Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 AM #1
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

has been a member for 10 years
stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Super Screen™...who uses this?

Hey guys,
I've been using pet screening from my local Lowes for netting on my projects for some time now. However, I've been finding it is lacking in certain aspects. It protects against nerfs and paint very effectively, but when it catches the sunlight, it catches 100% glare. Also in the rain it holds a LOT of water. I understand netting will do both of these, but I was told that Super Screen™ has larger holes and thinner strands. I'm looking at the 16/14 Super Screen™ for my next few projects and didn't know if anybody has had any experiences with this screen that they would choose to share.

With armor, I've noticed a sliding scale with what people say about the protection they get. For example the cloroplast armor Dale recommends. People have better luck with a different, thicker version and still don't recommend point blank shots from paint or nerfs. I have the ability to absorb point blank shots from both with the current pet screen from Lowes. Does the Super Screen™ have the same performance or is there a threshold for that screening?

I'm also considering regular paintball-specific netting. Any pros or cons to the Super Screen™ over actual paintball netting?

Any insight from experience would be greatly appreciated
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM #2
kingofbeer62

I have the same problem in my older tank. On my newer one I used the saftey netting off my kids old trampoline and it is much better in both aspects.It is very elastic and will take close up shots.
kingofbeer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM #3
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
For example the cloroplast armor Dale recommends.
ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! ERROR!

cloroplast will not work. It splits and cracks and will have to be replaced after a game or two.

I use 1/4" thick POLYCARBONATE TWIN WALL (the stuff they make safety goggles out of). They use it for pool enclosures, greenhouse roofs, etc. It will take hail, and a hopper of 300 fps paintballs at 4 inches without a crack or split.

Saw a few posts about Super Screen. All second hand info here. They were happy with it in the posts. Also some pics of it installed very baggy and loosely on the frame. The picture also had a LOT of paint breaks on it suggesting to me that it did not have much bounce factor. I think it is a kevlar type material. If so, it would have very little stretch in it. I would mount it on 6"-8" 1/8" dia bunji cord on each corner. Let that work like a trampoline.

yep, pet screen I ordered never got into my tank. The mesh was too fine and I just couldn't see out of it adequately.

I might have a solution to your glare issue. Had a simular issue using paintball netting. When the sun was on it the glare was very annoying. I noticed where I had spray painted it with camo olive and brown did not have the glare. So I did a very LIGHT spray with flat black inside and out and solved the problem. Might work for you but with that fine mesh, it would be easy to wind up with drips and errors so test your technique on a sample or where it won't hurt.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 09-10-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM #4
JESTERTLS

has been a member for 10 years
We used both Pet Screen and Super Screen. I can not tell the difference in them what so ever. As a matter of fact I cant look and tell you which parts are screened with what. I dont know if there is different grades of super screen but if not, then its hype. My partner ordered one roll and after we couldnt tell a difference, it was pet screen from then on. If they do have a thinner screen, then it may be worth it. I'd consider switching if that is the case.

Hit the screen with some flat black paint to knock the sheen down. Helps a little bit.

EDIT: Let me get my partner to check in here. We'll see if the 16/14 was what he ordered.

Double Edit: Coroplast will work. You get the thick stuff. 3/4 inch or better. And you keep it painted so the sun wont deteriorate it. We've had some on one of our tanks for at least four years now, probably longer.

Last edited by JESTERTLS : 09-12-2012 at 09:31 AM.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 AM #5
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

I've heard Solar screen works too. They are Pet and Hail Resistant. May help with the glare too. Not sure pricing compare to the other two.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM #6
Boom Master
Scenario Player

ask about the mesh size. Number of threads per inch.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyScenario Ups