Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: What would you rather wield?
Rocket Launcher 3 60.00%
Under-barrel Grenade Launcher 0 0%
Mortar 2 40.00%
TiPX 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 PM #1
ECHO CHARLIE
F = FRUIT LOOP

ECHO CHARLIE has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintball Mortar

So I have this idea for a mortar ill try to post the design. Any other ideas? Any ones built?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM #2
ECHO CHARLIE
F = FRUIT LOOP

where it says the tube diameter is 41.5mm its actually 41mm... i think 41.5 will give the round to much wiggle room
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM #3
DELTA BRAVO

Hey man Im new to the forum. I like your idea. Have you ever seen the painted desert armory mortar? Its basically the same idea but looks much more expensive.
DELTA BRAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM #4
ECHO CHARLIE
F = FRUIT LOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTA BRAVO View Post
Hey man Im new to the forum. I like your idea. Have you ever seen the painted desert armory mortar? Its basically the same idea but looks much more expensive.
yes i have seen them... they seem cool but your right they are like 150 per and i think theres are metal which is nice
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 PM #5
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Why not shoot loose paintballs in a cup that opens for maximum area cover?

The closed round would look to be a waste of trying to hit one location with 6 balls in one shell.

I play at: Urban Assault, McDonald, PA - Steeltown, Etna, PA - Three Rivers Paintball, Freedom, Pa
I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 AM #6
ECHO CHARLIE
F = FRUIT LOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
Why not shoot loose paintballs in a cup that opens for maximum area cover?

The closed round would look to be a waste of trying to hit one location with 6 balls in one shell.
That's a good point and why i will probably make a mortar that is essentially a launcher but smaller and vertical. this was just and idea i had for milsim
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM #7
Boom Master
Scenario Player

That would be a new item here on Specialized Gear.

The Tank Talk section here is the most likely place to get ideas and such as that is where all the tank, cannon, RPG, Mortar guys hang..

Mortars do not seem too popular just in terms of how often we see them in play. Mortars/cannons tend to break about half the paintballs in the barrel from the acceleration. They spread out like sawed off shotguns. Wide area effect in a mortar. The terminal velocity of a paintball is so low, it has to hit something hard to get a break. Many just bounce.

I am not that familiar with Rap 4 gear. Cerntainly never laid hands on one. but I recall comments about their limited range compared to a Nerf Round out of a RPG or tank cannon that can reach out past 50 yards. If correct, it would be well within infantry range of paintballs and vunerable.

I am your basic air cannon guy. If I was going to build a paint mortar, I would be looking for a way to launch a large number of paintballs out of a paintball barrel and keep them all intact. So far that project has successfully fired 5 balls out of one modified barrel all intact, one right behind the other going 250 fps. Trying to put 4 of those modified barrels in a sabot configuration so I can launch 20 balls at a time. My goal has been an 50+ to 100 yard anti tank round in a RPG configuration but it would also lend iteself to a mortar config as well. Right now, I have difficulty imagining a drop in sabot like a mortar shell would. the barrels would be part of the projectiles. Maybe OK if it only goes 10 feet but I have my doubts. I would have to ponder that a bit. Hasn't occured to me until I read your post.

Using a Nerf round as a mortar round, I would use the over sized ID diameter of schedule 20 thin wall PVC and trim the fins on the Nerf to match the Bulb diameter. USe the pretty standared cannon hardware with a sprinkler valve with electronic solenoid. Just rig a light and photo sensor in the base of the mortar so it would trigger the cannon/mortar when the fins broke the beam. I had a muzzle loader using that thin wall. 30 inch barrel and I would just hold the muzzle up and drop in a Nerf. It would take about 2 seconds for the air behind the nerf to pass to the front of it as it fell. I would hear it slide down and go thunk when it hit the bottom about 2 second later. Just about a perfect time interval for a mortar and to get your hands and head out of the way. So cruise over to Tank Talk section.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM #8
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

like boom said a paintball shot out of a mortar doesnt fall fast enoigh to break usually.

I personally use paint filled baloons in my mortar and it works awesome. some fields do not allow it though

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 AM #9
Rickilus

Rickilus has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
has anyone tried looking into actually launching a paintball grenade (like a Tippmann Big Boy or BT M-8/M-12)? maybe make the mortar tube and make it spring loaded with a plunger. I know it would take away from the CO2 discharge effect, or maybe the grenade might "blow up" once it exits the tube. I'm sure if you throw some power smoke under it you'd get a pretty nice effect... if it would work.
Rickilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM #10
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Yep, Stuck them in a RPG launcher. The sport decided it was probably not a good idea. Too much mass with too much velocity.

Took a guys mask off with one launched that way.

Still, a spring loaded launcher with the same velocity and trajectory as a hand thrown grenade would be no different than just tossing one from a safety point of view.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote