Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 AM #64
drgonzo
Half-cocked

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamSlayer View Post
He means a speedball field where the bunkers are solid. Either literally some buildings set up on a mirror sided field or something like hyper ball with solid objects. I would consider cousins paintball on SI to be like this. ALL of their fields are generally just hard cover in a clearing in the woods.
Yeah that. Maybe I should have said structure-based. Basically, hard bunkers rather than air bunkers.
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 AM #65
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Soul06 supports Ninja Paintball
Oh ok. Structured fields or scenario fields as some call it. I usually refer to that as Urban Assault style fields. Wouldn't use Cousins SI as a good reference though. I look at them as your normal woodsball field that lacks too much natural cover. So they attempt to make up for it by way of barrels and palettes. Better examples in NY would be Liberty or High Velocity

Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA - SC Village, CA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 AM #66
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bconaway View Post
..Oh also if you just go and do the same thing over and over yeah you might get bored. Try different starts AND positions on the field. Try camping in rec ball AND playing aggressive. Try using a mechanical gun AND electronic. Try different types of guns like pumps or electronic boarded guns. Heck rent a gun and play that way. Its as fun as you make it don't blame the game blame the player, because the players make the game what it is not the other way around
agreed - variety is needed to keep the game interesting... same game over and over again makes jack a dull boy. There is a reason COD introduces new maps and new gats..just sayin.

bored? : try a new gat, try a new map/field, mix up your tactics, try a new team, make new friends, and my personal fav: gear back until it hurts.

Last edited by scroadkill : 11-15-2012 at 05:38 AM.
scroadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 AM #67
Bconaway

Bconaway is BST Trusted
Bconaway owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Bconaway plays in the APPA beginner division
Bconaway has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bconaway has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bconaway has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bconaway has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroadkill

bored? : try a new gat, try a new map/field, mix up your tactics, try a new team, make new friends, and my personal fav: gear back until it hurts.
smh they are fields not maps, guns/markers not gats. This ain't a video game... Other than that your good
Bconaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 AM #68
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bconaway View Post
smh they are fields not maps, guns/markers not gats. This ain't a video game... Other than that your good
sounds great .. of course THE primary market for new paintballers thinks of them as maps and gats and yes they think of it as video game of sorts whether you like it or not. Sorry to break the news.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM #69
universal_dave
TIP#001

universal_dave is playing at Living Legends VIII
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
universal_dave has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroadkill View Post
thinks of them as maps and gats
My experience is that (at least in the case of 'gats') that terminology isn't as universal among that group as you think it is.

Tim2Thousand4 is shady, his word doesn't mean anything. If you had a good experience with him, my opinion is that you got lucky.

GSL | CSL | SLS | SL8R | VCom | G6r | Insight | Victus | Lance #1
universal_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM #70
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by universal_dave View Post
My experience is that (at least in the case of 'gats') that terminology isn't as universal among that group as you think it is.
fair enough... pretty sure we are a hair off topic. care to add?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM #71
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Team_ILLNatured is a founding member
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Boss
Team_ILLNatured supports Ninja Paintball
I'll put it this way:

When I started playing paintball, there was no such thing as Speedball. everything was played in the woods, with or without man made bunkers. from my perspective, "speedball" which term i hate, but i will use to encompass all forms of it(10 man, 7man, xball, etc) has done nothing but grow, except for a small hiccup around 2008 when the economy took it's nose dive.

More recently(since 06 or so) woodsball has made more of a resurgance, but it has also made a crossover. more and more woodsball players are using electro-pneumatic markers, and high pressure air than ever before, where these types of markers used to be just for "speedball"

a major problem I see is players that do not want to be flexible. guys that play in the woods, or the scenario fields that ONLY want to play there, and the same way with the "Speedballers" that only wanna hit up the airball fields.

the only way we can continue to grow our sport, is to support all ways of playing.
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 PM #72
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_ILLNatured View Post
a major problem I see is players that do not want to be flexible. guys that play in the woods, or the scenario fields that ONLY want to play there, and the same way with the "Speedballers" that only wanna hit up the airball fields.
I don't see why that is a problem. I personally don't care if some players only want to play speedball and others only want to play in the woods. Is it a big deal that hockey players don't figure skate and figure skaters don't play hockey? It's only an issue if hockey players want to mingle with the figure skaters and start throwing body checks or figure skaters step on the ice during a hockey game and expect everyone to do Triple Lutzes.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:07 PM #73
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Team_ILLNatured is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I don't see why that is a problem. I personally don't care if some players only want to play speedball and others only want to play in the woods. Is it a big deal that hockey players don't figure skate and figure skaters don't play hockey? It's only an issue if hockey players want to mingle with the figure skaters and start throwing body checks or figure skaters step on the ice during a hockey game and expect everyone to do Triple Lutzes.
perhaps it's not a problem, but more of a hinderence to the growth of either style

but you can't compare figure skating to hockey...they are 2 absolutly different sports, that have skating in common

"speedball" and woodsball/scenario have similar goals, tactics, and alot of the exact same equipment...all that is really different is they type of terrain played on, and the speed at which it is played.
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"
Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM #74
universal_dave
TIP#001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_ILLNatured View Post
all that is really different is they type of terrain played on, and the speed at which it is played.
But those two things make a *big* difference in the experience of the game for a player and how it's played.

I think trying to lump all these types of play under one banner makes things harder to figure out. I think the fraction of paintball players who really don't care whether they're playing in the woods or on a speedball field is much smaller than the ones who prefer one type or the other. I think facilities should decide how they want to cater to each of those groups (prefer woods/prefer speedball) as a *separate* effort.

Tim2Thousand4 is shady, his word doesn't mean anything. If you had a good experience with him, my opinion is that you got lucky.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM #75
Horizon

Quote:
But those two things make a *big* difference in the experience of the game for a player and how it's played.

I think trying to lump all these types of play under one banner makes things harder to figure out. I think the fraction of paintball players who really don't care whether they're playing in the woods or on a speedball field is much smaller than the ones who prefer one type or the other. I think facilities should decide how they want to cater to each of those groups (prefer woods/prefer speedball) as a *separate* effort.
I agree. Unfortunately, not enough field owners put a lot of thought into that though. They're too busy trying to sell more paintballs, no matter what type of game is being played.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:04 PM #76
EpikYummeh
Doodlebug Sportz!

EpikYummeh plays in the APPA beginner division
EpikYummeh supports Empire
I'm by no means a competitive speedball player, but I like the fast-paced play-style. The adrenaline-pumping 3-5 minutes games compared to the (sometimes) slow and boring woodsball games is definitely for me, and that's a great point.

Perhaps people don't want the short fast-paced speedball games where they may thing tactics are irrelevant (when they are actually vitally important and can decide a win or a loss) and instead want long, planned-out firefights that go over an hour. It's all down to the consumers and user preference, so perhaps there is just a decline in the adrenaline junkies right now.
EpikYummeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM #77
Soul06

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpikYummeh
I'm by no means a competitive speedball player, but I like the fast-paced play-style. The adrenaline-pumping 3-5 minutes games compared to the (sometimes) slow and boring woodsball games is definitely for me, and that's a great point.

Perhaps people don't want the short fast-paced speedball games where they may thing tactics are irrelevant (when they are actually vitally important and can decide a win or a loss) and instead want long, planned-out firefights that go over an hour. It's all down to the consumers and user preference, so perhaps there is just a decline in the adrenaline junkies right now.
I disagree with the last sentence. Some woodsball games can be very adrenaline packed. All depends on the players and level of aggressiveness. Same way you can have a lame, drawn out speedball game due to very passive players.

On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA - SC Village, CA

Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM #78
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
This attitude hinders the growth of the sport, and further promotes the "us vs them" mentality that is nothing but a hinderance for paintball.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 PM #79
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Fedo supports Team VICIOUS
Fedo posts videos on PbNation
Fedo is an NCPA player
Fedo has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Fedo is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvise View Post
In my case it is because of wind, sun, setup and take down.

The wind where I am constantly tugs on the bunkers... So its constantly stressing the bunker.

The sun(Being California) shines bright most all of the weekend that they are up.

The moving, taking down and putting up the field also stresses the bunkers.

Also, People are rough on bunkers.. Especially snake. Think of all the people who land on them.

Even at that they last a few years, but think of it this way. 4k-6k every 4 years is much more than any other type of field... Plus it needs constant attention.
I understand your point, and it can be a ***** to take care of. It would come down to the demand for your area really.

Making D5 and D4 Players look good.

Insta: @Crux.Foto
Facebook: Facebook.com/CruxPhotography
CruxPhotography.SmugMug.com
Fedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM #80
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Team_ILLNatured is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
This attitude hinders the growth of the sport, and further promotes the "us vs them" mentality that is nothing but a hinderance for paintball.
this.
My ShEGO project!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 PM #81
IrishNinja6
US Air Force

IrishNinja6 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
IrishNinja6 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
IrishNinja6 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
holy ****ing ****, Snake and I finally agree on something....

My WTB list: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3806383
Pay my bills gearbag sale!
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4029265
IrishNinja6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 PM #82
SKI008

plays in the NXL
I prefer speedball but I haven't played it in a few years for a few reasons:

1. Finding a good field is harder. As has been said before maintaining airball bunkers is more costly than the average rec/woods field.
2. When you do find a good field it's "booked" by teams scrimmaging each other. All my friends quit playing paintball years ago, I play by myself. I'm not driving 2+ hours to SC Village just to sit around for most of the day waiting for enough other randoms to show up with a line to get on the field since the teams aren't going to want to split up.
3. It's expensive. This has become less of an issue as I have gotten older and gotten a job but when I break the pump out for rec I go through a bag. When I break out the G6R I go through a case.

I like the symmetrical fields and "sportier" layout but unless you're playing competitively it seems rather hard to actually play speedball, at least on a decent field with turf and all that good stuff. Not that I dislike rec but given the choice I would play airball.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 PM #83
universal_dave
TIP#001

Quote:
Horse crap.

If you try a universal answer for groups with different wants/needs, you piss everyone off. You can ACTUALLY serve both groups well *AT THE SAME TIME* as long as you don't pretend they want the same things.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 AM #84
Soul06

Quote:
Originally Posted by universal_dave

Horse crap.

If you try a universal answer for groups with different wants/needs, you piss everyone off. You can ACTUALLY serve both groups well *AT THE SAME TIME* as long as you don't pretend they want the same things.
I think you are perhaps misunderstanding what he is saying. The "I only play speedball/woodsball" attitudes typically lead to divisions in the sport. Then add in the "only pump" players too and you have more division amongst players. People arguing over which style is better and why the other one sucks. Even though fields can cater to both simultaneously that division hurts the sport as a whole.