FatalKitty
I has the awesome

has been a member for 10 years
FatalKitty is a Paintball photographer
FatalKitty donated to help Peyton Trent
FatalKitty helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
You also have to factor in the surface area over which that energy is being transferred. If I hit you in the *** with a big flat board, and then hit you again with that same board with a nail sticking out of, guess which will hurt worse.

Fortunately, the difference in cross section between a .50 caliber paintball and a .68 caliber paintball will not be enough to overcome their difference in mass, even if the fill is more dense.
and what if I hit you with the boar but instead of a nail I used a piece of chewed gun an tin foil to shape a nail. it's probably not going to hurt any more than the plain board.... since the tin foil would crush.
are you guys serious with these arguments?!?! the energy of a paintball dissipates upon impact with it's explosion.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 AM #86
Matte

First of all I would like to thank one of the smartest people I have ever met Tom Kaye for his intellect and insight on this matter.

Shell thickness is my concern. If the gelitan is the same thickness as found on most .68 caliber rounds then from my experience it will tend to hurt more at CLOSE range than the ballistics of the .68 because of the smaller impact area ( Same reason the military builds their armor piercing munuitions and bunker busting missles in such small diameters) less energy is lost on imact meaning deeper tissue damage on "Close Range Shots" from a .50 caliber.

Bottom line is it is defferent and wether we support it or we dont it is on the way.

As I field owner I have not raised my field fees in 15 years they are still $10
If the price per ball to the end user stays the same and the price per ball decreases at the wholesale level then I am all for it as long as the pain is tolerable.

If it generates interest back into this industry from the A/soft industry I am all for that as well.

In the future we stand to lose 30% of potential consumer base to Air Soft. That in the end is the facts we need to focus on.
Matte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM #87
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalKitty View Post
and what if I hit you with the boar but instead of a nail I used a piece of chewed gun an tin foil to shape a nail. it's probably not going to hurt any more than the plain board.... since the tin foil would crush.
are you guys serious with these arguments?!?! the energy of a paintball dissipates upon impact with it's explosion.
That's assuming it explodes, which doesn't always happen, and it doesn't change the fact that a more dense paintball could hurt more (depending on the totality of the factors).

All other things kept equal, how much it hurts will depend on the mass, velocity and cross sectional area (i.e. area of the skin over which the force is dissipated)

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"

Last edited by Spock : 10-08-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 AM #88
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Because he didn't actually research the same product years ago. He said as much in his post. The whole push behind this new .50 caliber paintball is that Richmond and the boys supposedly figured out a way to make the fill more dense without using toxic materials. If that's a lie, the fine, .50 caliber is bull****. As I've said, I'm in wait and see mode.

In the mean time, it's very simple to calculate the increase in density needed to make a 50 caliber sphere have the same ballistic properties as a 68 caliber sphere. It's not 2 times the density, as Tom claims. In other words, you don't need to make a 50 caliber paintball weigh the same as a 68 caliber paintball in order to make it fly as far.

If you don't believe me, go ask your physics professor
Yes yes as an engineering student I understand the rational phyiscs that your attmepting to apply to the situation - that wasnt my point. As my other posts have referenced im more interested in the cost impacts and the business politics behind the situation. (neither of which we need not go into again). Like you said we shall have to wait and see.