PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM #22
oklahomaoutrage09
**** SP

has been a member for 10 years
Aka won't do anything. SP hopefully will die. End of the story.

People finally wised up and realized they were over paying for the product they were getting and had enough of it. SP's greedy habits of producing as many "top of the line" products at once caught up with them. It was a poorly run business that attempted to monopolize the industry and they failed, this is what happens when you fail.

Viking
PneuMag
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 PM #23
i_luv_strats
Free techs+repairs PM me!

i_luv_strats helped look for balloons
i_luv_strats owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i_luv_strats owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i_luv_strats supports Team VICIOUS
If it makes you feel better they spent far more money on their patents and enforcing them than they ever brought in on royalties. karma.

Originally posted by psiborg: Don't get one...I relate buying an AKA product to trying Crack. Sure it's fun at the start but then you just want more and more until you're ready to sell your family to a shady guy in a zoot suit for that FSP/Tarantula/Halfmill/Fullmill/Bonebrake etc. Damn now I've gone and soiled myself."
Furious Paintball Lotus barrel review .686 .689 .693 bores
i_luv_strats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 PM #24
robfromabove
...taking over the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomaoutrage09 View Post
People finally wised up and realized they were over paying for the product they were getting and had enough of it.
I'm not sure that's entirely the reason for their 'demise', I think it's closer to the fact that they reached market saturation with their products and when the demand slowed down they stayed at production levels needed for their products 2-3 years ago. LSS, bad business sense.
robfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM #25
VicodinES
The Widow's Son

The patents were not what was stopping AKA from making markers. AKA signed an agreement that was completely independent from anything that the patents had to do. Even if the supreme court overturned smart parts rights to the patents, AKA can not manufacture an electronic gun ever again.

According to Dan, the agreement was specific to certain people, as well as the company, so it's not like Aaron can start making guns again under a new company called screwsmartparts. Virtually everyone who did design work at AKA has left, and it's just Larry and Eileen running the shop.
VicodinES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 PM #26
VicodinES
The Widow's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfromabove View Post
I'm not sure that's entirely the reason for their 'demise', I think it's closer to the fact that they reached market saturation with their products and when the demand slowed down they stayed at production levels needed for their products 2-3 years ago. LSS, bad business sense.
Along with dumping 12 million into CNC machines and equipment using the patents as collateral for the loans right before the economy went into the crapper.
I do applaud them for trying to keep it made in america, when everyone else but bob long is shipping their stuff overseas, but it was a bad decision, amongst many other bad decisions.
VicodinES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 PM #27
sleeplessmonkey
The crazy harmless one

As much as I detested SP for their business practices, this seems to be more of a result of the current economy and failure to adapt than anything else. A quick look on the dealers forums will let you see just how many fields and shops are closing due to lack of business. Paintball is one of those things that gets cut out of a budget early when times get tough. As much as I wish I could go out every week if not twice a week like I was doing this time 2 years ago, if it comes to car payment and rent being paid on time or playing paintball... well I pay my bills on time and try to make it out when i can save a bit here and there.

From what I understand the SP patents would be sold and enforced, even if they did not, DYE and WDP still have enough to keep competition low. What would really allow a company like AKA, or say AGD to return to the market would be the expiration of those patents and singed contracts.

Blue Marq7 : Black 04 Viking FSP Milled : Black 03 Gen-E Matrix : Blue Gen3 Quest
sleeplessmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:46 PM #28
custar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicodinES View Post
The patents were not what was stopping AKA from making markers. AKA signed an agreement that was completely independent from anything that the patents had to do. Even if the supreme court overturned smart parts rights to the patents, AKA can not manufacture an electronic gun ever again.

According to Dan, the agreement was specific to certain people, as well as the company, so it's not like Aaron can start making guns again under a new company called screwsmartparts. Virtually everyone who did design work at AKA has left, and it's just Larry and Eileen running the shop.
I agree AKA/LMP is gone for the reasons you stated. However, if no party to the agreements is around or cares to enforce the agreements, Aaron could design and/or build new markers. Also, whoever winds up as the assignee of the patents and the agreement(s) bout waive, revoke, or modify the agreement to allow Aaron to make or design an electro marker.

custar

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

WTB Action Markers Diadem

Old feedback
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM #29
jimmyjobob
long live drop forwards

jimmyjobob is a founding member
Quote:
As much as I detested SP for their business practices, this seems to be more of a result of the current economy and failure to adapt than anything else. A quick look on the dealers forums will let you see just how many fields and shops are closing due to lack of business. Paintball is one of those things that gets cut out of a budget early when times get tough.
True.

Hate to rain on any parade but even if AKA or any AKA related folks could .....With the current economic situation, why would anyone even venture into new products at this time. Lack of demand is lack of demand.

Hell, the price of paint never came down ....

AKA on the FB
jimmyjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:47 AM #30
robfromabove
...taking over the world

Not to mention how far STD has come... What's it been, like four years since they updated their website? I doubt Aaron has time or motivation to get back into it with his family taking priority ATM, unless someone can convince me otherwise.
robfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 PM #31
oklahomaoutrage09
**** SP

The thing is, there is demand, once word gets out that a marker is the "new viking" it will sell. Look how that label worked for Macdev, i'm not knocking anything macdev, but the cyborg was just a unknown marker produced by an unknown company until the aka crowd moved towards them and then people started getting interested in them. Now would be the perfect time to start the designs of a new marker, the demand will come back, and what better way to jump back into the game than to release a marker right when that demand is back.

Viking
PneuMag
Old 02-15-2010, 03:40 PM #32
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Mac Dev's success can't really be linked to AKA owners specifically. That's a pretty foolish connection to make.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:40 PM #33
bracer028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro #66 View Post
Mac Dev's success can't really be linked to AKA owners specifically. That's a pretty foolish connection to make.
amen.

macdev has its own cult followers. Macdev is also the most innovative company in the last 3 years.

thats the reason why its been successful.
bracer028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:50 PM #34
paintballer50505

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer028 View Post
amen.

macdev has its own cult followers. Macdev is also the most innovative company in the last 3 years.

thats the reason why its been successful.
They also put there guns in the hands of the most popular teams over the last few years
paintballer50505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:02 PM #35
Wenuliveudie
100% Organic

Wenuliveudie plays in the PSP
Wenuliveudie donated to help Peyton Trent
Wenuliveudie helped look for balloons
Also, their products, you know...work.

Old Feedback +16
Don't lose touch.
Wenuliveudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 PM #36
imtgod

mmmm mac dev evil m.
imtgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM #37
oklahomaoutrage09
**** SP

I'm not putting all the credit there, but seriously, everyone was shooting vikings up until the lawsuit, then a few guys started shooting borgs and thats when macdev got big, I never said they weren't quality. They were just a small business like aka.

Viking
PneuMag
Old 02-15-2010, 10:03 PM #38
Wenuliveudie
100% Organic

It's also the same time they started advertising and the same time they released the Cyborg.

Correlation =/= Causation

Old Feedback +16
Don't lose touch.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:40 AM #39
custar

It certainly helped that AKA/LMP produced Cyborg bodies for a while and AKA fans attested to the quality.

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

WTB Action Markers Diadem

Old feedback
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 AM #40
Wenuliveudie
100% Organic

MacDev publicly stated they did not use Merlin extrusions to produce their markers.

Old Feedback +16
Don't lose touch.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 AM #41
curly2k3
O' Herro Preeeez

curly2k3 helped look for balloons
curly2k3 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
curly2k3 owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
curly2k3 is Legendary
and fyi, macdev had been making bodies for markers like race for years prior to releasing their own.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 AM #42
skinnyfatguy
AKA-holic

skinnyfatguy is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenuliveudie View Post
MacDev publicly stated they did not use Merlin extrusions to produce their markers.
Correct, they are a 1/4" longer, but that's the only difference. MacDev deserves the success they've received for making high quality products. That being said, both AKA and MacDev catered to a niche market who liked the idea of purchasing from a smaller company who had higher than average tolerances and quality control. Had AKA continued to manufacture guns, they would have clearly been close competitors. How successful either one would have been is purely speculation.
skinnyfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote