when he was calling for it.

3) That outdoor field was a little scary to play, I thought. I really did see a huge divit out there by the lay down cone on the 50 yard line. Our players wouldn't go near it.

Other than that, everything was great.

Steve
Michigan State
Old 04-15-2002, 09:37 PM #18
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
A player is eliminated when they are hit. A player is responsible for checking obvious hits and calling themselves out if they are hit in an obvious location. If you advance or shoot after you have received an obvious hit, you should be one-for-oned.

What does this mean if you feel paint hit you when you're bunkering someone, for example? You have a choice:

1) You can call yourself out.
2) Hope it's a bounce and continue playing.

If you do the latter, and it turns out it did break, you'll get the one for one. Obviously, if you're the last player left on the field, you'll probably do #2 - assuming you don't want to risk giving the other team the hang if you're wrong (i.e., if there's 5 seconds left and they're not going to get it - if there's 60, doesn't much matter.) Otherwise you'll probably go with number one. Kinda like in the NBA, where taking the foul is acceptable when you're down a few points at the end of the game and really need the time on the clock for your comeback.

This is actually the way pretty much all paintball rules are written, although unfortunately not the way they are customarily enforced. We're trying to change that because it prevents a lot of other problems.

I know some people are going to respond with "Why should I call myself out if I may not be hit?"

The response is: "Why should you keep playing if you may be hit?" The rules do *NOT* say "A player is eliminated when they are hit and get around to checking it." Can you procrastinate checking the hit if you want? Sure. Are you going to be penalized if you do and it was a break? Absolutely.

I bring this up because it will matter at Nationals. If you feel a hit, it is YOUR job to make sure it bounced BEFORE continuing to play. If you don't, you'll get a penalty if it broke.

- Chris

Last edited by raehl : 04-15-2002 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:20 AM #19
Purdue00

i thought the tournament ran smoothly, and was very well reffed, kudos to Backlash for a job well done... food would have been nice, but i understand you can't have it all (i spent all my money on paint anyway) good job to all those involved....see you at Nationals.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:16 PM #20
Piccolo

yeah food really is a moot point, who has time to think about food during an event, liquid refreshment on the other hand...
Old 04-18-2002, 05:02 PM #21
harpo568 (Banned)

First of all I wanted to thank everyone for posting on this thread...I've been keeping track of what you have posted and have passed the information on to the field owner.

Being the person that posted this in the first place I wanted to address a couple of issues.
The first being the debate over the "hole" in the sup air field...No it's not a completely flat and smooth field but then again we are not playing on a golf course...yes there are dips in the field but nothing that could possibly be considered a trip hazard.I was out there earlier this week walking that field with the specific purpose of examining the whole thing for exactly that,trip hazards,and I found none.I found areas that are lower than others,like the west end of the field it's a bit lower than the rest and yes the grond does dip ever so slightly near the center and slopes off towards the plowed field just a slight bit.
The other being the lack of food.I personally spent quite a bit of time trying to arrange for a food vendor to be there but got no interest from the local businesses...I will say that for the next tournament that is held the food issue should (hopefully) be resolved.
PLEASE keep posting on here because your voice and opinion is being heard!I hope you all don't think that I am ripping on you all or discounting what you have said I just wanted to address the issues that you all have posted.
thanks!
HARPO
Closed Thread