Advertisement
Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 PM #23
fainerbainer
CK

has been a member for 10 years
fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
yerp, the only thing that Canon has over Nikon is pricing on older L series lenses vs. Nikon comparable. But anything released that's new is expensive across the board.

It's ridiculous how much better the d700 is over the 5dii. No comparison. Plus all the little manual buttons for Nikon is amazing to have without having to hold down buttons and a scroll wheel. Just flip the switch and move on.

If you aren't looking at the 5diii or the 1div or 1dx then Nikon is the way to go IMO. I thought I'd hate Nikon (well, I do their entry level bodies...nasty compared to Canon for lens selection) but pro-bodies Nikon has it on lockdown.
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM #24
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fainerbainer View Post
yerp, the only thing that Canon has over Nikon is pricing on older L series lenses vs. Nikon comparable. But anything released that's new is expensive across the board.

It's ridiculous how much better the d700 is over the 5dii. No comparison. Plus all the little manual buttons for Nikon is amazing to have without having to hold down buttons and a scroll wheel. Just flip the switch and move on.

If you aren't looking at the 5diii or the 1div or 1dx then Nikon is the way to go IMO. I thought I'd hate Nikon (well, I do their entry level bodies...nasty compared to Canon for lens selection) but pro-bodies Nikon has it on lockdown.
This, all of this.

I've always said that an entry level starter NEEDS to go Canon and that Nikon is reserved for someone with a year or two under their belt. The 5DII makes some great images when it can but compared to everything that multiple Nikon bodies have over it, the purchase isn't justifiable imo.

The 5DIII and 1DX are absolutely killer but Canon never put out a strong all-around full frame camera before those came along.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM #25
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

StosPhotography is a Paintball photographer
not saying any of you are wrong or anything like that of the sort, just playing the devil's advocate/food for thought:

you really think that once you get to the point of "needing" such an upper tiered/professional body that it makes THAT big of a difference whether your shooting a 1d3/5d2/comparable nikon body? With the experience you/I/we have that you will produce suchhhh better images with a different body?

just curious cud be off my rocker

StosPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM #26
reddogphoto
BECAUSE ST:P

Could I continue to shoot with my current equipment? Sure. It's not a need, it's really more personal preference for gear, and a desire to push limits, learn a new system, and mix things up a little. Am I expecting it to make my images considerably better? Not at all.

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one. http://closefocusmedia.com
reddogphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 PM #27
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

pbjunkiee is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
well with a d3s......

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 PM #28
outkast kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by StosPhotography View Post
not saying any of you are wrong or anything like that of the sort, just playing the devil's advocate/food for thought:

you really think that once you get to the point of "needing" such an upper tiered/professional body that it makes THAT big of a difference whether your shooting a 1d3/5d2/comparable nikon body? With the experience you/I/we have that you will produce suchhhh better images with a different body?

just curious cud be off my rocker
If the 5D2 didn't have such a terrible af system compared to the d700 I would say that it didn't matter. However, that fact that the 5D2, pioneer camera, has the same or possibly even a worse af system than my 5 year old rebel is pretty disappointing.

By comparison, the D700 has a 51 point af system and can shoot full frame up to 8fps with a grip. No Canon body besides a 1D has ever come close to that until recently.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM #29
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

bahaha good answer, I was just simply curious... I have been shooting sports wayyyy less than usually before, and doing a lot more portraiture and just non-sports lifestyle/landscape whatever you want to call it... I have been considering "downsizing" to a 5d2 to mix it up like you said, and go FF... probs wont happen haha just a thought

edit: truth on that ^ last statement haha

Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM #30
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

pbjunkiee is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
just switch too, pick up a used d700

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM #31
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

bhaha I don't think ill go that extreme... My involvement in photography has gone down a little bit as my commitment with the military (ROTC) has been picking up like nobody's business... :sadface:

Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM #32
reddogphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast kid View Post
If the 5D2 didn't have such a terrible af system compared to the d700 I would say that it didn't matter. However, that fact that the 5D2, pioneer camera, has the same or possibly even a worse af system than my 5 year old rebel is pretty disappointing.

By comparison, the D700 has a 51 point af system and can shoot full frame up to 8fps with a grip. No Canon body besides a 1D has ever come close to that until recently.
It is what it is, the 5D Mark II was built to a price point. For those that wanted better AF, there was the 1Ds Mark III. Look at the 5D Mark III, they improved the AF, but at a heavy additional price premium.

Anyway, Nikon and Canon appear to have vastly different priorities when it comes to their build philosophies, and it is seeming more and more like Nikon better fits the direction I'm evolving into.

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one. http://closefocusmedia.com
Old 11-28-2012, 07:59 PM #33
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

that's cool!! thats good! I was simply curious, not trying to be a **** haha

Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM #34
reddogphoto

Oh no man, I gotcha. There's a lot of 100% gear minded fools out there that would hop systems every time the latest body in a class came out if it weren't so troublesome to change out glass.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 PM #35
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

well if i sell my car, my phone, and soul and get a 1dx, ill definitely be a better photographer...

Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM #36
outkast kid

Stos I'm kinda moving in the same direction, away from sports. I almost went through with selling my 7D to fund a 5DII but I just can't live with that AF system. I'm just gonna save up for a 5DIII.

Red - the 5DII was $2699 at launch, the 5DIII is between $2800 - $3000 depending on location. Take inflation into account and there really isn't much of an additional price premium at all.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 PM #37
reddogphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast kid View Post
Red - the 5DII was $2699 at launch, the 5DIII is between $2800 - $3000 depending on location. Take inflation into account and there really isn't much of an additional price premium at all.
http://www.adorama.com/ICA5DM3.html $3299 after the $200 Canon EOY rebate.

But if you want to save some cash and get a Mark II, I know where a very clean, professionally used one will soon be available.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 PM #38
outkast kid

http://www.primotronix.com/tron/prod... Qqk4AodQh0AUw

Just have to look a bit harder.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 PM #39
reddogphoto

Yeah, sorry but if I'm buying new I only deal with well-known, established retailers and not fly-by night online discount houses. I work in retail, you get what you pay for and if that's not in the product, it's in the service behind the sale. Apples and oranges.

I'm sure primotronix doesn't have a Helen Oster on staff.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 PM #40
outkast kid

Eh, I bought my 7D off an ebay store for 1500 when they were still 1700 retail, it got to me in less time than estimated and 93,000 shutter actuations later it's still working just fine. Sure there are definitely some sketch places but primotronix isn't the only retailer selling the camera for sub-3k.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 AM #41
.Outlaw.
Master of the Blank Look

.Outlaw. plays in the MiLP
.Outlaw. is Boss
Reading this, I'm immensely glad that I have small/moderate sized hands. I just upgraded to the 5DIII as my first full-frame. I plan on gripping it just for the convenience of portait shooting (and I got used to it on my Rebel).
Old 11-29-2012, 05:22 AM #42
reddogphoto

I hate a gripped body. After experiencing the tight, integrated, and slightly smaller feel of a pro body, I could never go back to a grip. It just feels wrong. Entirely my preference though.