Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM #1
Fdnynyr

Fdnynyr owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Fdnynyr has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fdnynyr has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Etek 4 Settings

SO I recently just bought and Etek 4 ( my first non tippmann gun). So far I love it, however I have a few questions about it. I know how to access and change the settings however I have no idea how Dwell, Debounce, and Ball Detection time can effect my game and breakage. So far I've broken a few paintballs ( I ordered the cure 4 bolt the other day but due to the hurricane it's delayed) and was wondering what all of these mean so I can learn to change them for each game and the weather. I plan on playing in the summer and winter so I would like to know how to adjust this so I can prevent ball breakage as much as possible. Thanks!
Fdnynyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM #2
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

has been a member for 10 years
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
In all honesty...read the manual. It explains what all those do...without us having to type it all out. I would leave the marker at stock settings until you have at least 10 cases of paint through it...it needs to break in. I think you jumped the gun buying the cure 4...depending on the weather where you are at and te type of paint you were using more than likely caused the breaks.

Proudly Sponsored By: Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM #3
Fdnynyr

I was switching between Marbalizer and Evil. The manual vaguely explains what these settings do. I have no familiarity with these settings so I figured I'd just ask for some clarity about what each setting contributes.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM #4
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

tonycon is Legendary
Personally I think it's the paint...I a not a fan of marbalizer...and evil is extremely brittle and where you are at...and the temps will have to do with the breaks. The cure 4 is alright...don't know if its worth the ching tho.

Game footage
Old 11-03-2012, 06:59 PM #5
Fdnynyr

I think it was a combo of the paint and the gun needing breaking in. I bought two cases of Draxxus midnight as some practice paint to break the gun in and didn't have a break at all which is good. I also had 1 break with evil the other day then no problems. I'm still not sure what I'm using on Nov 17th at the outdoor scenario I'm going to. Probably some polar ice unless you have different advice for cold weather paint.

Also I'm still not sure how to if I should mess with the other settings at all, most people not to bother, but some people said it may help in winter.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 AM #6
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

tonycon is Legendary
you can raise the dwell a little bit so you can turn your hpr down. i would just stick to winter paint...it's starting to get chilly! break the marker in...+/- 10 cases...it will smooth out as well as gain some efficiency. over bore the paint/barrel in cold weather too.

Game footage
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM #7
theVicious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycon View Post
you can raise the dwell a little bit so you can turn your hpr down. i would just stick to winter paint...it's starting to get chilly! break the marker in...+/- 10 cases...it will smooth out as well as gain some efficiency. over bore the paint/barrel in cold weather too.

It will be a little hard on paint till its broken in. Mine was destroying paint in the breach at first, 4-5 cases in it smoothed out and has only gotten better.

As for terminology...

Dwell: how long the valve stays open. The longer it stays open the more air comes out. Higher dwell will allow you to run at lower operating pressures (controlled by the hpr), and lower dwell will require a higher operating pressure.

Debounce: electronically filters your trigger pulls. Micro switches can have false reads, giving you more than one shot per trigger pull. Set it at 3 or 4. If you find yourselft shooting more than you pull the trigger (in semi) then bump it up again. This isn't a big issue unless you play tourney where it can cost you points.

Ball detection time: There are lazer eyes in the breach that detect when a ball has been chambered and is ready to fire. The ball detection time is how long a ball must be detected before the marker will fire. Balls will often bounce in the breach as they land, going back up the feedneck partially before coming back down and resting. If this setting is too low the ball may still be partially in the feedneck or not at a fully rested state. That=broken paint.

Good luck, it's a great marker.

Last edited by theVicious1 : 11-29-2012 at 06:21 PM.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 PM #8
weberacin

IMO, DO NOT mess with the settings. leave them stock till the gun is broke in, you may be using too small of a bore on the barrel if you have that option.

In Memory of Bryce Hotchkiss SG39
High Desert Mafia/Crossfire

Meridian, ID
weberacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM #9
Fdnynyr

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna leave the settings for now but thank you to thevicious1 for explaining what each one does. I've put about 2 cases through so far and I am starting to notice a difference. It's been getting much better.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM #10
MRDSpc4
OIF VETERAN

MRDSpc4 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
MRDSpc4 supports Ninja Paintball
I would leave it stock on the settings i have had for awhile now and i have not changed any settings. I like to use rps premium paintballs most of the time and i have never had a break
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM #11
AllWowNoSham
Free Agent

AllWowNoSham plays in the APPA beginner division
AllWowNoSham has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Etek 4?
AllWowNoSham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 AM #12
Neuroman

Neuroman owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Neuroman supports DLX Technology
I have an Etek 4, and in my opinion you should leave it on stock settings until you've put at least 6-8 cases through it and break it in. Then follow this to dial in the settings https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3051249
Neuroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 AM #13
realbass1

realbass1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
realbass1 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
realbass1 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
when breaking in the etek, do you actually need to put paint through it or will firing without paint but with air suffice?
realbass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 AM #14
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

tonycon is Legendary
shoot paint...dry firing the marker to break it in could damage the marker.

Game footage
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM #15
Greg_ReaperCrew

New to PBN and new to speedball I also just got am etek4, (also my first non-Tippmann) lol
Greg_ReaperCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 AM #16
Commandd0g

Commandd0g is playing at Living Legends VI
Commandd0g is an NCPA player
Commandd0g has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
might as well be the third to say this, but i just got my Etek 4 (first non Tippmann) now i just need to go use this thing (and learn how to use this more complicated thing)
Commandd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:03 AM #17
Mason74

Mason74 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Mason74 supports Team VICIOUS
Mason74 is for the Gunfight
Mason74 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdnynyr View Post
SO I recently just bought and Etek 4 ( my first non tippmann gun). So far I love it, however I have a few questions about it. I know how to access and change the settings however I have no idea how Dwell, Debounce, and Ball Detection time can effect my game and breakage. So far I've broken a few paintballs ( I ordered the cure 4 bolt the other day but due to the hurricane it's delayed) and was wondering what all of these mean so I can learn to change them for each game and the weather. I plan on playing in the summer and winter so I would like to know how to adjust this so I can prevent ball breakage as much as possible. Thanks!

I bought one and have had no issues with it. I have the cure 4 bolt, and I turned my dwell to 9.5. Also, I have my ball detection time set at 5 ms.

Haven't chopped a ball yet.
Mason74 is offline   Reply With Quote