PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 PM #1
GrimXtk
Smiles McGee

has been a member for 10 years
Getting things done / Study thread

This has always plagued me and after finishing my first semester at community college I am getting pretty worried about this. Idk if I got a problem or what but when it takes me something that should take 1-2hours max such as a math homework assignment ends up taking 8 hours to finish instead...

So how do you guys manage to crack down and study and get things done instead of going out to party and what not?
GrimXtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 PM #2
GrimXtk
Smiles McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnctaj View Post
Go to the library and sit in a carrel
My school is 40min away, it has a closing time, and I have to work after my classes. So I can't really do that

Last edited by GrimXtk : 12-13-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 AM #3
pntbllrsprky
I R Baboon

pntbllrsprky is a Supporting Member
My family owns a business, so sometimes I go down there to do homework. Also allows me to bicker with my uncle, which brings a fresh insight for a discussion on certain classes.

Also I have friends that are in similar majors and classes (some the same), and we have study parties (haha just like high school), where we all site in a room on a laptop and work. Sure BS is done, and it takes hours to do usually mundane things. But we still keep each other on task.

Also a big help is to shut off the computers.
pntbllrsprky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 AM #4
GrimXtk
Smiles McGee

yeah my biggest downfall is the computer, but at the same time it sucks because like 90% of my work needs to be done on the computer.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:14 AM #5
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimXtk View Post
yeah my biggest downfall is the computer, but at the same time it sucks because like 90% of my work needs to be done on the computer.
welcome to my world. finals week, and i'm shopping for a monitor for myself and a set of headphones for my brother.

edit: and i'm here, guess that's bad as well.
cww516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 AM #6
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 supports Bob Gurnsey
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cww516 View Post
welcome to my world. finals week, and i'm shopping for a monitor for myself and a set of headphones for my brother.

edit: and i'm here, guess that's bad as well.
I am using my book as a mousepad

I don't mind doing the work if I understand it/ like it. Otherwise it takes forever to get done.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 AM #7
P0ontang 09er (Banned)

I've never really had a problem with time. I typically get an assignment, come home, do it and get it done. I usually finish essays a month in advance and do homework the second I get it.

I know lots of people who procrastinate like hell. I guess I could recommend scheduling a certain amount of time as homework/study time. Yea it sucks knowing that you're going to have to start doing your essay at 2 in the afternoon, but it is college and putting the effort in now will certainly pay off in the long run.

I'm usually on the ball, but of course there is times where I procrastinate. When that happens, I just think of the long run and what I'd like to do with my life....work your *** off now, so you have a shot at a good career and happiness in the future. That usually keeps my on track.

Last edited by P0ontang 09er : 12-14-2009 at 09:25 AM.
P0ontang 09er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 AM #8
I'm inebriated
Wood Grain Grippin

Go to the library, don't take your laptop with you.

If that doesn't work see the adderall thread
I'm inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 PM #9
GrimXtk
Smiles McGee

Yeah I never done adderall but I really thinking about doing it. I wanted to go see if I had ADD or something as well.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 PM #10
Pbmike20
Like a BAWS

Yeah, you might have ADD. Honestly it just takes serious dedication. Im pretty anal about school and take it seriously. I am constantly thinking two steps ahead when it comes to getting my work done. For example, right now I am finishing up an analytical chemistry project, but planning my entire night out by when I'm studying for microbiology, when I'm going to bed, when Im waking up tomorrow, what Im studying when, and where Im meeting my chemistry profesor to talk about his final that I have on thursday. Keep in mind Im doing this in my apartment with 3 other 20/21 year old guys who are currently talking about naked girls, cute butts, and anal sex lol. It just takes dedication, buckle down and get to it.

Oh and **** adderall, its for the weak
Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 PM #11
GrimXtk
Smiles McGee

Idk why, like I want to do good in school but its so hard for me. I just finished my first semester at community college with a 1.75 GPA.

I am aiming for a 3.0 by the time I get 30cred. hours. So I am pretty much looking to get straight A's next semester and I can only afford 1 B. Then I may take 1 or 2 summer classes just to get my GPA up a bit.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:23 AM #12
SlobaltBlah

SlobaltBlah helped look for balloons
^ I did the same thing. I ended up having to write out a schedule in which I had 2 hours where I had no electronics on and just studied/did work alone. My spring semester I ended up with a 3.5 doing it this way which brought my fall semester of a 1.75 up to a cummulative of 2.75 or so (too lazy to look up exact numbers). This semester brought it up even more using the same method, though this spring semester I think I may try a "study" drug a a personal experiment....I have ADD, but I can tone it down some.
PS3 Gamertag: wolfesquire
SlobaltBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:18 AM #13
GrimXtk
Smiles McGee

For me I am just worried.

This semester I would go to school mon/wed at 8am and get home at like 4 and would either work or sleep (I can't fall asleep before midnight), and other days I would just work / feel bleh / procrastinate

Next semester I am doing 5 classes, and right after I would prolly work until 9 so 9-11 I would have to study after a long day.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:26 AM #14
prelic

prelic owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
prelic plays in the APPA D5 division
I used to go up to the library all the time, but I recently just started walking to the closest building and going into a random classroom and doing work there. It's impossible for me not to be productive...and when I'm doing easy work, I either turn the projector on and have something playing in the background, or put music on, sometimes I play it over the speakers in the room rather than using headphones just because I feel like its awesome.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 AM #15
GrimXtk
Smiles McGee

Sounds like a good idea.

I visited my family this last weekend and we got around to pointing out I wake up at 6am to go to school and come home then go to work and get home at like 9 and have to study/do work then. So I am quitting my job
Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 AM #16
corporationpaintball

I can just sit down and work for a few hours straight and get it done, I just get in the zone then I'm burnt out.
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote