Booya39 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Booya39 is a Professional paintball player
Re: The link to the AP story

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSlug
Edjucation is the key.
Classic!

If you think school is hard, try being stupid.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2004, 07:53 AM #23
Booya39
STORK

Booya39 is a Supporting Member
Something has happened over the last decade or two that people forget who is responsible for children... THEIR PARENTS!!! It's more than a problem in paintball. Until parents get a grasp on reality and stop leaving it up to the government to regulate their children this problem isn't going anywhere.

The masses are inherently ignorant and when you have someone who is smart in one field (such as a doctor) trying to appear smart in another field, people get mislead.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:54 AM #24
Deathwizard77

I would like to add alll these articles say that the injuries have tripled. None tell you that the amount of partisipants in the sport has gone up by more than 6 times the players. So if anything the amount of injuries are going down not up.

37% OF ALL PAINTBALLTEAMS HAVE A FAT KID PLAYING FOR THEM IF YOU ARE THE FAT KID PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1031529
Old 01-06-2004, 12:10 PM #25
Meph

Meph is a Supporting Member
No, the # of injuries are going up. It's inevitable.

However the percentage of injury per player has gone down.

It's all about how the liberal media words their garbage.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
And my newest Sponsor.... Charmin!
Old 01-06-2004, 04:14 PM #26
bluelite
The Bronze

"So you see, your honor, if you stick to a very narrow definition of 'War Game' what we do cannot really be called a 'War Game' per se. Although we do use guns to eliminate opposing combatants and gain key territory and objectives, we wear multi-colored uniforms. Let me repeat that for the court: We do not wear camouflage. Therefore we are not a war game."
Good luck getting that to fly.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:19 PM #27
Deathwizard77

Well said Meph I rushed to muich on my first reply. I believe that most got my point though.

37% OF ALL PAINTBALLTEAMS HAVE A FAT KID PLAYING FOR THEM IF YOU ARE THE FAT KID PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1031529
Old 01-06-2004, 05:21 PM #28
NotSpeedyejl (Banned)

NotSpeedyejl is a Supporting Member
OK a few points I agree with the article mentioned for the most part,

Eye injuries are one the rise but so are the amount of people playing, it would be nice to see a ratio of eye injuries to people playing for each year to see what the trend is.
The point of the article though was to inform doctors in the medical community (not trade, doctors aren't carpenters) in dealing with paintball related eye injuries.

Only allow markers to be purchased by adults over 18? Yep thats a great idea

Require licensing or state certification to sell markers?
There’s another

Regulation on an industry while stifling it, legitimizes it and will provide public protection. Some of you are more concerned about the sports image rather than peoples safety and talk about fighting every little regulation tooth and nail.

On another note I keep seeing it here so I'm going to address it. Outlawing paintball markers to be sold in NYC is really irrelevant to discussion. A paintball stores revenue wouldn't be able to cover the cost of rent anywhere in the city and there are plenty of quality pro shops outside of it. The only store selling markers was WAL-MART and Sports Authority who have the capital to support stores in the city.

The only people who would buy there would be getting a black or grey Tippman or Spyder which would be in violation of the NYC law (which prohibits real gun colors being sold in toy guns.) Personally couldn't care more about those people being able to play when it causes a problem for the NYPD and the National Guard in NYC having to worry about gunning down innocent kids with paintball markers.

As much as I love it I'd rather paintball be banned then the blood of little kids being spilt how bout you?

Last edited by NotSpeedyejl : 01-06-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:32 PM #29
kookiemonstar

The dictionary tells no lies my friends.

Main Entry: war game
Function: noun
Date: 1828
1 : a simulated battle or campaign to test military concepts and usually conducted in conferences by officers acting as the opposing staffs
2 : a two-sided umpired training maneuver with actual elements of the armed forces participating

Heh, for it to be a war game it needs to implicate the military. Even though I admit its sort of close, its not accurate though.

Not speed- I agree, there aren't any places to play there anyway.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:04 PM #30
HypershockerU2

HypershockerU2 is a Supporting Member
HypershockerU2 is a founding member
HypershockerU2 supports Ninja Paintball
There were more car wrecks last year than in 1782. Where is the media in this hour of darkness?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:18 AM #31
Booya39
STORK

Booya39 is a Supporting Member
Go watch Bowling for Columbine by Michael Moore. I didn't see it at Best Buy but they definitely had it for rent at Blockbuster.

In case you've never heard of the movie, it's about gun control. I don't necessarilly agree with all of Michael Moore's views but the movie definitely makes you think and shows you how the media doesn't always cover the whole story. The issue we're dealing with here are paralleled very closely in the movie.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:02 AM #32
Hello_To_All

yea i saw Bowling for Columbine. Its a great movie, the cartoon in the middle about US history is genious.

-Short Bus
Old 01-09-2004, 11:51 PM #33
*NiTr0*
Ex *********

*NiTr0* is a Supporting Member
I have never been injured playing paintball, Ive played for about 4+ years. The worst ive had was sore knees, or leg cramps. And some bruses.

I really hate it when parents think that paintball is a bad sport. Ive come across a few people who have wanted to play, and their parents wouldnt let them.
I told them to tell their parents to go to the local store and ask how the game is played, and how safe the sport really is.

Ex moderator
Old 01-14-2004, 04:54 PM #34
Rexx Havokk

It'll never hold up under scrutiny

I have read this report, his Data is from 1987-2000, most of his background information dates from 1987-88. 187 Eye injuries due to "Paint" and here is the overlooked part "BB and Pellet" related injuries.

This researcher has lumped "BB guns and Pellet guns" with Paintball markers. He also lumps in Drive by shootings by idiot youths, and lumps information from as early as 1985.

I was playing in 85 and we were wearing shop glasses, no one had masks and Uvex were the goggles of choice.

In the report the researcher makes some very far reaching observations by saying that:

1. most of the injuries happened to Outlaw or backyard players
2. most happened to children under 15
3. Most took place when they took their protective masks off

His conclusion is that since you have these factors, all 15 and under players will remove their masks and go blind.

Problem is it is not happening! Only 187 in a time span of 5 years? and not all of them Paintball related? I have better odds being in three airliner crashes and surviving all three before I will see a 15 and under player remove their gogs and get hit in the eye.

This is an old tactic, set up a straw man to knock it down, in other words build up your report to make it seem bigger than it is.
But if you read it, even the previous researchers say all you have to do is keep you eye protection on. In fact, the industry has overshadowed their requirements.
He overshadows the 1989 report that only requires Lexan eye sheild like glasses with side portection. Look at the full face goggs and tell me that the industry hasn't gone beyond those standards.

Bottom line, it's no big deal people, he wrote a paper to be published. Dr's and Professors are like that , it is Publish or Perrish, if you don't write, you'll lose your grants.

But be prepared for this guy to be called onto the stand as a witness if any paintball related injuried end up in court, at $1500.00 an hour...

Last edited by Rexx Havokk : 01-14-2004 at 05:01 PM.