Old 12-04-2009, 11:47 PM #22
Rho
The Cake is a Lie!

has been a member for 10 years
Rho donated to help Peyton Trent
Rho helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatyr View Post
Eh. A lot of people go that route, but those people are typically the lawyers coming from state schools, working for the government/small firms making $60,000. PS isn't a very good major for law school.

And this is one of the concerns that have been expressed about higher education in its current state: that it's more of a white-collar trade school than an institution of academia.

But to answer your question, no, there are no liberal arts majors that regularly place a graduate in high paying jobs. Maybe economics does, but meh.
Because nothing is worse than going to a state school

Rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 AM #23
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rho View Post
Because nothing is worse than going to a state school
State school diplomas are in high supply my friend.

Besides, everyone knows private school > public school.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:22 AM #24
dot.nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Philosophy teaches more than how to be a philosopher. It teaches critical thinking, logic, and problem solving.
i know, i took the class and explored the field. my self-interpretation (as that one person put it) of the entire field is that its a lot of bull.

btw how've you been, i haven't seen you since pbreview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWeasel2k4 View Post

Philosophy at first seems dumb but it all depends on how you look at the class and use it for yourself (self interpretation, a great ideal). Although my philosophy professor lectures until new year's and is never wrong about anything, his class has been very beneficial to me as a person this semester.
Er...what?

My feedback:
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=722679

Last edited by dot.nation : 12-05-2009 at 02:25 AM.
dot.nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:05 AM #25
Rho
The Cake is a Lie!

Quote:
State school diplomas are in high supply my friend.

Besides, everyone knows private school > public school.
Whereas private schools are in equally high supply...

Or are you saying that people who go to ivy league colleges will get better jobs?

I don't have to tell you that most private colleges are on par with state colleges. The exception being of course, ivy league colleges. And even then, the quality of education is not significantly greater than state colleges, or at least not enough to merit the prestige given by a diploma from, say, Harvard.

Sure, those fancy diplomas will get you a better job at first, but after ten years in your field people will look at your career and not your education. So... what is word? **** you?

And yes, I am aware of your dodgy.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:20 PM #26
Gaps

Gaps owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
UT is one of the original 8 public Ivy schools.

so suck on that one.

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3214945
Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 AM #27
Agent Johnson

Agent Johnson supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
UT is one of the original 8 public Ivy schools.

so suck on that one.
That argument is like saying your bad grades in high school are cancelled out cause you had great grades in 2nd grade.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 AM #28
Captain A v2.0
2romo4u

Captain A v2.0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Johnson View Post
That argument is like saying your bad grades in high school are cancelled out cause you had great grades in 2nd grade.
Or...not.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 AM #29
Rho
The Cake is a Lie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Johnson View Post
*Canceled
*Because

So... You're saying that excelling in grammar school while failing at high school is congruent to the idea that all state colleges are not equal?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM #30
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Quote:
Whereas private schools are in equally high supply...

Or are you saying that people who go to ivy league colleges will get better jobs?

I don't have to tell you that most private colleges are on par with state colleges. The exception being of course, ivy league colleges. And even then, the quality of education is not significantly greater than state colleges, or at least not enough to merit the prestige given by a diploma from, say, Harvard.

Sure, those fancy diplomas will get you a better job at first, but after ten years in your field people will look at your career and not your education. So... what is word? **** you?

And yes, I am aware of your dodgy.
Hm, the rebuttal I would have given would be that state schools are actually a bunch of smaller colleges rolled into one. Whereas a business degree from xxxxx State University may not be "prestigious," it very well could be that a biochem degree is. For instance, at Purdue, they have great / competitive / prestigious Engineering programs but don't really have much in the way of Journalism.
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 AM #31
Rho
The Cake is a Lie!

Quote:
Hm, the rebuttal I would have given would be that state schools are actually a bunch of smaller colleges rolled into one. Whereas a business degree from xxxxx State University may not be "prestigious," it very well could be that a biochem degree is. For instance, at Purdue, they have great / competitive / prestigious Engineering programs but don't really have much in the way of Journalism.
I thought that was too obvious to say... Has anyone ever bothered to say "The Nazis killed people"? Not since fifth grade.

OSU= Engineering and Veterinarian
OU= Medical and Law (as far as reputation goes. the main undergraduate is Social sciences)
SWOSU= Accounting and Education.

But of course, OU has a wider recognition than SWOSU

Old 12-07-2009, 09:36 AM #32
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:
but it seems that businesses prefer their CEO's and presidents to have liberal arts educations as opposed to technical educations.
well thats interesting to me.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...shots/387.html

Quote:
1. Exxon Mobil
CEO: Rex W. Tillerson
B.S. from The University of Texas at Austin in civil engineering

2. Wal-Mart Stores
Michael T. Duke
Duke earned a BS in Industrial Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1971

3. Chevron
David J. O'Reilly
In 1968, he graduated with a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from University College, Dublin, from which he also received an honorary doctor of science degree in June 2002

4. ConocoPhillips
James J. Mulva
Mr. Mulva earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in business administration from the University of Texas at Austin's McCombs School of Business

5. General Electric
Jeffrey R. Immelt
an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School
The CEO's of the top 5 fortune 500 companies are engineering and business majors.....
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:52 AM #33
FrontBallin

FrontBallin is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Philosophy teaches more than how to be a philosopher. It teaches critical thinking, logic, and problem solving.
So does engineering. And it gives you the technical skills to actually implement solutions.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 AM #34
dot.nation

Quote:
I thought that was too obvious to say... Has anyone ever bothered to say "The Nazis killed people"? Not since fifth grade.
man, college kids come up with great analogies.

My feedback:
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=722679
dot.nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 AM #35
calebh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Arse Pirate View Post
I didn't mean it was bull****, I said it was a ******* major. As in, what can this degree be used for? Are there any well paying jobs (50k out of school) that look at Liberal Art majors?
if 50k is what you consider well-paying out of school, i pity/envy you. especially in this economy.

that's the average household income for all the US, and 20% of households make do on less than half that. as a single guy straight out of school, how much money do you need?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 AM #36
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
well thats interesting to me.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...shots/387.html

The CEO's of the top 5 fortune 500 companies are engineering and business majors.....
I said liberal arts educations (from private universities), not liberal arts majors.

A good summary:
Quote:
While the specialized skills that come with other majors may seem to be an advantage, the universality of liberal-arts skills truly is your ace in the hole because you are not limited by a specialization. Employers can train new hires in specialized skills on the job. But they can't train workers to have the critical-thinking skills, problem-solving skills, and the capacity for lifelong learning that today's organizations require. Experts say that most people will change careers five to seven times in a lifetime; thus, specialized skills may be of limited value in the long run, while the depth and breadth of liberal-arts skills are limitless. "Well-rounded" is a modifier frequently applied to liberal-arts grads. Liberal-arts grads can see the "big picture."
http://www.quintcareers.com/marketin...s_degrees.html

Also, problem solving from an engineer standpoint is completely different from problem solving from a philosopher's standpoint. Heck, it's the entire premise of the Dilbert cartoons. Engineers are calculating and analytical while philosophers are more abstract. Think "left brain vs. right brain."
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos

Last edited by Crede777 : 12-09-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM #37
Gaps

Gaps owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:

Also, problem solving from an engineer standpoint is completely different from problem solving from a philosopher's standpoint. Heck, it's the entire premise of the Dilbert cartoons. Engineers are calculating and analytical while philosophers are more abstract. Think "left brain vs. right brain."
lol, that's the transition i made... maybe i just wasn't meant to be an engineer.

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3214945
Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote