PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 PM #1
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Obama understands "Typical White People"

Obama describes his white grandmother, whom he has said made occasional racist comments, as a 'typical white person.'

Imagine the outcry if John McCain described someone as a 'typical black person?'

Honestly, I used to prefer meeting Clinton in the general election but Obama seems to be even more beatable.

Last edited by Kellster : 03-20-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Kellster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 PM #2
JcKa

He explained. She's not a "typical white person" because she made racist comments, she's a "typical white person" because she's been...(fill in what he said in the video here).

Last edited by JcKa : 03-20-2008 at 09:18 PM.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 PM #3
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcKa View Post
He explained. She's not a "typical white person" because she made racist comments, she's a "typical white person" because she's been...(fill in what he said in the video here).
In no context is the brand "typical white person" appropriate, especially from a presidential candidate.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:22 PM #4
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden

has been a member for 10 years
In no context is the brand "gook" appropriate, especially from a presidential candidate.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:24 PM #5
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuktAwnFoniks View Post
In no context is the brand "gook" appropriate, especially from a presidential candidate.
You also shouldn't refer to Nazis as "Krauts," because it is offensive...
Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 PM #6
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden

And referring to the Black Panthers as "******s" is completely acceptable simply because they were fascists

Regardless of who he is referring to, using racial slurs is much more racist and offensive than anything Obama says in this video.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 PM #7
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Obama talks about race. OMG!

What he said was true in regards to myself and in general.

Most white people feel uncomfortable if they are in a situation where they are the only white person in a room of black people or if they see a "shady" and by shady I mean dressed as most 16-30 males tend to be, black person walking down the street. It's not racist, because I feel that way, it's because of how I and most white people have been conditioned.

I find it funny how so many people who are constantly harping about how this world is becoming too PC, are suddenly all pissed when Obama starts talking about race in a substantial manner.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:33 PM #8
Truthiness

Yes, the black man raised by a white mother is a racist.
Truthiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:36 PM #9
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post

Most white people feel uncomfortable if they are in a situation where they are the only white person in a room of black people or if they see a "shady" and by shady I mean dressed as most 16-30 males tend to be, black person walking down the street. It's not racist, because I feel that way, it's because of how I and most white people have been conditioned.

I find it funny how so many people who are constantly harping about how this world is becoming too PC, are suddenly all pissed when Obama starts talking about race in a substantial manner.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I also love how the right keeps *****ing that Obama and his liberal gang are focusing too much on race. How many posts in here from the Anti-Obama League have brought up what a racist Obama is? Who is actually focusing too much on race here?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 PM #10
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
And referring to the Black Panthers as "******s" is completely acceptable simply because they were fascists

Regardless of who he is referring to, using racial slurs is much more racist and offensive than anything Obama says in this video.
McCain referred to his captors that tortured him for five and a half years as 'Gooks.' That term was actually quite common throughout the war in the same way that 'Japs' and 'Krauts' were in WWII. Newspapers used it. Is it offensive now? Yes. Was it inappropriate? Sure. But no one reacted to McCain's comments like they did with Obama's pastor. That's because what he said was much worse.

Quote:

Its not Obama's job to label someone a "typical white person." If you want to hear someone talk about race, listen to Al Sharpton.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:42 PM #11
JcKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
That's because what he said was much worse.
Oh, so the reaction determines the severity? So when an Evangelical preacher makes concretely racist remarks against Muslims or Jews and no one mentions it in the newspaper it isn't racist?

That logic does not make sense.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 PM #12
Adema3412
Give me fiction

It really says a lot about perception and how we frame issues so as to allow ourselves to hold others to a higher standard then we hold ourselves to.

I'm going to post a thread sometime this week about the Status Quo and how progressive viewpoints or actions, progressive in this only meaning to change, are attacked and framed as evil, wrong or even hypocritical by those who wish to preserve the norm.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 PM #13
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden

Quote:
McCain referred to his captors that tortured him for five and a half years as 'Gooks.' That term was actually quite common throughout the war in the same way that 'Japs' and 'Krauts' were in WWII. Newspapers used it. Is it offensive now? Yes. Was it inappropriate? Sure. But no one reacted to McCain's comments like they did with Obama's pastor. That's because what he said was much worse.
Ah, I understand now! It's okay that McCain is a racist because nobody is saying anything about it. Makes perfect sense.

And I know who McCain referred to when he made the comment, it's not an excuse.

Obama is not his pastor. John McCain however, is John McCain. Obama has distanced himself from his pastor's comments regarding race. What else should he do?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 PM #14
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcKa View Post
Oh, so the reaction determines the severity? So when an Evangelical preacher makes concretely racist remarks against Muslims or Jews and no one mentions it in the newspaper it isn't racist?
Is that preacher running for the highest office in the United States?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcKa
That logic does not make sense.
Neither does your example.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 PM #15
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Its not Obama's job to label someone a "typical white person." If you want to hear someone talk about race, listen to Al Sharpton.
Why is it not Obama's job to talk about race?

I know you feel that race isn't a problem with America, but it is. And as a presidential candidate running on a platform of change, I think the issue of race is right up his alley.

And why would I listen to Al "I hate the white man" Sharpton, Obama actually understands the issue from a balanced viewpoint and the way he speaks about race is refreshing, eloquent and insightful.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 PM #16
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Ah, I understand now! It's okay that McCain is a racist because nobody is saying anything about it. Makes perfect sense.

And I know who McCain referred to when he made the comment, it's not an excuse.
McCain has never delivered an Obamaesque speech on race, his comment never registered as 'racist' to him. He used it to refer to his sadistic captors, and many non-racist Vietnam vets still do, he never used it to refer to "typical Asian people."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuktAwnFoniks
Obama is not his pastor. John McCain however, is John McCain. Obama has distanced himself from his pastor's comments regarding race. What else should he do?
Stop going to that church and explain why he did for almost twenty years. That's what people really wanted to hear in his speech, not some **** about race. There's a reason Hillary gained 14 points on him in the polls, its because Obama did not do enough.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 PM #17
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Why is it not Obama's job to talk about race?

Because his job, among other things, is to provide a solution to the struggling economy and curb Islamofacism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412
I know you feel that race isn't a problem with America, but it is. And as a presidential candidate running on a platform of change, I think the issue of race is right up his alley.
And how is a candidate running "on a platform of change" not held accountable for lying to the public, as he did with his pastor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412
And why would I listen to Al "I hate the white man" Sharpton, Obama actually understands the issue from a balanced viewpoint and the way he speaks about race is refreshing, eloquent and insightful.
I'm glad that someone that brands his own grandmother as a "typical white person" can provide such eloquent insight on the Major Issue of Race.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:07 PM #18
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden

Quote:
McCain has never delivered an Obamaesque speech on race, his comment never registered as 'racist' to him. He used it to refer to his sadistic captors, and many non-racist Vietnam vets still do, he never used it to refer to "typical Asian people."
Saying it's not racist because he doesn't think it's racist is not a valid argument. I don't care if it was widely accepted at one point in time. I don't care who he was specifically referring to. That's like saying that it's acceptable for an old person to use the word "******" because thats simply what they were referred to as in the past and it was acceptable then.

Quote:
Stop going to that church and explain why he did for almost twenty years. That's what people really wanted to hear in his speech, not some **** about race. There's a reason Hillary gained 14 points on him in the polls, its because Obama did not do enough.
So he should denounce the church completely because he disagrees with his pastor on this certain issue? Should he divorce his wife because she said this was "the first time" she was "truly proud to be an American"?

Obama should not have to completely disassociate with someone that has obviously affected his life in a positive way, even if that person sees some things differently than he does. The only people who are worried about this are the sheep that are so strongly and easily persuaded by the media.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:10 PM #19
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:

Because his job, among other things, is to provide a solution to the struggling economy and curb Islamofacism.
So we should only address problems that you deem important? If Obama's entire campaign revolved around race I would agree with you, but it's dumb to say that he shouldn't talk about race at all.

Quote:
And how is a candidate running "on a platform of change" not held accountable for lying to the public, as he did with his pastor?
Point me to this lie, because as far as I have read, aside from one unsubstantiated rumor, Obama said that he was not present for the soundclips that were being plastered all over the news.

Quote:
I'm glad that someone that brands his own grandmother as a "typical white person" can provide such eloquent insight on the Major Issue of Race.
His speech on race has been heralded by countless sources, albeit not Fox News, as one of the most impressive speeches in US political history.

And question, do you disagree with what Obama said about white people's typical response to running into a black man on the street or do you just think he shouldn't say it?

Also, Mike Huckabee of all people summed up the situation pretty well

Quote:
MIKE HUCKABEE: There are two different stories -- one is Obama’s reaction, the other one is the Rev. Wright’s speech itself. And I think that, you know, Obama has handled this about as well as anybody could. And I agree, it’s a very historic speech. I think that it was an important one and one that he had to deliver, and he couldn’t wait. The sooner he made it, maybe the quicker that this becomes less of the issue. Otherwise, it was the only thing that was the issue in his entire campaign. And I thought he handled it very, very well.

And he made the point, and I think it's a valid one, that you can't hold the candidate responsible for everything that people around him may say or do. You just can't -- whether it's me, whether it's Obama, anybody else. But he did distance himself from the very vitriolic statements.

Now, the second story. It's interesting to me that there are some people on the left that are having to be very uncomfortable with what Louis Wright said, when they all were all over a Jerry Falwell or anyone on the right who said things that they found very awkward and uncomfortable years ago. Many times those were statements lifted out of the context of a larger sermon.

Sermons, after all, are rarely written word-for-word by pastors like Rev. Wright, who are delivering them extemporaneously, and caught up in the emotion of the moment. There are things that sometimes get said, that if you put them on paper and looked at them in print, you'd say, "Well, I didn't mean to say it quite like that."

MSNBC HOST JOE SCARBOROUGH: But, but you never came close to saying five days after September 11 that America deserved what it got -- or that the American government invented AIDS...

HUCKABEE: Not defending his statements.

SCARBOROUGH: Oh, I know you're not. I know you're not. I'm just wondering though: For a lot of people ... would you not guess that there are a lot of independent voters in Arkansas that vote for Democrats sometimes, and vote for Republicans sometimes, that are sitting here wondering how Barack Obama's spiritual mentor would call the United States the US-KKK?

HUCKABEE: I mean, those were outrageous statements, and nobody can defend the content of them.

SCARBOROUGH: But what's the impact on voters in Arkansas? Swing voters.

HUCKABEE: I don't think we know. If this were October, I think it would have a dramatic impact. But it's not October. It's March. And I don't believe that by the time we get to October this is going to be the defining issue of the campaign and the reason that people vote.

And one other thing I think we've got to remember: As easy as it is for those of us who are white to look back and say, "That's a terrible statement," I grew up in a very segregated South, and I think that you have to cut some slack. And I'm going to be probably the only conservative in America who's going to say something like this, but I'm just telling you: We've got to cut some slack to people who grew up being called names, being told, "You have to sit in the balcony when you go to the movie. You have to go to the back door to go into the restaurant. And you can't sit out there with everyone else. There's a separate waiting room in the doctor's office. Here's where you sit on the bus." And you know what? Sometimes people do have a chip on their shoulder and resentment. And you have to just say, I probably would too. I probably would too. In fact, I may have had a more, more of a chip on my shoulder had it been me.

JOE SCARBOROUGH: It's the Atticus Finch line about walking a mile in somebody else's shoes. I remember when Ronald Reagan got shot in 1981. There were some black students in my school that started applauding and said they hoped that he died. And you just sat there and of course you were angry at first, and then you walked out and started scratching your head, going, "Boy, there is some deep resentment there."
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...ee-defend.html
--Murray Rothbard
Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 PM #20
FluffyMumkins
mluffyfumkins

Quote:

Should we just throw the racism discussions under the rug and not let anyone attempt to combat it? The resident has a very special opportunity and that is the ability to speak to America as a whole and spread information and opinion more than any other person. Obama has the perfect opportunity to better America's racial issues if he is elected president.

oh and lawl at "islamofacism"

by the way, it's "fascism" and you sound like an iraq war supporter which makes me giggle
Quote:
His former pastor's words are not representative of Obama and even Obama himself said the pastor's view of society was "distorted". Find another argument to waste your breath on. He lied to no one.

Quote:
"Most white people feel uncomfortable if they are in a situation where they are the only white person in a room of black people or if they see a "shady" and by shady I mean dressed as most 16-30 males tend to be, black person walking down the street. It's not racist, because I feel that way, it's because of how I and most white people have been conditioned."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
FluffyMumkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:16 PM #21
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Saying it's not racist because he doesn't think it's racist is not a valid argument. I don't care if it was widely accepted at one point in time. I don't care who he was specifically referring to. That's like saying that it's acceptable for an old person to use the word "******" because thats simply what they were referred to as in the past and it was acceptable then.
I don't feel like arguing that, all I can say is that the public outcry was far worse for Obama, so most of my fellow Americans agree with me, which is all that really matters in voting season.

Not many people made a big deal about McCain's comments.

Quote:
So he should denounce the church completely because he disagrees with his pastor on this certain issue?
When this "certain issue" happens to be a comment like "God Damn America!," then yes, he should.

Quote:
Should he divorce his wife because she said this was "the first time" she was "truly proud to be an American"?
Don't resort to making sensationalist hypotheticals please.

Quote:
Obama should not have to completely disassociate with someone that has obviously affected his life in a positive way, even if that person sees some things differently than he does.
"Sees things differently?!" I sure he hope he does. If anything, this idiot has affected him in a negative way. Your opinion on this issue is vastly out of line with most Americans, you'll learn this come November.

Quote:
The only people who are worried about this are the sheep that are so strongly and easily persuaded by the media.
An Obama supporter calling anyone a sheep, let alone a conservative Republican whose party is often ridiculed in the media, is outrageous.