Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-10-2006, 05:34 PM #1
Wiertlo

Free Photoshop Work Thread

It's more than improtant to be understood properly when requesting work, so I will post some essential definitions.

LOGO (logotype) - Short graphic form, used to identify a company. Think about famous brands - nike, apple, coca-cola, shell, toyota etc. What connects them all? SIMPLICITY. It must be simple, because logo should be readable when printed on business card (very small piece of paper ) or on a huge banner (on a bus). So don't expect mad gradients, complex drawings, blurred distortions or usage of photoshop filters (they don't look good scaled into tiny 1x1" space). Do expect it razor sharp in vector format (definition below) and in 3 varietes - Black&white dark (for stamp etc), B&W light (for printing on dark surfaces like company clothing and products) and color (on-screen, advertising). Definately expect your logo to carry a message. For more complex definition go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo

JERSEY DESIGN
- most typical mistake here is requesting "logo for a jersey" and thinking about jersey design. In a graphics world it means that you need proper logo design (see LOGO definition) and positioning it on a jersey. If you want mad jersey design, please, don't put a word "logo" there, it's distracting.

DEADLINE - Essential ingredient of a proper request. Skilled designers have a disease called "tomorrow" [manana], catched doing "for yesterday" designs. They need to know how many days they can do anything else before drawing your requests.

---

Another thing worth straightening once and for all is a difference between RASTER and VECTOR format. You can see most significant difference below.
This is a reference picture (stroke from my avvy) in a raster format:

and here is effect of scaling:

Pretty lame. What you want is a infinite scaling feature in vector format:

This is what I meant by 'razor sharp'.

Another example here: (by 'ghostcell'):

When looking for a new team logo, make sure the design is in a vector type format. The reason for this is that vector's are images that can be scalable to any size and colors can be replaced, without loosing quality of the image. Vector's are usually made in Adobe Illustrator and are created by using the pen tool. Vectored designs at some point must be converted into a raster graphic (.jpg, .gif, .png,) which cannot be changed without loosing quality.

Example of a vector: (was uploaded as .jpg so lost quality)

xample of a raster graphic:

For basically all other info on vector vs. raster (concepts, formats etc) go here. Don't forget to click on the 'next page'

Despite great scaling features, vector images are pretty simple. When you think about something photorealistic or really mad, then you need raster format, but make sure it's designed in proper resolution. And this brings another definition...

RESOLUTION - Only for raster formats, usually comes in DPI (dots per inch). What you see on your screen is a 72 DPI (despite your resolution in pixels, these are completely different things). What you see printed in a colorful magazine is usually 300 DPI (offset). What you see on a jersey (screen-print) is between 150-250 DPI. So when requesting work give dimensions (in inches) and resolution (I want a jersey/avvy/magazine ad). And be aware that higher resolutions then 72 DPI are heavy (a4 page in 300 DPI can weight over 50 mb) and resource-eating (designing such page in PS on medium machine is a real pain) so expect higher prices.

And last but not least, definition by fellow designer drunktiger21, which is...

...SAVOIR VIVRE
If you are not serious about your request, don't expect even mid-level results.
Ex, with a request like this-
Eye wunt a logo 4 my teem. I gieb joo $$$$$$.
Maek it kewl.
Srs p0starz onle.
kay ty.

Someone will end up with this-

-

I would like to add a little advice to this: If you are an immature folk then pretend that you aren't. Unless you want design from another immature folk, but they suck at CG. Good designers are very smug because of being blessed with talent, having commercial experience or both. Treat them with respect - you want them to create something beautiful for you.

Last edited by jdev : 06-11-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2006, 07:47 PM #2
Wiertlo

I've added some definitions Feel free to post yours here.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:08 AM #3
AndyAllen019
INSOMNIAWESOME

AndyAllen019 is a Moderator
AndyAllen019 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
AndyAllen019 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
AndyAllen019 supports our troops
AndyAllen019 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Stickied.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:56 PM #4
drunktiger21
Welcome to my reality

Another thing I want to add-
If you are not serious about your request, don't expect even mid-level results.

Ex, with a request like this-
Eye wunt a logo 4 my teem. I gieb joo $$$$$$.
Maek it kewl.
Srs p0starz onle.
kay ty.

Someone will end up with this-

Should I, like, get a signature, or something?

Last edited by drunktiger21 : 09-11-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:35 PM #5
Wiertlo

Yeah! Added to main post, I hope you don't mind
Old 09-11-2006, 06:37 PM #6
drunktiger21
Welcome to my reality

Be my guest

Should I, like, get a signature, or something?

Old 09-11-2006, 06:51 PM #7
Wiertlo

I've added this link to the main post:
http://www.prepressure.com/image/bitmapvector.htm
It covers basically all questions regarding differences between vector and raster format, with formats, soft etc. All "learners" should read it very carefully.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:00 PM #8
ghostcell

You should explain in detail what exactly a vector is. If you want i'll wip up a short descirption of one
Old 09-15-2006, 07:23 PM #9
Wiertlo

Go for it
Old 09-16-2006, 07:44 AM #10
ghostcell

Vector Graphic:

When looking for a new team logo, make sure the design is in a vector type format. The reason for this is that vector's are images that can be scalable to any size and colors can be replaced, without loosing quality of the image. Vector's are usually made in Adobe Illustrator and are created by using the pen tool. Vectored designs at some point must be converted into a raster graphic (.jpg, .gif, .png,) which cannot be changed without loosing quality.

Example of a vector: (was uploaded as .jpg so lost quality)

Example of a raster graphic:

All writen by ghostcell of www.pbnation.com
Old 09-16-2006, 09:48 AM #11
yeaa

GJ^^, if you would design shirts would you use illustrator or ps?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:18 PM #12
ghostcell

Illustrator. You could do the design first in PS, then vector it in illustrator, but that would take much longer..
Old 09-16-2006, 04:42 PM #13
Wiertlo

ghostcell, i've added your lines into main post

And yes, illustrator. Not always, you can use photoshop, just make sure you make your design in proper resolution (around 250 DPI should be enough for even best screenprints), but your final file is going to be heavy (forget about jpegs, you need lossless compression). My last jersey design weights 1 mb (.ai). It would be around 70 mb in raster format.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:29 PM #14
hammered

In all the job requests Ive had for the work I do, this post covers just about every bad way I've been asked. If you dont mind, I'd like to use this as a link to educate those customers. Some people fail to realize that just the design time eat into the money. Great post.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:10 AM #15
Strider2800

Free Photoshop Work Thread

If you are someone who will provide free services to users, please PM me and let them know that and what services you will provide to users (avatars, minor picture edits, etc.). This will allow users to see who provides what services and see who they can contact regarding this. Upon your approval, I will add your name to a list at the front of this page so users may contact you.

> If you would like free work done, please post here and ONLY HERE. Do not post that you need work done outside this thread. Doing so may result in an infraction.

> Do not quote your original response in an effort to get attention of a designer more than 1 time per week. This is equivilent to upping your post. If a designer wants to do the work, they will contact you. Do not clutter this thread because you have not received a response from a designer. There is a list of designers in the first post, you may PM them individually and see if they will do the work for you. If the work you are requesting is nixed by the people here doing free work, you will be asked to make your post in the paid thread.

> Normal rules of PbN apply here. Please follow them.

> This is provided to users under the assumption that they will follow the rules. Do not abuse this privilege or you may lose it.

> Users should post their work here before contacting a designer (if/when a list goes up). Once you are ready to contact a designer send them a link to your post. DO NOT harass designers who will do work for free. They will complete your request at their pace, not yours.

> Do Not post that users can PM you for paid work.

Last edited by jdev : 06-12-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:32 AM #16
designatedjake

Hello again guys, idk if there is a special section for guns but this thread says ANYTHING so yeah.

If someone could please Photoshop this Orange NXT to give it Silver NXT colors where marked. If you can't tell where it's marked,
  • Bottom part of Q-Lock
  • Regulator
  • Body (leave eye covers orange please)
And Idk how easy this is to do, but if someone could do one with a silver trigger frame and one without that'd be cool.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:19 PM #17
ThatsWhatSheSaid

80x80 plz
Old 12-17-2007, 05:36 PM #18
Scratchy (Banned)

Its got that new thread smell
Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 PM #19
Ionpimp3
yes, my username sucks.

Put happy holidays on it and make it christmassy please and thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 07:00 PM #20
IONLee91

so me and my team aren't looking for anything too crazy, just mabye our team name (Jerzey Riot) in some kind of sick lettering, and possibly have the lettering arched? main colors would love to be used are red and black...thanks for the help and time
Stoned Assassins Fan Club - Member #69
Thomas Taylor Fan Club - Member #69
www.myspace.com/wutuwant
www.paintballgear.com
Old 12-17-2007, 07:18 PM #21
MinorThreat
Subtle like a T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONLee91 View Post
so me and my team aren't looking for anything too crazy, just mabye our team name (Jerzey Riot) in some kind of sick lettering, and possibly have the lettering arched? main colors would love to be used are red and black...thanks for the help and time