PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-27-2006, 08:31 PM #1
spectec7248

overbore question

I couldn't find a prior thread on this.....I read something recently that said timmies like a overbored barrel. The article said the paint should easily roll thru the barrel??
I've always thought that you should match your bore size to the paint, and that the paint shouldn't roll down the barrel, and have slight resistance at the barrel breach.
What's the thoughts on this?

06 infamous with cp reg, stiffi barrel, vp pistons, halo B etc..
2K5 with way too many ups...lol
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2006, 08:45 PM #2
andymi86
Maker of Beer

andymi86 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
andymi86 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
andymi86 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I prefer overboring because I am not always shooting the nicest paint so the paint varies in size. If 1 in 50 paintballs is slightly to big then 1 in 50 paintballs will break in a barrel with a tight fit, and even shotting 10 bps that's one every 5 seconds. I will take the slight lose in effecency to not worry about the barrel breaks.

-Andy
Old 07-27-2006, 09:10 PM #3
EgoTisTical7
timmy>u

yeah, i overbore slightly (shoot .689 field paint thru a .691) and i havent broken any paint yet. even the crappy 2 yr. old zap paint that literally gets stuck in the feedneck occasionally with no breaks. its def. worth the loss of efficiency
Rendition Fan club #7
Danni Female BLAST Tech fan club #2
Marq7 Closer
Species Timmy
Naughty Dog timmy red/blk fade
SWP 2-4-05
thump fan club #13
Trauma member #564
Old 07-27-2006, 09:10 PM #4
ladd_17
Boycott 10bps

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
ladd_17 is Boss
i overbore because im too lazy/cheap to mess with a barrel kit, and it's always worked great for me

14" .692 ultralite ftw!

Desperately awaiting the return of fun tournament paintball

TRUST
Old 07-27-2006, 09:37 PM #5
spectec7248

Do you think it affects accuracy?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:00 PM #6
ladd_17
Boycott 10bps

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
ladd_17 is Boss
naw, i get great accuracy with any paint i shoot

Desperately awaiting the return of fun tournament paintball

TRUST
Old 07-27-2006, 10:25 PM #7
paintballmonkey069

doesnt affect accuracy tremendously imo but efficency takes a slight drop off.. o well
Old 07-28-2006, 12:05 AM #8
TStorm
[]D [] []v[] []D

my timmy is still very accurate even when i use a .694 ultralite. I never have barrel breaks and i dont really notice the loss in efficency
Old 07-28-2006, 06:56 AM #9
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Mega Moderator
lopez17 is a Moderator
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Here's my thought on this...overboring and ball to barrel matching both have their place but what you should do in a given situation is going to depend. I'm more inclined to overbore the hell out of the ball when I'm using brittle paint or when the conditions are dry/arid/cold. These are times when the paint is going to be unforgiving in the barrel if it encounters too tight of a fit. I don't use garbage paint but if I had to, I'd probably overbore in that situation as well.

In the summer, when VA is incredibly humid and the balls absorb ambient moisture from the air and swell, I dilligently attempt to get a good bore to ball fit. I've been shooting X-Ball Bronze and the Pevs Premium (basically X-Ball Bronze) for the entire year so far. Both are TINY paints with thicker shells. When those shells absorb moisture they get more rubbery. Being that they're thicker shells they're less likely to break to begin with. The paint is highly consistent though and I've been shooting them from a .685 CP back since April. Some of my friends use .682 backs even. We've had no breaks but notice that our efficiency is up just a wee bit and while others may not have noticed, I do seem to notice a wee bit better accuracy with that tighter match. If I was using Hellfire or Evil, I might overbore a bit more ... even in the summer, but I find no need for anything from Inferno on down...at least here in VA.

My general opinion, being that the population of this forum is geographically dispersed across the US, your milage may vary based on your own weather conditions.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:23 AM #10
Rendition Tech

you dont lose any efficiency overboring, as a matter of fact in my opinion, the gun gets MORE efficient, here is why

Which causes more resistance to a paintball- metal or air? definitely metal

you run your finger through the air with no problem. Try running your finger down the side of your barrel with some pressure and you'll see its not so easy

If the ball is bouncing along the side as it leaves the barrel, it will slow down.

And let's just say that tight bore does make the gun more efficient, how much more effienciecy do you need with a timmy? is breaking more paint worth an extra 8 balls per tank fill?

In terms of efficiency, does anyone actually count how many paintballs they shoot per 1000psi of air and chart it? I seriously doubt it

Overboring is one of those things where people knock it before they try it. And when they do finally overbore, they never go back

it's why the pros do it
Old 07-28-2006, 07:34 AM #11
dang
betty

dang plays in the PSP
dang plays in the APPA D4 division
I shoot Ultra Evil and Hellfire most of the time at tourneys. At practice I shoot Stinger or Rampage. I always use a .688 Ultralite, and I never break paint, ever. I shoot either an alias or an empire 1. Neither break paint. I have an evil pipe Kit, and Had a Mac Dev Matchstick Kit, and over boring is fine, but so is my .688
Old 07-28-2006, 07:53 AM #12
Rendition Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
I shoot Ultra Evil and Hellfire most of the time at tourneys. At practice I shoot Stinger or Rampage. I always use a .688 Ultralite, and I never break paint, ever. I shoot either an alias or an empire 1. Neither break paint. I have an evil pipe Kit, and Had a Mac Dev Matchstick Kit, and over boring is fine, but so is my .688
I'm definitely not trying to sell a large bore barrel, I personally dont make any money when someone buys a large bore barrel so I personally could care less what you shoot.

I know that I made it mandatory that to be on Rendition, you must shoot a .692 or larger bore barrel. Most of the guys are shooting .693 CP's or Empires, some shoot .695 Stiffis, .695 Freak Inserts, a couple .692 UL's

With inspected paint, we get about 1 barrel break per 40 to 60 cases, shooting draxxus paint.

Sometimes we go months without a single barrel break, shooting 15 to 20cases a weekend.

But we're in florida. It's 100 degrees here, no shade with about 90% humidity. Paintballs will swell in front of your own eyes once they hit the air. Paintballs that bore at .687 at your house will bore .693+ after 2 hours at the field

Once the heat causes the air inside the paintball to expand, the humidity causes the shell to start expanding, and the Halo pancakes the ball stack, if you're not at .693 or bigger in florida, you'll be breaking paint all day
Old 07-28-2006, 08:09 AM #13
Viet_DJ_TJ

are lucky 15 barrels enygood since there already over bore ?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 AM #14
blaster44

They are good barrels, but I recommend a Redz Pepperstick or Dye Ultralite.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:54 AM #15
Lord_Lippie
Something Witty & Phresh.

Lord_Lippie is a Supporting Member
Lord_Lippie donated to help Peyton Trent
Lord_Lippie supports Team VICIOUS
We were taught this on Brimstone Smoke, Always overbore to avoid barrel breaks. The only time you really need a good match is if you use a closed-bolt marker, such as a cocker, so your paint does not roll out of your barrel.

Kickn' Paintball Park! 'Merica's Finest Indoor

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:47 AM #16
spyderowner69

its been prooven that a good paint to barrel match, then slightly above it will give you the best FPS, and accuracy, ALthough, if you are using the crappy paint, id say overbore it allot to avoid any mess. its not like matching the bore to bad paint will make it any better.

so if your using good paint. match the bore, and up it a little.

if your using bad paint, overbore it allot.

feedback-https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=15518788#post15518788
spimmy thread- https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1619242