Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 PM #800
pgFILMS*
iMakeVideos

pgFILMS* posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
Tried shooting video handheld without IS while focusing manually...wow that does not work!
shot this all hand held...+viewfinder

Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 AM #801
qu1cks1lver56
Me llamo Patrick

has been a member for 10 years
****ing good choice in music
hi
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 PM #802
AABanned

AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABanned supports Pev's Paintball
AABanned supports Ninja Paintball
Hey everyone, I'm looking to make my first short. Currently, I'm in the crowdfunding stage. I know this a long shot, but maybe somebody here would be generous enough to send a couple bucks my way. Here's a link to the Kickstarter.

AABanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:28 PM #803
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
ProtoBaller1991 supports Team VICIOUS
ProtoBaller1991 posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AABanned View Post
Hey everyone, I'm looking to make my first short. Currently, I'm in the crowdfunding stage. I know this a long shot, but maybe somebody here would be generous enough to send a couple bucks my way. Here's a link to the Kickstarter.

Do you have experience shooting films/like doing short films? If so and I think your kickstarted said you're from cleveland, and if you are I know they have a short film competition there called, "the 48 hour film project" check them out, they are fun as hell to do, and get you better at making legit stuff. I did one here in chicago and it was fun to do.

Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 PM #804
AABanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBaller1991 View Post
Do you have experience shooting films/like doing short films? If so and I think your kickstarted said you're from cleveland, and if you are I know they have a short film competition there called, "the 48 hour film project" check them out, they are fun as hell to do, and get you better at making legit stuff. I did one here in chicago and it was fun to do.
I've never shot a film before, only stupid little youtube video stuff. I've been doing all sorts of research for over a month now. I've learned so much, and I'm still learning almost every day.

I'm gonna start working on the lighting in the location(my house) where I'm working. I want to give myself a lot of time to get a grasp on lighting, since that's what will make or break this film. I've got two professional sounds guys to choose from, so I don't have to worry much about the sound aspect.

I'm from Akron, close enough. I've heard of the 48 hour project. It's something I'll definitely look more in to. There's also the Cleveland Indie Film club, I plan on going to one of their meetings as soon as my schedule permits. I know a key in film making is knowing people who know people who can help you out.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 PM #805
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

Quote:
I've never shot a film before, only stupid little youtube video stuff. I've been doing all sorts of research for over a month now. I've learned so much, and I'm still learning almost every day.

I'm gonna start working on the lighting in the location(my house) where I'm working. I want to give myself a lot of time to get a grasp on lighting, since that's what will make or break this film. I've got two professional sounds guys to choose from, so I don't have to worry much about the sound aspect.

I'm from Akron, close enough. I've heard of the 48 hour project. It's something I'll definitely look more in to. There's also the Cleveland Indie Film club, I plan on going to one of their meetings as soon as my schedule permits. I know a key in film making is knowing people who know people who can help you out.
yea just keep learning. idk if you go to a film school at all (if this is what you want to do for a living) but you can obviously learn a **** ton online without spending a dime, but school (if the right one) can help a crap ton too when it comes to gear and people who also love what you do and specialize in their own thing.

Instagram
Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 PM #806
AABanned

Quote:
yea just keep learning. idk if you go to a film school at all (if this is what you want to do for a living) but you can obviously learn a **** ton online without spending a dime, but school (if the right one) can help a crap ton too when it comes to gear and people who also love what you do and specialize in their own thing.
I don't go to a film school, and I'm really not considering it.

I learn pretty much everything about all my hobbies and interests online for free. It's definitely the way to go. I just need to actually start putting what I'm learning to use. That's what I want to do with this film.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 PM #807
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

Quote:
I don't go to a film school, and I'm really not considering it.

I learn pretty much everything about all my hobbies and interests online for free. It's definitely the way to go. I just need to actually start putting what I'm learning to use. That's what I want to do with this film.
then get to it. but I wouldnt count on making a dime on your kick starter, sorry. just make what you love for fun.

Instagram
Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 PM #808
AABanned

Quote:
then get to it. but I wouldnt count on making a dime on your kick starter, sorry. just make what you love for fun.
I'm prepared to have to pay for most of it out of my pocket. If the Kickstarter succeeds, awesome. If not, awesome. I'm dead set on making this film.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:08 PM #809
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

Quote:
I'm prepared to have to pay for most of it out of my pocket. If the Kickstarter succeeds, awesome. If not, awesome. I'm dead set on making this film.
cool I'm interested to see how it comes out.

Instagram
Old 10-17-2012, 12:31 PM #810
empire112234

Quote:

I made my first short film this summer and it was a fantastic learning experience. I did it during a five week program that included 10 hours a day of class. The final two weeks were set aside for shooting and post. I've worked on sets before, mostly as a DP, but this was my first try at writing and directing.

The short was just over three minutes and had only two characters and three locations. Frankly I hated the finished product but it ended up being the finale of a small screening of 15 amateur shorts and everybody else seemed to enjoy it. They're so much fun to put together, but they have potential to be stressful if you don't know what you're getting into. I am by no means an expert, but I know what it's like to direct a short for the first time.

My advice:
1) Keep your ideas manageable. Unfortunately when you're on a budget, you don't have quite so much liberty. For example, when I worked with a friend on his, he was set on getting a new york taxi. It didn't happen and since he was pressed for time he had to rewrite his screenplay.

2) Get somebody experienced on your crew if you can and use them heavily. There's nothing worse than realizing in the editing room that you forgot room tone, a plane was going overhead during a cut, or there's a continuity issue.

3) When you cast actors, go with someone talented enough, fits the role, and is easy to work with. If you aren't paying them, you want someone who seems friendly and eager to perform.

4) Take care of your actors. Get them lunch, pay for transportation, etc.

5) Don't tell your actors to "be more angry" or "a little more upset", and especially don't read the lines to them the exact way you want them. Ultimately, you need to give them enough breathing room or they will perform rigidly. A good way of getting your message across would be to describe scenarios to remind them of how they should feel. For example,"You just woke up, your house was robbed, and you are hearing noises."

6) Take a minimum of 3 takes per each shot. If you are the slightest bit uncomfortable with the way they went, go for 5.

7) Come prepared with a storyboard, a shot list, or both.

That's all I've got for now. As you said, a key in filmmaking is knowing people. Try to make connections whenever you can. It will help, especially when it comes to finding a good crew and renting out equipment.
empire112234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 PM #811
AABanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire112234 View Post
I
My advice:
1) Keep your ideas manageable. Unfortunately when you're on a budget, you don't have quite so much liberty. For example, when I worked with a friend on his, he was set on getting a new york taxi. It didn't happen and since he was pressed for time he had to rewrite his screenplay.

2) Get somebody experienced on your crew if you can and use them heavily. There's nothing worse than realizing in the editing room that you forgot room tone, a plane was going overhead during a cut, or there's a continuity issue.

3) When you cast actors, go with someone talented enough, fits the role, and is easy to work with. If you aren't paying them, you want someone who seems friendly and eager to perform.

4) Take care of your actors. Get them lunch, pay for transportation, etc.

5) Don't tell your actors to "be more angry" or "a little more upset", and especially don't read the lines to them the exact way you want them. Ultimately, you need to give them enough breathing room or they will perform rigidly. A good way of getting your message across would be to describe scenarios to remind them of how they should feel. For example,"You just woke up, your house was robbed, and you are hearing noises."

6) Take a minimum of 3 takes per each shot. If you are the slightest bit uncomfortable with the way they went, go for 5.

7) Come prepared with a storyboard, a shot list, or both.
First off, thanks for all that. I love how helpful the film community is.

1) My only expenses will be the equipment, lunch, and possibly a sound guy.

2) I don't need a big crew, and I think this will be pretty straight forwards(isn't that how everything is thought to be?). I really think I have no need for someone just to be around to catch stuff. I've got pretty keen attention to detail.

3) All I need is a young boy. And a motherly voice, which I can get with ease. I tried to make this as low budget and beginner friendly as possible, and I think I've managed that. I don't even have a real script, there's so little to it.

4) Lunch and transportation will be handled... Yay for a friend volunteering to be a PA.

5) I'm no expert on acting, but my friend(the PA) has been in theater for like 6 years now. So, he should be able to help in that department.

6) I was planning on at least 5, but certainly no more than 10. I know how pissy myself and everyone else got when one scene was shot literally 26 times at a feature I was an extra in. A 4-5 hour predicted shoot turned into 10 hours.

7) I've got it all prepared in my head, I just need to turn my imagination into reality.

Feel free just to comment on a few points, or none, or all, or whatever your heart's content is.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 PM #812
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

stock up on some cto and c-47's dawg.

but really, just have fun with your first short film.

Instagram
Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 PM #813
AABanned

Just won a DR-05 on ebay tonight. Next thing to get is the Rode VM kit with the boom and cable, a pair of recording headphones, and a wind screen. That will be my sound department for the time being.

I've got a cool idea for a video I want to make, but it will have to wait till warmer weather(or till I can travel to a warm place). I possibly could do some variations of it, with just the content being different.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 AM #814
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

StosPhotography is a Paintball photographer
wondering if anybody could maybe help me out!!

I just starting making time lapses (yes obviously photos, but compiled into a video so I figured maybe somebody could help me out)... I tried this quick free software that automatically piles all the photos into a time lapse, I get to choose:
Codec: h.264
Frame rate: I put 60
Dimensions: left it alone to be the same size as my photos
Quality: Max

so when I finish it, and watch the .mov file in quicktime from my desktop, the quality is incredibly, couldn't get any sharper... When I upload the 2 separate shots to imovie to combine them, I export it with these settings:
Data Rate: 5,000kbits/sec
Frame Rate: 30
Key Frames: every 30 frames
Dimensions: 1920x1080
Quality: high

once that is finished and the 2 parts or combined, the IQ is still just as good...

however, when I upload it to vimeo, the IQ just goes to crap
here is my time lapse:
https://vimeo.com/54965312

StosPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 AM #815
Bluewolf
ǝıd

It doesn't look like it's showing up in HD on vimeo.

All of your export settings look good. Maybe it's just taking vimeo a little while to encode the HD version. How long has the video been up?
Bluewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 AM #816
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

uploaded it to vimeo yesterday at like 6 or 7pm EST maybe? haha

edit: I only have the "basic" free version for vimeo, didnt pay to upgrade... does that make a different? i was under the impression the difference was just uploading/encoding speeds and storage per week

Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM #817
nullset

Quote:
Originally Posted by StosPhotography View Post
however, when I upload it to vimeo, the IQ just goes to crap
here is my time lapse:
https://vimeo.com/54965312

Out of curiosity, is the final film, when exported from iMovie in a 4:3ish aspect ratio or 16:9 with pillarboxing? I'm getting no option to choose HD, and my assumption is that Vimeo thinks you're uploading a standard def video. On the other hand, Vimeo may be operating like Youtube in that is produces a quick and dirty SD copy before taking longer to transcode the HD version.

What camera are you using? Completely personal preference on this, but if you have the ability, cropping your video to fit into one of the standard HD video sharing site resolution looks a lot nicer (IMO). Depending on the native resolution of your pictures, you could probably do it with 0 quality loss.

Also, have you tried QT7 for timelapses? One of my favs to do the processing. Did you only have the option of h.264 as your codec? It's a great finishing codec, but not the best in the intermediate, which is why I suggest QT7, which I believe gives you some better options (it's been a little while, I could be wrong on this).
nullset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 PM #818
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullset View Post
Out of curiosity, is the final film, when exported from iMovie in a 4:3ish aspect ratio or 16:9 with pillarboxing? I'm getting no option to choose HD, and my assumption is that Vimeo thinks you're uploading a standard def video. On the other hand, Vimeo may be operating like Youtube in that is produces a quick and dirty SD copy before taking longer to transcode the HD version.

legit don't even know haha how could I check that? and I doubt they are taking longer to "transcode" the HD version, it has been about 24 hours haha

What camera are you using? Completely personal preference on this, but if you have the ability, cropping your video to fit into one of the standard HD video sharing site resolution looks a lot nicer (IMO). Depending on the native resolution of your pictures, you could probably do it with 0 quality loss.

I am using a canon 1d mark 3.. how can I go about cropping the video or to what size? thanks

Also, have you tried QT7 for timelapses? One of my favs to do the processing. Did you only have the option of h.264 as your codec? It's a great finishing codec, but not the best in the intermediate, which is why I suggest QT7, which I believe gives you some better options (it's been a little while, I could be wrong on this).
see bolded ^^

also, here are some screen shots if it helps at all:

and a screenshot full screened on my 21.5" iMac using quick time

Last edited by StosPhotography : 12-06-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:09 PM #819
nullset

Quote:
Originally Posted by StosPhotography View Post
see bolded ^^
How big is the folder of pictures that you're using for the timelapse? Small enough to be dropboxed or put in a downloadable section of your website?

Don't have any experience with iMovie, but do have some experience with timelapses.
nullset is offline   Reply With Quote