Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-06-2014, 09:06 PM #43
Red Leg
Changing Perceptions

I know we spent a whole day in DC just at 2 monuments. Don't forget the Smithsonian, and all the other monuments and museums. Plenty to do in the DC area and still spend time at the venue meeting vendors!

Red Leg Action Sports is the Paintball source for the Clarksville, Tennessee area. We offer all the supplies and services needed for the beginner up to the most experienced players! We also have group rates and military discounts!
Red Leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2014, 12:42 AM #44
lefty007

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
lefty007 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
When I travel from another country, the location in the U.S.A. doesn't matter. The value in the form of: information, contacts, classes, vendors, knowledge, social, and show specials makes my trip to the PB EX, always worth while. I've changed my business for the better, many times, from what I've learned at the PB EX. I've been to most of the PB EXs. It gets better each year. The PB EX committee does listen to it's customers and vendors.
I do know that the hidden costs (unload fees, electricians required to plug in an electric cord, loading fees) of running an event in Vegas, and other union shops and places, can double the price of a booth from a vendor. Customers may not be aware of these things but it hurts the vendors, most vendors would like to pass on the deals to the customers in product vouchers, than pay extra fees to load and unload.
No matter where this event will be held, the event gets better each year.
Canada
lefty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 AM #45
Nicky T
Eclipse Customer Service

Nicky T works for a Paintball manufacturer
Nicky T supports Bob Gurnsey
Nicky T plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty007 View Post
When I travel from another country, the location in the U.S.A. doesn't matter. The value in the form of: information, contacts, classes, vendors, knowledge, social, and show specials makes my trip to the PB EX, always worth while. I've changed my business for the better, many times, from what I've learned at the PB EX. I've been to most of the PB EXs. It gets better each year. The PB EX committee does listen to it's customers and vendors.
I do know that the hidden costs (unload fees, electricians required to plug in an electric cord, loading fees) of running an event in Vegas, and other union shops and places, can double the price of a booth from a vendor. Customers may not be aware of these things but it hurts the vendors, most vendors would like to pass on the deals to the customers in product vouchers, than pay extra fees to load and unload.
Great reply and I couldn't agree more

Nicky T
Planet Eclipse

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NickyTruter
Nicky T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 PM #46
Unholy780
UHOLY

Unholy780 is playing at Living Legends VII
Unholy780 is playing at Living Legends VIII
Unholy780 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
Unholy780 supports DLX Technology
im going to try to buy every thing
(LOOKING FOR COMPLETE EDMONTON IMPACT SL8R)
$$$$ CASH IS READY$$$$
!!!!!OFFER UP!!!!
TXT 587-589-5150
Unholy780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:40 PM #47
robdavy
Field Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty007 View Post
Not that it makes any diffence because it's not changing, but for us to go from Edmonton to different places in the US makes a HUGE difference

Edmonton to Las Vegas on the dates of the event - $509.45 inc tax (direct with West Jet)
Edmonton to Washinton DC on the dates of the event - $1,352.24 inc tax (via Los Angeles)

There's two of us going, so that's a difference of $1,686. Not a small dollar value.

Even for somewhere more East (Toronto for example) it's still cheap to get to Vegas.
Toronto > Vegas - $594.40 return, direct
Toronto > Washington DC - $532.44 return, via Detroit

For Canada, Vegas is simply much easier, cheaper and quicker to get it.

And don't get me started on Hotel costs. That Hyatt is $200/night. Vegas is a wash with cheap (and expensive hotels).

Sure, it's more expensive for exhibitors and organizers, but it's cheaper for attendees. All comes down to the balance between your two different customers (exhibitors vs attendees) and the needs of each.
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 PM #48
rchard
Paintball Extravaganza

rchard donated to help Peyton Trent
rchard supports Pev's Paintball
Event Site

I'm not going to beat this issue up but want to make a couple of points:

We have been in contact with facilities in Vegas and the bottom line is unless we pick a facility that is slated to be torn down our event does not meet the criteria for getting competitive costs as we are a small event, no food & beverage (as in a banquet) and use a large amount of space. And to put the union labor cost into perspective - 4 exhibitors paid over $40,000 of on site material handling costs in Atlanta so you can imagine what all 70 would collectively pay. Vegas has these type of fees.

Also the Hyatt Dulles did not charge $200 for a room at the 2014 event and will not be charging that at the 2015 event.

When picking sites we actually do airfare samples from various locations in the US, a couple from Canada and from 8-10 other countries. A lot of time and effort is put into site selection. We try to come up with the most economical location for stores, fields and exhibtiors. As with locations of many paintball events, location will not please all.

I think the main point Lefty was trying to make is that whether you spend $200 or $1,000, if you pick up one good idea in a seminar or from another field owner to many a few extra dollars a week or month the payback is there. If making a decision to attend is based on the location then you most likely won't see a return. The purpose of Paintball Extravaganza is to provide an avenue to learn about products, business and to gain knowledge from others with like business concerns, problems and solutions. The purpose now or in the beginning (2005) has never been to provide a vacation opportunity or business write off.

We have seen continual growth of attendance at the 11 events held since it;s beginning in 2005 and expect to see a record number of stores and fields along with every major paintball manufacturer at the 2015 Paintball Extravaganza International which will be returning to the Hyatt Dulles in the Washington DC Area, February 24 - 26.

rchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 PM #49
robdavy
Field Owner

Thanks for the thoughts Richard!

I guess my take is just that a lot of paintball businesses (attendees) are small, mom-and-pop style businesses to whom the difference between $200 and $1000 is massive. Where as your exhibitors, in principle, are larger organizations to whom the difference between $10,000 to exhibit and $20,000 to exhibit is not even noticed.

"The purpose now or in the beginning (2005) has never been to provide a vacation opportunity or business write off. "
I totally get that, but a lot of other tradeshows don't take such a hard stance. One of the many reasons people do shows in cities like Vegas is because for a lot of attendees, going to a tradeshow is the closest thing they get to a vacation, so if they can tick the vacation box at the same time as the tradeshow box, and get the company to pay for it, they're much happier. Don't under-estimate the value of that to a lot of people.

As you said, it's been growing, so at some point you'll have the momentum to be able to make a change that won't be entirely good for your exhibitors but awesome for the attendees. The exhibitors will suck it up and still come because you've reached the critical mass where they really don't have any choice but to come, because it's become such an important part of their marketing.

My background is in events and conferences (on the technical side), so my thoughts are based on many dealings with national and international conferences and tours, not just ideological "I want it to be better for me, screw everyone else"
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:06 PM #50
Unholy780
UHOLY

Unholy780 is playing at Living Legends VII
Unholy780 is playing at Living Legends VIII
Unholy780 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
Unholy780 supports DLX Technology
might be able to make it!
(LOOKING FOR COMPLETE EDMONTON IMPACT SL8R)
$$$$ CASH IS READY$$$$
!!!!!OFFER UP!!!!
TXT 587-589-5150
Unholy780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 AM #51
lefty007

Annual Supporting Member
lefty007 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Wow, I just checked flights from Edmonton to Washington DC, and compared Saskatoon to Washington DC. $510 for me (Saskatoon), and $850 from Edmonton. I can't believe the difference.
I'm booking my flights now.
Canada
lefty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:02 PM #52
yourPBfriend
Your Paintball ProShop

yourPBfriend is playing at Living Legends VII
yourPBfriend has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
yourPBfriend owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Last year was a blast, after I recover from cup I'll be ready to roll. Should be fun. Hopefully get some products ready to ship by then from the guys who showed last year.

#1 Seller Of Used Guns - See Our Huge Inventory

yourPBfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:05 PM #53
Chaoticredneck
one crazy southern md'er

hopefully i will be able to attend this year. i had a gteat time last year
Chaoticredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:02 PM #54
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 posts videos on PbNation
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Ill be there
Old 11-12-2014, 05:48 PM #55
Astig
WHIL'S PAINTBALL

plays in the NXL
Astig owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Astig plays in the APPA D4 division
Astig owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
WHIL'S PB in Jacksonville going to be there!

Last edited by Astig : 11-18-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Astig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:48 PM #56
Daspied

Daspied has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Nice, Looking forward to more Paintball exposure in the DMV.
Daspied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:05 PM #57
Outlaw Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
Outlaw Paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Vouchers

Will the $100 voucher program be back this year?
Houston Paintball League
[url]Outlawpaintballfield.com[/url)
(URL)houstonpaintballleague.com(/url)
512-252-1664
Outlaw Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:01 PM #58
Splatz/Jok3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwing7x View Post
dam i wanna go but as john said i dont own a feild or store
if you work at a field or shop you can get in.

look forward to seeing you all next year
Splatz/Jok3r is offline   Reply With Quote