PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM #1
Cakeslob

has been a member for 10 years
MRX- Lets talk

2012 Spyder .68cal MRX

Who has one of these bad boys? They have come down nicely in price since they came out which has barely been 3 months.

I know someone here has to have one, and I know everyone here has an opnion about it.

manual link
To those who do not own one, and interested on the inner working, here is a link to the manual which has a schematic diagram most of the parts. manual link

So now that its out and people have it in hand, anyone else want to talk about it?

In reguards to extra magazines, the person working at the badlands (Canadian one) near my house said extra magazines show up in the system so they said that usually means they will have them in stock in about 2 weeks or so, but that is hearsay so take it as you will.

Without yet shooting one yet, (which will reveal more issues most likely with the mags)
my biggest issue with it is the side cocking setup.
Dont get my wrong, I wanted this gun to be side cocking. Whats I didnt want was to jam my thumb between the cocking pin and top thumb rail. Cocking the marker with your left hand, using thumb and index finger to pull it back, your thumb can become painfully wedged between the raid thumb screw and the bolt pin, resulting in garing of the thumb in a painful way.

I know , I know. Words words words , so here is a pic of mine at its current state

Think I've had it a little less than a month.
Cakeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 PM #2
GreenBastard745

GreenBastard745 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ooooh looks nice, havent seen any aroun my dealers yet :p havent heard much either
GreenBastard745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 AM #3
Opteron-O3
Elite Spyder Owner

Opteron-O3 is a Supporting Member
Opteron-O3 supports Ninja Paintball
Pure sex. I've never heard of the MRX until you brought it up! I'm loving the spring loaded feature
Opteron-O3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:02 PM #4
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
ferret15 supports Ninja Paintball
must be end of the world the OG's are returning.

MRX- NEEDS a reg IMO. Find a bottomline reg and tune that bad boy in. Its ready for LP why wait?

My opinion on side cocking is that its ok, I shot a spyder sonix for years and it was fine. In fact i recall getting some wicked bolt jams and just slamming the side cock against a tree to get her back in the game. It was a different time and I was a newb.

Obviously its a "woodsball" gun so i can dig the mag. Not sure if it works for my play style but I know a few people who only shoot when they have to.

"Originally posted by E99_Curt: Shouldn't you be busy making a marker?
"
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 PM #5
Opteron-O3
Elite Spyder Owner

Opteron-O3 is a Supporting Member
Opteron-O3 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret15 View Post
must be end of the world the OG's are returning.

MRX- NEEDS a reg IMO. Find a bottomline reg and tune that bad boy in. Its ready for LP why wait?

My opinion on side cocking is that its ok, I shot a spyder sonix for years and it was fine. In fact i recall getting some wicked bolt jams and just slamming the side cock against a tree to get her back in the game. It was a different time and I was a newb.

Obviously its a "woodsball" gun so i can dig the mag. Not sure if it works for my play style but I know a few people who only shoot when they have to.
I'm back I got myself a vs2 and I'm ready to start up the elite spyder owners group again
Opteron-O3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:48 PM #6
Cakeslob

Quote:
This bad momma is gonna have my centerflag Doolie on it when I get here going, I just want to see how she shoots vanilla before(or if) I put some performance mods on it
Quote:
It is that, just ok. The way theyve done it could have been better in more than one way.
The black round piece on the bolt, it is just a rubber slip on. I have a feeling that I am going to fall off during a game. Underneath it is a cocking pin that threads in, much like all the early spyders with side cocking strikers. I wish it were some kind of AMG style pin with detent, but those seem to bend a lot.

I have no experience with older MR models, but I think the mr2,3,4 had that m4a1 style cocking system so the pin movement was hidden and enclosed. They look exactly like the chaser/eraser cocking system, which I really like and doesnt give me problems.Since I have no experience with the older MR's, Im not sure if they had issues with they kind of cocking system and breaking or what ever.

It also isnt just mag only (for those that havent seen much of the gun) but I have the feedneck off because I like it more without.

I will be taking/posting more pictures, hopefully this weekend if some of you would like a better look at how this thing compares to other spyders / scenario markers.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:07 AM #7
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeslob View Post
This bad momma is gonna have my centerflag Doolie on it when I get here going, I just want to see how she shoots vanilla before(or if) I put some performance mods on it

That will also look great on that gun. I really should pick up a couple if I ever find them.

Quote:
It is that, just ok. The way theyve done it could have been better in more than one way.
The black round piece on the bolt, it is just a rubber slip on. I have a feeling that I am going to fall off during a game. Underneath it is a cocking pin that threads in, much like all the early spyders with side cocking strikers. I wish it were some kind of AMG style pin with detent, but those seem to bend a lot.
For a quick fix use a bit of teflon tape to keep it from backing out, Ideally Blue locktite but i feel that would be more of a problem if you have to clean up your threads every time you strip your gun. Then it takes time to dry.

You could always fabricate your own pull pin, drill a hole from the back for tip of a ball bearing to poke through, then recess that hole so the bearing actually fits the hole but doesn't fall out, tap it for an allen screw and use a pen spring to keep the pressure. You could modify a cocking pin you have around or have one made. You will need it to only go in enough to cock the gun but not scratch the walls of the top tube. I've never heard of VS or electra pins bending, maybe older spyder had an issue with that tiny little pull pin setup they had.

Quote:
I have no experience with older MR models, but I think the mr2,3,4 had that m4a1 style cocking system so the pin movement was hidden and enclosed. They look exactly like the chaser/eraser cocking system, which I really like and doesnt give me problems.Since I have no experience with the older MR's, Im not sure if they had issues with they kind of cocking system and breaking or what ever.
Yeah but they stuck up still too much that the rails were useless. No Issues with the cocking system, my brother has rocked a MR1 for years now and I had a MR2 for a minute. Personally would have rather had it be side cocking even it look less than ideal. Its woodball so who need perfect pretty anyway?

Quote:
It also isnt just mag only (for those that havent seen much of the gun) but I have the feedneck off because I like it more without.
I always wondered why some manufactures didn't adopt this earlier, Its not like they don't put fake mags on their mil-sims anyway. Tippmans/BT's Should have had these 10 years ago and spyder just needed a little tweaking to get it right. Putting the loader under neath you in woods ball is a plus when half the stuff you hide by has you popping up and over half the time.

Quote:
I will be taking/posting more pictures, hopefully this weekend if some of you would like a better look at how this thing compares to other spyders / scenario markers.
Pics of valve assembly laid out. I know they are using the high flow pin but i want to see the valve body. If you can compare it another spyder valve that be twice as awesome. I'm also curious if the front of the bolt is longer from the air hole forward compared to other spyder valves. Given the mag feed it would seem likely that the breech has been moved forward.

"
Old 02-28-2012, 04:17 PM #8
Crimmins

The MRX isn't just spring loaded mag feed. You can switch between the 10 round mag and a traditional above mounted hopper. I believe that you twist the barrel to switch between the two but I'm not 100% certain on that.
Crimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 PM #9
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimmins View Post
The MRX isn't just spring loaded mag feed. You can switch between the 10 round mag and a traditional above mounted hopper. I believe that you twist the barrel to switch between the two but I'm not 100% certain on that.
are you asking or telling?

"

Last edited by ferret15 : 02-28-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM #10
LordOderus

Ive been looking at snagging one of these for my birthday in April. Anyone try loading some first strikes in the mag yet? Does it take them from the factory? If not, how much modding to the mag will it take do you think?
LordOderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM #11
Crimmins

Quote:
are you asking or telling?
A bit of both I guess. I do know it's dual feed. Just not sure how it switches at the moment.
Crimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 AM #12
dsm619

Did you get the time to test it out? Or anyone else try these out?

I am actually interested in getting one of these and use it for the sole purpose of a limited ammo game with mag feed (i know it's only a 10 round mag lol)

Don't feel like spending alot on a milsig marker or convert my markers to mag feed since they do just fine with tac caps
dsm619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 PM #13
Cakeslob

Correct, it is dual fed between the hopper and mag as the web banners suggest. Unlike a rap4 t68, it is the barrel that rotates to switch similar to the Tiberius T9, but not as nicly done as the t9

Extra mags are for sale at $20 a piece
They also came out with a hopper side cover for mag only
Spyder also just came out with an 18inch barrel for the MRX

and also this

http://www.catshackreports.com/2012/...world-release/
Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 AM #14
battlechaser
Señor Member

That's interesting..

First thing I'd probably make would be a better charging handle, like you mentioned. it'd also be nice to get extra mags and tape the two together (so when you run out with one, eject, flip the mag and reinsert, to speed up reloads.

I wonder if it's first strike compatible...

"If you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste; use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste..." - Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones
battlechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:18 PM #15
robot0ninja

a spyder mag fed. its like rap4's stuff but cheaper. it would have been better if it was milsig mag compatible. but hey, you cant have everything. looks like a good gun for someone entering the mag fed world

"Originally posted by Tempted: The length of the barrel."

GoPro Hero 2 for sale
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...705&highlight=
robot0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 AM #16
gabrielromelio

how accurate is it? how do you think the mrx and mrx elite compare to eachother?
gabrielromelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM #17
robot0ninja

the mrx and mrx elite are the same thing except the elite has unnecessary accessories. you probably wont see a difference in precision since both barrels probably have the same bore. accuracy can only be achieved when you add the human element. the gun itself is no more or less accurate than any other gun. if you get this gun, just get the basic gun and spend the $140 you saved on extra magazines, a hopper cover, and a vest to carry the mags and a remote for your tank.

GoPro Hero 2 for sale
Old 04-09-2012, 12:29 PM #18
gabrielromelio

Good point, the 4" longer barrel is intriguing, I also have a real AR and i'm not sure i would want to interchange the parts. There are some great deals on amazon for the mrx in a package. The elite isnt sold with anything except the accessories and the extra mag right? I don't need a mask or tank, but 3 or 4 extra mags would be useful.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM #19
robot0ninja

correct. you get a foregrip, red dot, laser pointer, sight rail mount, feedneck plate cover, and a longer barrel.

most fields ban the use of laser pointers, a red dot is useless unless you have an adjustable rsier (extra $60) and longer barrels are not more precise and dont add distance. the feedneck plate cover might be useful if you dont plan on using the hopper, a foregrip might be useful, i dont use one on my t9.1, the extra magazine is useful though. But id just buy the basic, go to rockstartactical.com and get the genx global swat vest ($50) get the guerilla air cobra remote ($30) feedneck plate cover ($8) and 3 extra mags ($20 a piece). so for $310, you have 4 mags, a vest, remote line, and a kick *** gun. So for $10 more, youll have much better set up going that way. Id also invest in some ten round tubes. They are like pods, but hold ten paintballs. Theyd be very useful in refilling the mrx magazines. You can get ten for a couple bucks

GoPro Hero 2 for sale
Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM #20
gabrielromelio

I don't plan on playing on any pro fields, purely woodsball. I have a tactical vest (non-paintball) those tubes shouldn't have a hard time fitting in the ar mag pouches right? I'm going to research the **** out of your helpful hints. thanks alot
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM #21
robot0ninja

is it a molle vest? and no problem. im happy spyder released a cheaper mag fed marker. that way people dont have to blow hundreds (or over a thousand) on crap4. milsig is nice, but only if youre really getting into mag fed because of the cost

GoPro Hero 2 for sale